British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dirt

Sgp2 Or Breakaway Series

With all the controversy associated with the SGP selections and overall unfairness for a lot of riders who want to ride it, it makes sense to have a rival comp/series to compete against OR alongside the SGP and give the fans what they want.

Not just live fans also it would be big for television ratings/rights all over speedway countries. Evan OZ and some broadcasting deals would almost match the SGP IMO!

A lot of the older riders in SGP, are not as exciting to see all the time as they have done it all before, reached their peak and fans simply have seen what they can and have done and so its a bit like groundhog day, with the only excitement being the young additions like Holder and Emil etc although seeing Gollob win one would have been special this time but you know what I mean?

If feasible I believe another series could be run on either the same day as the GPs but another country and track, or alternate Saturdays as the GPs, whichever is best.

The SGPs would be like EL if you like with the new series like PL. :wink: But as you would be aware the 16 riders in SGP are far from black and white the best 16, and evan if they were the speedway fans have seen most of them enough. And would get some enjoyment to say the least from seeing the next best 16 or evan 30 odd riders on a performance based rotation system or form based rotation system, which they wouldnt of seen much or any of. All the gunning future stars or blokes early 20s or late 20s evan who may or may not ride in England and may or may not ever break into the GPs. The riders would have to be interested BUT I believe they might just be...Blokes like Schlein, Stead, Batchelor, All the blokes who did GP Qualifiers but missed out etc. What have these blokes got to focus on or strive for or get excited about when the others are doing the GPs?? Nothing!

If those blokes never reach the GPs because they dont get a lucky pick - it would be a travesty NOT to have another BIG series for them to be acknowledged and for them to experience something other than team racing every week. Also it will at least give them the chance to see exactly how good they are and not have a question mark hanging over their head forever?

This new series should be based on young riders who unluckily havent cracked into SGP and are frustrated and wondering if they will ever make it. It could be an accomplishment in its own right to make the series and also an opportunity to stake their claims for a SGP berth next season, if they prove worthy.

There is no doubt a field of 16 could put on just as exciting a meeting as the 16 in SGP and as their young and relatively unknown/unproven it just increases the anticipation and fascination IMO. Provided they can make the series meaningful and prestigous enough through promotion etc and not just a dead rubber. That is the key.

This has all come about because of the compromised SGP that is not a fair playing field and must surely frustrate riders/fans and any true fan who wants to see the BEST riders have a fair chance to win the thing.

By running a fair/honest merit based series like im proposing maybe it would be a hit with fans, nothing to complain about?

Maybe it would force the SGP to do a better job of running their disasterous unfair compromised effort.

I am saying a breakaway or unsanctioned series could be put together, with the 25 odd riders just below the GP all being invited. 10- odd rounds with tracks that want to host a round considered on likely crowds and the best interests of the sport.

The TV broadcasting rights would make money IMO and would be vital for exposure for sponsors and I believe it could thrive in all speedway countries evan non speedway countries.

Anyway what are peoples comments?

Bear in mind my original thoughts were probably much better portrayed, but my computer froze so this is my 2nd/3rd effort in making my points and I have found it difficult to recapture my motivation to write this speil.

cheers! :P

Edited by dirt

They could organize a series for riders aged 21 or below. It could possibly be called The World Under 21 Championship or something.

They could organize a series for riders aged 21 or below. It could possibly be called The World Under 21 Championship or something.

Um what about all the riders over that age group and anyway it is hardly well organised or a money making competition with no TV coverage at all.

What im suggesting would benefit all the riders too old for the U/21s which is pretty clear!

Theres a lot of time for a rider to demonstrate his ability from 21 until they retire, but only a handful get the chance because of a floored WC or SGP system.

My proposal would rival or match the successful SGP I believe, and be hugely beneficial for all the riders OVER 21 - how you could compare my idea to the Junior W.C. Only you will know.

Is that your only feedback! :D Pathetic. :rolleyes:

Would be interesting to see some of the younger riders, who aren't quite GP standard, do battle over a whole season.

Um what about all the riders over that age group and anyway it is hardly well organised or a money making competition with no TV coverage at all.

What im suggesting would benefit all the riders too old for the U/21s which is pretty clear!

Theres a lot of time for a rider to demonstrate his ability from 21 until they retire, but only a handful get the chance because of a floored WC or SGP system.

My proposal would rival or match the successful SGP I believe, and be hugely beneficial for all the riders OVER 21 - how you could compare my idea to the Junior W.C. Only you will know.

Is that your only feedback! :D Pathetic. :rolleyes:

The problem with introducing another 'World' series would be one of marketing. Maybe putting more emphasis on the European Championship would be the way and an Australasian Championship during your summer would be the way?

The problem with introducing another 'World' series would be one of marketing. Maybe putting more emphasis on the European Championship would be the way and an Australasian Championship during your summer would be the way?

weve already got oz champs - and TBH that may not always evan be that important to all the riders but for the top 3 getting into GP Qualifiers.

My point is the GP riders have something extra other than club 2 club meets to strive for and prove themself in and focus on.

The ones left out BUT with huge ability still do nothing all year!!! but watch the GPs prob on telly or have the saturday off and prob would like to and deserve to have some recognition and meaning in their speedway season. be it on the same saturday or the opposite saturday as the GPs! would be a big hit for TV viewers dont worry about that, and this sport needs something to make up for the unfair and biased way the GPs are done, not to mention other than those crooked GPs their is little individual meetings any more. So this couldnt go wrong really as it has little to beat, with the compromised integrity and selection based fracus that is the WC or SGP.

I dont expect anything other than ridicule from this posting BUT it has merit for mine.

weve already got oz champs - and TBH that may not always evan be that important to all the riders but for the top 3 getting into GP Qualifiers.

My point is the GP riders have something extra other than club 2 club meets to strive for and prove themself in and focus on.

The ones left out BUT with huge ability still do nothing all year!!! but watch the GPs prob on telly or have the saturday off and prob would like to and deserve to have some recognition and meaning in their speedway season. be it on the same saturday or the opposite saturday as the GPs! would be a big hit for TV viewers dont worry about that, and this sport needs something to make up for the unfair and biased way the GPs are done, not to mention other than those crooked GPs their is little individual meetings any more. So this couldnt go wrong really as it has little to beat, with the compromised integrity and selection based fracus that is the WC or SGP.

I dont expect anything other than ridicule from this posting BUT it has merit for mine.

I was thinking that maybe the Australasian Series could be based on the old David Tapp thing and have a few rounds in NZ. The European Championship tag could be used as a promotable name for the northern hemisphere series and could include those riders who are just outside the GPs. Could even have a form of promotion and relegation between the two series then. Bottom 8 at the end of the GPs drop down to the European champs, top 8 from that series into the GPs. Would give riders such as Ward, Woffy etc a slightly less pressurized training series.

I was thinking that maybe the Australasian Series could be based on the old David Tapp thing and have a few rounds in NZ. The European Championship tag could be used as a promotable name for the northern hemisphere series and could include those riders who are just outside the GPs. Could even have a form of promotion and relegation between the two series then. Bottom 8 at the end of the GPs drop down to the European champs, top 8 from that series into the GPs. Would give riders such as Ward, Woffy etc a slightly less pressurized training series.

And how exactly does your australasian series fit into any of this? What would Ward and Woffy be doing? riding a glorified 'australasian series' in NZ :D what a waste of money! already got enough meetings in Aussieland in UK winter, and dont need to waste more money putting on displays for NZ. Im talking about during UK s/way season, dont worry about Aussie season it will look after itself.

Or would Ward and Woffy be in the European championship?

That post must take the cake for the most confusing post ever in the history of all forums. Evan after reading it 10 times I still cant understand any logic or evan any attempt at making sense.

What a waste of time trying to make sense of that utter red herring or completely clueless assessment of the topic at hand.

And how exactly does your australasian series fit into any of this? What would Ward and Woffy be doing? riding a glorified 'australasian series' in NZ :D what a waste of money! already got enough meetings in Aussieland in UK winter, and dont need to waste more money putting on displays for NZ. Im talking about during UK s/way season, dont worry about Aussie season it will look after itself.

Or would Ward and Woffy be in the European championship?

That post must take the cake for the most confusing post ever in the history of all forums. Evan after reading it 10 times I still cant understand any logic or evan any attempt at making sense.

What a waste of time trying to make sense of that utter red herring or completely clueless assessment of the topic at hand.

You started a thread with a vague idea, fair play, that's how ideas come about. I put some ideas forward. If you didn't want anyone to contribute why didn't you say?

You started a thread with a vague idea, fair play, that's how ideas come about. I put some ideas forward. If you didn't want anyone to contribute why didn't you say?

:rolleyes: vague idea? I planned every minute detail and explained the reasons IMO, and it was a fairly simple idea to grasp. First you mention u21s which was an expectable mistake and you got the benefit of the doubt. Your next post was so far from a believable 'idea' it has destroyed my faith in humanity. Please feel free to explain what you meant about australasian series and european series ?

And ask yourself is it a better idea than mine. If you really believe so please explain some more details in a way that makes some sort of sense. Dont see how your european series could possibly TOP a sgp2 with ALL nationalities able to be selected based on merit. Not discrimination, as your first policy or priority???

Edited by dirt

:rolleyes: vague idea? I planned every minute detail and explained the reasons IMO, and it was a fairly simple idea to grasp. First you mention u21s which was an expectable mistake and you got the benefit of the doubt. Your next post was so far from a believable 'idea' it has destroyed my faith in humanity. Please feel free to explain what you meant about australasian series and european series ?

And ask yourself is it a better idea than mine. If you really believe so please explain some more details in a way that makes some sort of sense. Dont see how your european series could possibly TOP a sgp2 with ALL nationalities able to be selected based on merit. Not discrimination, as your first policy or priority???

I suggested the title of European Championship to make it a marketable series and to make a clear difference from the World Championship. Never said owt about non-europeans being allowed in so no need for you to be paranoid about discrimination.

Run the Grand Prix Series as it is with it's 'selected' Riders. Winner = Speedway Grand Prix Champion.

Run a Championship for everyone else through Qualifiers etc. Winner = World Champion.

Simple!!!

How about a series of rounds , starting off early season in individual countries, lets say quarter, semi and fina., For arguments sake lets use britain as an example, so british quarter finals , british semi finals, british final, then move on and incorporate the most succesful riders from ,um, over seas maybe and call it, um, the "overseas final", after that , bring in some riders from different continents and call it, err, how about the "inter continental final", and the "continental final " for most of europe.

By doing this, every rider in the world, through qualifying would have a chance on the big stage to ride against the best riders from all over the world, the whole series could be topped off by one big event, say , maybe called something grand like "the world final" where the winner couold be called "world champion".

That might just work........

Run the Grand Prix Series as it is with it's 'selected' Riders. Winner = Speedway Grand Prix Champion.

Run a Championship for everyone else through Qualifiers etc. Winner = World Champion.

Simple!!!

I like it, but which would be the more prestigous, or goal/dream for the riders?

How about a series of rounds , starting off early season in individual countries, lets say quarter, semi and fina., For arguments sake lets use britain as an example, so british quarter finals , british semi finals, british final, then move on and incorporate the most succesful riders from ,um, over seas maybe and call it, um, the "overseas final", after that , bring in some riders from different continents and call it, err, how about the "inter continental final", and the "continental final " for most of europe.

By doing this, every rider in the world, through qualifying would have a chance on the big stage to ride against the best riders from all over the world, the whole series could be topped off by one big event, say , maybe called something grand like "the world final" where the winner couold be called "world champion".

That might just work........

hahha But with all the GP riders busy nowadays - it wouldnt be quite the same. Unless you scrapped the SGP altogether which wont happen.

So while the one off world final did have huge anticipation and excitement drawing 100000 odd through the turnstiles. Only DVDS and videos will bring them back.

Times have moved on, and the gp's arent useless, but the GP system is floored so why not up the ante and run another one to help the people running the SGP... by not letting them destroy riders chances and careers by lucky 'selections' or not... lucky 'wildcards' or not, all decided with vested interests and a degree of pot luck or nationality discrimination which is an absolute shambles, and i'd be willing to bet the riders hate the current system.

This is possibly the most important matter ever in the sport - but no doubt the powers that be are busy thinking up other better concepts like a super wildcard - letting Woffinden make his own mind up - inviting Nicholls back - Letting the current riders in the GPs ride in a GP qualifier event thus compromising it completely - I could go on all day.

From a selfish Australian point of view YES I can see merit in a bigger Australian/Australasian Series, Now I take a step back and look properly! :wink: Maybe I could not last night at 3am.

In fact it is a top idea.

But could a big Australasian series attract the crowds to make it viable GOOD QUESTION. Possibly, with some promotion/marketing.

Could the distance between venues be managed or overcome. YES.

Can the bikes from Europe be transported to OZ altogether in a shipping container on a boat? YES and IS each year.

Would the riders have the motivation to do it IF it was anything other than The Aussie Championships, which will always have such prestige and Pride, associated to it? NO

So that puts that one to bed. Gave it a thought BUT the riders need a break in the off season, and have a choice what meetings they do in OZ. Impossible to fire up such a series when the riders have just completed a gruelling schedule in the European season.

Its a wonder they can get up for the OZ championships. :D

Calling a sgp2 a European Championship is a thought, but not a clear cut good idea. Dont think it would matter that much TBH as the product and integrity of such a series could be called just about anything you wish - if the formula was right.

If it was taken seriously then a name could be decided.

For mine it would probably require someone with a lot of power to start such a proposal, and unless some of the reported Millionaire Owners of Polish Clubs show an interest in putting their money to good use, it may never get off the ground.

Good idea for the riders and fans. But unlikely as no one has the best interests of the sport in mind at the minute. :(

Still it cant get any worse, so theres no point moaning, it can only get better, but how much better is the question. :)