British Speedway Forum

Worst meeting i've ever seen at Scunny. I could go on a proper rant but i'm not going to so early in the season!

Must admit I really didn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped either :neutral:

Scunny is an awesome race track, but that was awful stuff. Is this a sign of things to come? The silencers were causing problems out on the dirtline leading to everyone sticking to the slick inside line!!

Great move. This will get the crowds flocking back!! :rolleyes:

Must agree that the racing was a let down. After always bigging up the racing at Scunthorpe I feel a little embarrassed by the lack of any grip away from the white line today. Was it the new silencers ? Would love to hear an opinion from the riders.

Being positive, it was great to see the place bursting at the seams and hopefully pots of money raised for such a good cause. :wink:

I think it was poor racing because there wasn't enough dirt on the track, nothing to do with the new silencers.

For me the racing got better as the heats went on,but agreed the outside line was not doing much and cost Bomber 2nd place in the final. I always think the track produces much better racing on a damper rougher surface but with a strong drying wind always difficult during afternoon meetings. Congrats to Hans and well done to Ben Barker best I have seen him ride so far.

Hope plenty of money was raised.

Note to promoters and track shops everywhere get soom cheap air horns cos in my humble opinion atmosphere all over the country seems subdued apart from Cardiff GP. Yeah we are British and clap politely but lets have more presence and let the riders here us- 40000 air horns cannot be wrong :)

Scunny is an awesome race track, but that was awful stuff. Is this a sign of things to come? The silencers were causing problems out on the dirtline leading to everyone sticking to the slick inside line!!

Great move. This will get the crowds flocking back!! :rolleyes:

Were they? What makes you say that? Nobody struggled out wide, there just wasn't much drive out there apart from after each track grade. The track needed more water out wide, there just wasn't any 'bite'.

I think it was poor racing because there wasn't enough dirt on the track, nothing to do with the new silencers.

Thats a more accurate assessment IMO. Plus early season meetings are rarely classics, especially daytime ones.

Probably the least entertaining meeting I've seen at the EWR, but there were several decent heats amongst the processions. Unfortunately the blue groove was too prominant later on in the meeting.

Seemed like a good crowd though so hopefully plenty raised for the cause :approve:

Poor racing and the silencers made it seem like they were riding around on mobility scooters. Sorry Brummies but there has to be SOME noise coming out of the back of a speedway bike.

Highlight was the two codgers playing YMCA on the piano accordion and tuba before the meeting.

Pleased there was a big turnout for the ben fund.

No dirt on the track led to a lack of racing.

No atmosphere among the crowd led a a boring day.

I'm glad plenty of money was raised though. The highlight of the day was the auction after the meeting

Due to us forgeting about the Ben Fund auction - which kind of stole our thunder and rightly drew the main crowd away from the bar

- we decided to save the pic quiz for NEXT FRIDAY evening when our local rivals Sheffield are in town

- so look out for us circulating with the quiz sheets - hand over your cash - fill it in - pop your details on the back and deposit in the bar - Cross fingers you win the 2 VIP passes = simples !

Read more: http://www.scunthorpespeedway.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=sting&thread=48&page=1#ixzz1GQ8MgUzA

The silencers must have had effect on the racing - look at the heat times - nearly every one was 58. something - thats faily evidence that there was a leveller - though I do agree the track was 'slicker' than the norm if anything

Made for an afternoon that will rate a bit processional - still top crowd (not much atmosphere and noise though - Air horns need to be in track shops for certain)and some good money for an excellent cause

Get the season going and we can have a debate on those pesky silencers - Dont think im a fan - and if it spoils the racing then speedway is on it's aris for sure

Were they? What makes you say that? Nobody struggled out wide

Nonsense. Ryan Fisher was scathing of the new silencers after the meetings and claimed every time he tried a wide line his engine was dying.

Air horns need to be in track shops for certain

They're too expensive to buy all the time and the moaning I get from my mates I stand with, wellllll :)

I enjoyed it even though the atmosphere was subdued a lot of the time, lots of reasons for that though.

Well done to Hans on a mission from the outside gate in the final.

Commiserations to Lynn new, old boy, unbeatable for starters then Hans unnerved him when he lifted and lerched on the 2nd bend in their heat together then it didn't happen for him in the semi.

Good to see the Lynn contingent there :)

Fair enough Zodiak, would be interesting to see what the other twenty riders have to say too. Would seem from the terraces that some riders had their bikes set up for the new silencers better than others.

And I should have been more clear, by 'struggled' I meant had problems handling the bike, which is the impression I got from one or two reports on this forum from practices this week.

Edited by Bagpuss

Also to throw in the fact Cryin' Ryan Fisher will thrown in any excuse to cover up the fact he rode like a donkey after his first ride, which he seemed plenty powerful enough getting away from Harris!

Well done Hans :D