British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Not Blinkered

International Speedway - Different Rules?

Are the rules different for international speedway, SGP and SWC compared to domestic British speedway? I have always watched speedway with the result always awarded if there is a crash on the last lap where the result was not in doubt, the ref awards the race. Yet tonight and during the SWC on last lap incidents that idiot Pearson keeps waffling on about 'was the leader of the race across the line when the red light came on'. Now I will take the idiot comment back if the rules are different for international speedway than domestic British speedway?

Edited by Not Blinkered

lol you should take back the idiot comment since the rules in international speedway do not allow for awarding a race.

Fair enough, thank you for clarifying, he is not an idiot on this occasion. :)

lol you should take back the idiot comment since the rules in international speedway do not allow for awarding a race.

Yet in the Nordic GP, Nicki Pedersen was awarded 2nd place when he fell on the last bend and never completed the race.

Even if Gollob had already crossed the line when the red lights had come on, then the only result they could have called was Gollob, Zetterstron and no other finishers.

Yet in the Nordic GP, Nicki Pedersen was awarded 2nd place when he fell on the last bend and never completed the race.

Even if Gollob had already crossed the line when the red lights had come on, then the only result they could have called was Gollob, Zetterstron and no other finishers.

Yep, it's something that I would like to have clarified.

It seems that FIM rules don't allow a race to be "awarded" before 4 laps have been completed by at least the race leader. However, from several incidents over the years it seems that it's acceptable to "award" a race result when someone is wiped out late in the race and the leader has crossed the line before the ref puts on the red lights...

I don't know if that IS the case, but it certainly seems to be the way that refs over recent years have interpreted it.

The suggestion that the race in Vojens should have been declared as Gollob, Zetterstrom and no other finisher is ridiculous. Nicki was clearly wiped out by Freddie while well clear of Zorro, so either the race has to be run again from the start or Nicki gets "awarded" 2nd. The decision of the ref was surely the right one.

TNT, I've already answered this elsewhere but I'll repeat it here:

Races CAN be awarded - but ONLY if they are completed. Gollob had crossed the finishing line, so therefore the race could be awarded. Had Gollob not crossed the finishing line, there would have to be a re-run.

The rules were set up like they are, an incident in the 1973 World Final, when Zenon Plech was leading a race which would have taken him into the run-off for first place with Szczakiel & Mauger, brough down by a Russian, and as Peter Collins crossed the finishing line, the race was awarded to Collins despite the fact Plech had been a street ahead of him until the Russian brought Plech down. These days, the referee can award the places as they were at the time of the incident, but only provided one or more of the riders finish the race.

It's all in the FIM rulebook.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam