British Speedway Forum
Parsloes 1928 nearly

Deadline For Nl Fixtures

I don't think the goal posts should be moved. That's not the issue for me. What has dawned on me is that there seems likely to be a scenario where all the fixtures are completed well before the play offs but not all the results will count towards the final positions. That is ludicrous. As Parsloes has said, and I can't believe that after 5 years he and I have found common ground :lol:, if the PO dates were in the calendar all season (as per the EL) for either late next week or early the following week then the 12/9 deadline would make sense. If, as suggested (and I wasn't aware of the potential), the POs don't go ahead until October then 12/9 deadline makes no sense and should never have been agreed. There seems a complete and total lack of common sense from the-powers-that-be in this country.

QUOTE: Do the Hitmen have no more matches before the cut-off then?

According to the SGB webite under 'Fixtures/Sept 2010' KL take on Buxton for their last NL match on Sat. 11th.

BUT there's nothing on the KL site to this effect, and Buxton's site (latest 'News' = July !) has it as TBA. - ??

QUOTE: the pointless Dudley league match against Weymouth the following week, - does that even need to be run now ?

Most certainly. We still want to sit on top of that table !

QUOTE: The 12/9 deadline was agreed by all the chairmen at the AGM prior to the start of the season.

The EL Cut-off has flexed. With no TV screening why is the NL seemingly inflexible ? Why is any Play-Off even needed ?

The more sensible PL doesn't need one to determine its Champion, - a few top-of-table season fillers to bring in a crowd for a match against a strong draw.

This subject (under at least 3 Topic headings) has raised more postings on this site than any other recent matter.

The promoters must realise the issues that the subject causes in all 3 leagues. Okay, Sky calls the tune in the EL, but there is no excuse for the other leagues to make a fool of our sport. In 2009 the EL commenced the season declaring the Play-Offs would involve the top SIX teams - in a NINE-team league ! ! How ridiculous was that? Common sense eventually prevailed and an AGM agreement was justifiably changed.

The EL Cut-off has flexed. With no TV screening why is the NL seemingly inflexible ? Why is any Play-Off even needed ?

The more sensible PL doesn't need one to determine its Champion, - a few top-of-table season fillers to bring in a crowd for a match against a strong draw.

This subject (under at least 3 Topic headings) has raised more postings on this site than any other recent matter.

The promoters must realise the issues that the subject causes in all 3 leagues. Okay, Sky calls the tune in the EL, but there is no excuse for the other leagues to make a fool of our sport.

This sums it up perfectly and is THE most sensible and accurate post ever on this subject! :approve:

As you say, just like Rugby League's 'Super League', for our EL Sky TV call the tune and so there need to be play-offs.

But as the PL (entirely sensibly) no longer follows suit and instead - shock! horror! - crown as champions the team which finishes top of the division once all matches have been completed; then absolultely there's no reason for the NL to carry on any more with the daft and entirely self-defeating play off system... :neutral:

And yes, I will STILL 100% believe this even if by some unlikely miracle the Buccs qualify and then win the 2010 play-offs!!! :wink:

Incidentally, I seem to recall that the PL abandoned the play-offs to decide the champs after a year when , I think it was, Birmingham missed out even though eventually finishing higher than others who made it through..: so maybe the situation we're in this year will inspire our league's chairpersons to follow suit at their next conference..? :unsure:

QUOTE: the pointless Dudley league match against Weymouth the following week, - does that even need to be run now ?

Most certainly. We still want to sit on top of that table !

I agree entirely with that. It's far from a pointless fixture given our situation. It would be a great tool to beat Dudley Council with if we could present a final league table that shows us top of the pile.

I agree entirely with that. It's far from a pointless fixture given our situation. It would be a great tool to beat Dudley Council with if we could present a final league table that shows us top of the pile.

agreed 21st.even if we dont end up champs it would be good to finish top.lets be honest dudley council wouldnt understand the play offs.how could they when no one in speedway does!!!!

Fair point on the Weymouth fixture folks!

The point made by 21stCH about all the fixtures being completed before the playoffs commence but not actually counting has just struck me too.

So we might beat Weymouth and finish top of the league but wont have got first semifinal pick. Worse still, whoever finishes 5th will miss out on the playoffs, then might move into fourth place before the playoffs are run, and have to sit and watch the team below them in the table compete to win the league! :blink:

So we might beat Weymouth and finish top of the league but wont have got first semifinal pick. Worse still, whoever finishes 5th will miss out on the playoffs, then might move into fourth place before the playoffs are run, and have to sit and watch the team below them in the table compete to win the league! :blink:

I think its a total farce, but it has happened before sadly in the Premier League in 2007. We ended up finishing second but at the cut off date we werent in the play offs and the BSPA wouldnt move it. It all came down to the Glasgow Away meeting, it was rained off in June then rescheduled for September just before the cut off but yet again it was rained off. They wouldnt move the cut off date so we had no choice but to not run it before the cut off. So we were fifth but its hardly our fault it was rained off twice yet we had our play off hopes snatched away by the BSPA. :mad:

I think its a total farce, but it has happened before sadly in the Premier League in 2007. We ended up finishing second but at the cut off date we werent in the play offs and the BSPA wouldnt move it. It all came down to the Glasgow Away meeting, it was rained off in June then rescheduled for September just before the cut off but yet again it was rained off. They wouldnt move the cut off date so we had no choice but to not run it before the cut off. So we were fifth but its hardly our fault it was rained off twice yet we had our play off hopes snatched away by the BSPA. :mad:

Which led to the unfair system of the play-offs being scrapped in the PL... Why on earth do we still have them in the NL!!!

A worrying weekend so far of bad crashes and injuries (best wishes to Buzz and Marc and to the injured Newport riders..) sees nonetheless, Rye House fail to get the points they needed for the play-offs.

It's Plymouth's now unless the Buccs can get a point at KL tomorrow...!!

Newport have ended top is that right..?

Yep, now KL v Bournemouth is the last NL match before the cut off date which is midnight tomorrow

so the top of the NL Table is;

1, Newport 45 pts

2, Dudley 42 pts

3, Buxton 41 pts

4, Plymouth 27 pts (+42)

5, Bournemouth 27 pts (+33 pts)

Edited by LFC1892

Yep, now KL v Bournemouth is the last NL match before the cut off date which is midnight tomorrow

so the top of the NL Table is;

1, Newport 45 pts

2, Dudley 42 pts

3, Buxton 41 pts

4, Plymouth 27 pts (+42)

5, Bournemouth 27 pts (+33 pts)

Thanx. So one would have to assume that Newport will choose the 4th. finishers regardless; with Buxton/Dudley reprising their KOc semi with palay-off semi too!! I wonder if indeed if that's the case whether the Cup & P/O matches might be reversed..: ie hold the P/os first..?? :neutral:

Thanx. So one would have to assume that Newport will choose the 4th. finishers regardless; with Buxton/Dudley reprising their KOc semi with palay-off semi too!! I wonder if indeed if that's the case whether the Cup & P/O matches might be reversed..: ie hold the P/os first..?? :neutral:

No offence to the KOC, but the Play Offs are more important

No offence to the KOC, but the Play Offs are more important

Simple solution, (probably too simple for the BSPA,) - - -

One match, 15 hts, 2 competitions, ie match winner wins semi of both Play-off and KOC .

Its been done before.

That won't work, because they're two different competitions and if we run how you suggest britmet, a team could experience a fair amount of bad luck in the meeting, which would jeopardise their involvement in the competition. It's better and alot more simple to run them as normal meetings or do double headers on the same night. It's a fairer solution for all concerned.

That won't work, because they're two different competitions and if we run how you suggest britmet, a team could experience a fair amount of bad luck in the meeting, which would jeopardise their involvement in the competition. It's better and alot more simple to run them as normal meetings or do double headers on the same night. It's a fairer solution for all concerned.

It can work, 'cos its worked before, - Midland Lge matches as one with main league.

A fair amount of bad luck can occur in any meeting, a single meeting, a double-header, or a 2-in-1 mtg.

Whats the fans won't wear, particular if admission price is up 70%, is a double header with the second against the same team as an hour earlier; - P'boro v. Eastbourne, ELA & ELB, a few years ago. A flop, particularly gate-wise.