British Speedway Forum
chris1

Newport V Buxton - Nl Playoff 29/10

Dudley have finished top of the league on pts difference only, in fact Buxton have won more meetings than them. er you forgot to mention you LOST 3 more than them also :P

. Under the play off system finishing top of the league is irrelevant. 

Seems to me, it is the play offs which are now irelevant, and with the way end of seasons are being organised, its no wonder crowd figures are down, and speedway is fast digging itself into a black hole, which it may prove difficult to get out of, with its OUT DATED and short sighted <make it up as you go along> approach, to important fixtures. Play off dates need to be put into The diary at the beginning of the season, more meetings need to be held early in the season, rather than having blank weekends, and then one great rush to fit them in before the cut off date,so simple but then this is Speedway, and Speedway doesnt do simple.

Jayne is right that everyone raced under the rules agreed at the start of the season so whoever wins the Play off Final is worthy champions. I'm not clear though - is the Play off Final now one leg as Newport didn't manage to host their leg?

Jayne is right that everyone raced under the rules agreed at the start of the season so whoever wins the Play off Final is worthy champions. I'm not clear though - is the Play off Final now one leg as Newport didn't manage to host their leg?

Correct. It was agreed that if only 1 leg of the KO Cup and Plsyoff finals were to be run, then that 1 leg would be the final result

Fair enough, that's better than not getting a result or holding it over to the start of next season when both teams will almost certainly have different riders. Here's to the best team winning tomorrow.

Just to make one point with regard cut off dates and fixtures is that we at Newport actually did finish all our league fixtures before this date! ;):mad::)

No restaging of first leg - one-off final on Sunday

Source - Buxton twitterfeed

If that is the case then the wholeNL season has been an utter waste of space and a complete farce. I have supported the Hornets all sesaon, going to both Hornets and Wasps meetings which can work out expensive with two meetings on a weekend.

I don't begrudge Buxton winning if it is done in a fair way but to day that winner takes all on a home leg advantage is crazy.

If there is any N; next year, here is one person who won't be paying hard earned money to see it.

Just to make one point with regard cut off dates and fixtures is that we at Newport actually did finish all our league fixtures before this date! ;):mad::)

Main Man, but come you took so long to get on with your play-off matches? And why didn't you restage the meeting in the afternoon today??

All the best

Rob

Dudley have finished top of the league on pts difference only,

in fact Buxton have won more meetings than them. er you forgot to mention you LOST 3 more than them also :P

NATIONAL LEAGUE

M W D L F A PTS

1 Dudley 18 13 0 5 938 724 45

2 Buxton 18 14 0 4 899 722 45

3 Newport 18 13 0 5 878 742 45

4 Rye House 18 10 0 8 801 821 31

5 Bournemouth 18 10 1 7 837 803 30

6 Plymouth 18 9 0 9 844 819 27

7 Isle of Wight 18 6 0 12 779 867 18

8 Scunthorpe 18 5 1 12 743 893 15

9 King's Lynn 18 5 0 13 758 873 14

10 Weymouth 18 4 0 14 719 932 13

Beg to differ - In the NL, Buxton lost 4 meetings to Dudley's 5, although Dudley were the only team to take a point home from Derbyshire in the NL

In addition, Buxton only lost away to IOW and Plymouth in the Trophy (Dudley didn't compete), whilst Dudley beat them in the 2nd leg of the KO Cup Semi Final, and Kings Lynn won the 2nd Leg of the Final.

http://www.speedwaygb.com/nltable10.html sorry mr conkers... just going on this..away dudley lost 1 buxton l 4 :blink: thats as lost ..0pts, dudley went pointless all season at only 1 track..newport ps looooove the sig ;) its a real shame the way things have gone the last few weeks regarding the playoffs for the fans of all the clubs involved and the riders who have put in the effort to get there only for it to turn into a complete mess, also the 4tt down the pan and the nlrc meeting on/off saga, hopefully this wont happen next season :( Edited by wembley81

http://www.speedwaygb.com/nltable10.html sorry mr conkers... just going on this..away dudley lost 1 buxton l 4 :blink: thats as lost ..0pts, dudley went pointless all season at only 1 track..newport ps looooove the sig ;)

Have another look you have to add both L columns together: Dudley 4+1 =5 Buxton 0+4 = 4

Main Man, but come you took so long to get on with your play-off matches? And why didn't you restage the meeting in the afternoon today??

All the best

Rob

Rob. We had to wait to see if it was Bournemouth or Plymouth first then had to wait to agree dates with them. That done we then had to await the Dudley v Buxton semi and even then when we were both through the KO Cup Final had already been arranged. As it was the weather also took hold of the situation.

As for running today we would have loved to but with the NLRC taking precendence couldn't. As I have said believe me we wanted a home leg not just an away one. Perhaps the National Trophy, if it runs in 2011, should be raced after the League has been settled and sorted ? Surely the league is the most important and paramount competition ?

Edited by Main Man

Have another look you have to add both L columns together: Dudley 4+1 =5 Buxton 0+4 = 4

thats why i said sorry to mr conkers..my mistake,,sorry to you too ;) you still had 4 0pt losses tho :P

Rob. We had to wait to see if it was Bournemouth or Plymouth first then had to wait to agree dates with them. That done we then had to await the Dudley v Buxton semi and even then when we were both through the KO Cup Final had already been arranged. As it was the weather also took hold of the situation.

As for running today we would have loved to but with the NLRC taking precendence couldn't. As I have said believe me we wanted a home leg not just an away one. Perhaps the National Trophy, if it runs in 2011, should be raced after the League has been settled and sorted ? Surely the league is the most important and paramount competition ?

Main Man, thanks for replying. Something certainly needs to be done for 2011 (if the play-offs continue. I really don't see the need for them in the National League).

My suggestion would be each club setting aside reserved dates throughout September and the first half of October. E.g. this year, the deadline for the play-offs was Sept 12, so each club should have reserved dates during Sept 16-22 for the first leg of the semis, and Sept 23-29 for the second leg. For the final, each club, should have reserved dates of Sept 30-Oct 6 & Oct 7-13 for the two legs, depending on which they end up staging. Clubs can only put other meetings on in these weeks, once they are out of the play-offs, or was its known that their home leg is not being staged that week.

The aim has to be finish the play-offs by mid-October. The second half of October should be for emergencies only.

All the best

Rob