British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

New Teams For Nl

But would take a miracle to get Speedway approved at the London Rd. track - as this is literally surrounded by homes. Indeed I know of no dog track so completely surrounded by houses..: why it's virtually in people's back gardens!!!

I would have thought a couple of hours a week would hardly be noticed so close to the main East of England railway line.

Malcolm Vasey

I would have thought a couple of hours a week would hardly be noticed so close to the main East of England railway line.

Malcolm Vasey

Indeed Malc - but do you honesttly think the NIMBYs and their plans in the Council's Environmental Health and Planning dep'ts would see it that way... :angry:

I wonder if anyone looked into the possibilty of relocating the 'Bombers' to London Rd. (the dog track) when thrown out of Brooklands in '72..? :unsure: That was perhaps the time to have tried this approach... :neutral:

If you are trying to run speedway in a holiday/coastal area you rely on people on holiday to form the bulk of your crowd, hence you need to operate mid week when the visitors have had time to find your publicity and are looking for some evening activity as an alternative to the cinema and the pub. They tend to arrive on Saturday but are inactive on Saturday night because they can be tired from the journey, Sunday is hit the beach time so Tuesday or Wednesday is ideal, Trelawny lost money on every Sunday meeting we ran.

Isle of Wight run Tuesdays because of the above, Weymouth used to be Tuesdays in the old days. think they would get better crowds on Thursdays (Tuesday and Wednesday not now available)

Have heard a rumour, and it IS a rumour that Newport may switch to Thursday night racing

May i take it that Plymouth will be running NL for 2011, so it appears we have lost Weymouth from last year, but have gained Stoke, there remains the possibility of both Weymouth and Mildenhall, and possibly at least 1 other, but i would hazard a guess some enterprizing EL or PL promoter may test the water by running a NL Team on Saturday/Sunday under the auspices of a defunct Team.

Taken from the Mildenhall website:

'Mildenhall will begin to learn their fate for next season after the sport’s annual meeting a week today. The BSPA, who now hold the promoting licence for speedway at West Row, will then be able to further advise stadium boss Dave Coventry, who has begun talks with two interested parties. The legal battle involving the stadium and noise complaints has been put back to January 24th when a two-week trial will commence at the High Court.

:D

I really hope Mildenhall and the 'Barmy Army' can once again return to this sport. Good Luck guys ;)

Taken from the Mildenhall website:

'Mildenhall will begin to learn their fate for next season after the sports annual meeting a week today. The BSPA, who now hold the promoting licence for speedway at West Row, will then be able to further advise stadium boss Dave Coventry, who has begun talks with two interested parties. The legal battle involving the stadium and noise complaints has been put back to January 24th when a two-week trial will commence at the High Court.

:D

not got SS to hand but didnt it say he was talking to THREE INTERESTED PARTIES? Does anyone one know who these parties may be?

After the good news about Ipswich this week would be great to have some more good news about Suffolk`s other team.

edit. just looked on Mildenhall website and it mentions 3 parties.

Edited by Tom Thumb

I'd love to see Mildenhall back on track at West Row in 2011, but with the court case over the future of the stadium obviously key to any hopes of this happening and it not even commencing until January - I cannot help thinking the Fen Tigers will continue to be moth-balled for at least another 12 months.

It really does defy belief how the very future of a stadium that has been in use for well over 30 years can be brought in question in the manner that it is, at the apparent whim of a very small minority.

Edited by neil3065

It really does defy belief how the very future of a stadium that has been in use for well over 30 years can be brought in question in the manner that it is, at the apparent whim of a very small minority.

.. and with very acute hearing too as they can't live too near the stadium!!!

And selective hearing at that as they obviously aren't bothered by the huge USAF jets low-flying above at all hours!!!

May i take it that Plymouth will be running NL for 2011, so it appears we have lost Weymouth from last year, but have gained Stoke, there remains the possibility of both Weymouth and Mildenhall, and possibly at least 1 other, but i would hazard a guess some enterprizing EL or PL promoter may test the water by running a NL Team on Saturday/Sunday under the auspices of a defunct Team.

Simmo's column in the new issue of Backtrack says that Sittingbourne (Central Park)are aiming for the NL in 2010, riding on Wednesday evenings at 6pm with Jon Cook being involoved on the management side.

Edited by salty

Plus Peterborough and Coventry if they want to have any kind of Speedway this season :neutral:

Plus Peterborough and Coventry if they want to have any kind of Speedway this season :neutral:

Its just a pity this Stadium is not Near Dudley;

http://meadowcourtstadium.co.uk/gallery/

They have excellant facilities, and could put in a great track, are privately owned guys name is Ted, so to ALL prospective promoters step forward and contact him, he is very amenable, likes a gamble so personally if someone will talk the talk i think there are possibilities. :wink:

or as an alternative there is Askern greyhound Track, but probably only suitable for NL racing.

http://askerngreyhoundstadium.weebly.com/the-track.html

Edited by greyhoundp

Its just a pity this Stadium is not Near Dudley;

http://meadowcourtstadium.co.uk/gallery/

They have excellant facilities, and could put in a great track, are privately owned guys name is Ted, so to ALL prospective promoters step forward and contact him, he is very amenable, likes a gamble so personally if someone will talk the talk i think there are possibilities. :wink:

or as an alternative there is Askern greyhound Track, but probably only suitable for NL racing.

http://askerngreyhoundstadium.weebly.com/the-track.html

No chance its within 30miles of scunny and sheffield