British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Pawlicki And His Average Manipulation

Watch it Barney, the Lynch mob will be after you for daring to go against the Coventry Mafia. :D

I agree with you as well. Teams should always field their strongest lineup at all times, but this has obviously not been the case with Coventry and Pawlicki. He could have ridden something like 24 meetings this season. He rode 11. He was kept out of the Swindon meeting not because he was injured (he wasn't injured enough to stop him riding, proved by his riding either side of that fixture, on the MOnday against Peterborrough and the Sunday on the continent) but simply because of two points.

1. He would only have ridden 11 meetings, therefore retaining his 4 point average for 2011.

2. He would remain on his 4 point average instead of going into the team, meaning he would be at resrve for the playoff final.

I don't see Pawlicki missing the Swindon match as a problem because the club tell us he was injured but he did miss an awful lot of matches for no apparent reason prior to that.

Another myth, We first spoke to him about coming here when he had no Polish club, then there was a whole host of reasons why he did not make his debut over here, including the days of national mourning for the Polish President. There has been a legitimate reason for him missing every meeting, and the majority were down to the fact he was obliged to ride in Poland, I believe he actually missed out on qualifying for the Polish under 21 final, yet the Polish federation gave him a widlcard which meant he missed further meetings. Coventry have siffered through not being able to use him dont forget that.

I know Ford's hardly the person to question the legality of the use of a rule but he may not be totally wrong. The question must be asked as to whether the #8 came about to cover the (authorised) absence of double-uppers who could easily be riding PL matches on the same day without the use of guests or whether the #8 was introduced as a squad rider covering unauthorised absences.

Speedway's unwritten rule is that a 1-7 is declared and that 1-7 should be used whenever possible with the #8 as cover for legitimately missing reserves. Leaving a declared rider out because 'we want to' has always been wrong and I can't actually see anywhere in the rules where that is now acceptable. Although I accept that somebody wishing to can read the rules pertaining to #8's that way, is that what was meant by the rule when it was introduced (in the same way as 6/6 meant 7/5 when Wolves wanted JBJ)?

I don't see Pawlicki missing the Swindon match as a problem because the club tell us he was injured but he did miss an awful lot of matches for no apparent reason prior to that. Were Coventry acting within the spirit of the game/law when they left a declared rider out just so as he didn't get to the twelve match point? Coventry obviously think so but Poole may not.

I don't care whether a team that started a point above every other team in the league or a team that finished nearly half-way down the table are declared champions of this year's EL, but I would question a rider deliberately being pulled out of matches so as not to get an average being used at reserve next year.

Fair comment Barney Rabbit, but if you have a look on the bees website the absences of Pawlicki are well documented. He was involved in a number of pre or re-arranged meetings in Poland. A lot were championship qualifiers. Remember he signed for Coventry after the commencment of the season. His absence was a source of frustration to Coventry supporters who saw their club still losing matches after strengthening the team.

Watch it Barney, the Lynch mob will be after you for daring to go against the Coventry Mafia. :D

I agree with you as well. Teams should always field their strongest lineup at all times, but this has obviously not been the case with Coventry and Pawlicki. He could have ridden something like 24 meetings this season. He rode 11. He was kept out of the Swindon meeting not because he was injured (he wasn't injured enough to stop him riding, proved by his riding either side of that fixture, on the MOnday against Peterborrough and the Sunday on the continent) but simply because of two points.

1. He would only have ridden 11 meetings, therefore retaining his 4 point average for 2011.

2. He would remain on his 4 point average instead of going into the team, meaning he would be at resrve for the playoff final.

Why can't you be honest, just for once!

Edited by 21st century heathen

I'm pretty sure Phil. was referring to Steve Shovlar's constant bragging about Poole having the same 1-7 all season not your post. Some people just click on the 'Reply' icon which quotes the last post, which in this case was yours instead of 'Add Reply' at the bottom. :wink:

Now that makes sense so I'm glad some of the more sensible Poole fans know where to put the blame. Madsen even said in the Speedway Star that 'his side couldn't stand the pressure'. Perhaps also the reason for failure could be earlier on when the Pirates decided to take on Wolverhampton instead of Peterborough? In hindsight this may have been the wrong decision as Wolves knocked Coventry out of the K.O. Cup so could have done the same in the Play-Offs, leaving a Poole v Peterborough final. Perhaps having the 2nd leg was wrong as well as it left Coventry with the option of using two tacticals if the aggregate score was being reduced. But hey ho it's all over now and it's just a shame a few Pirates fans and Matt Ford are so bitter and twisted. :neutral:

Apologies for being picky but that would have left a Poole v Wolves final.

Why can't you be honest, just for once!

My post there was completely spot on, honest and a fact!

I agree with you as well. Teams should always field their strongest lineup at all times, but this has obviously not been the case with Coventry and Pawlicki.

Is this pointless thread STILL going!!!!

Poole should know about fielding dodgy line ups, given the sick note for Screen last year. :rolleyes:

My post there was completely spot on, honest and a fact!

No it wasn't Steve , there is no way that Pawlicki could have ridden in all those matches and I think you know it!

Steve Shovlar, I did ask you a question yesterday but you have not yet replied ? either you did not read it or understand it ? so i'll try again ?

'Are you allowed within the rules to replace any member of your team with your No8' ?

Dribble, dribble, dribble. SS wouldn't know a fact or honesty if they bit him on the derriere.rolleyes.gif

Well. Are you going to answer the question Mitch has put to you or not.

Edited by colincooke

No it wasn't Steve , there is no way that Pawlicki could have ridden in all those matches and I think you know it!

Granted he would have missed a few, but he could easily have ridden more than 12. A Wolves fan posted a list of all the meetings he missed. Quite a few of them are unexplained.

God this is so boring. Why don't you answer the question Steve instead of repeating the same thing over and over again.

Is there anything in the rules to prevent a team using their number 8 in place of any rider?

Edit....so you've changed your post. :rolleyes: You'd make a brilliant politician.

Edited by Gemini

Another myth, We first spoke to him about coming here when he had no Polish club, then there was a whole host of reasons why he did not make his debut over here, including the days of national mourning for the Polish President. There has been a legitimate reason for him missing every meeting, and the majority were down to the fact he was obliged to ride in Poland, I believe he actually missed out on qualifying for the Polish under 21 final, yet the Polish federation gave him a widlcard which meant he missed further meetings. Coventry have siffered through not being able to use him dont forget that.

I understand what your saying but, after he signed, Coventry had 24 EL matches left, of which he rode only 11 - not 9, not 10, not 12, not 13, but 11. It's that unique number that immediately makes people ask questions. Missing 54% of the matches must make him one of the most unreliable riders over here. I'm pretty sure there was 'a legitimate reason for him missing every meeting' but all the same, missing 13 out oif 24?

I think someone is on the wind up here and i cant believe so many are taking the bait! Cov won fair and square and within the rules. This must be one of the longest threads about something about nothing.

Any way have to get ready for tonights celebrations, think pawlicki should be riding tonight as it won't affect his average :lol:

God this is so boring. Why don't you answer the question Steve instead of repeating the same thing over and over again.

Is there anything in the rules to prevent a team using their number 8 in place of any rider?

Edit....so you've changed your post. :rolleyes: You'd make a brilliant politician.

Just a simple Question BUT could end all this nonsence !!

YES or NO will do !