British Speedway Forum

I think the Louis' are being unfairly treated by many posters on this forum. I have a lot of admiration for their efforts over the past, lord knows how many years?

They have found it difficult in recent years and I firmly believe they have tried their best to make Ipswich work on a budget, but things have now come to a head for them.

With only one club supposed to have made a profit in 2010 and rich benefactors not exactly queueing up to bail out clubs, it's a wonder they made it this far in a dwindling economy.

Try to think how John must feel right now. He gave his all as a rider and obviously loves his club and speedway. Must be a very sad day for him to have to just give it away and no longer have an involvement.

I genuinely hope that John and Chris can work something out for their club, whichever league they choose.

I think anyone is perfectly justified to slate the Louis on here,in the early days of just over 20years ago Louis Snr and Pavitt things were good,by some people are very bliknkered,why do you think they've not attracted a sponsor on recent years? Knowing a bit of certain goings on over the years I feel criticism isn't out of order

For 21 years Louis Snr (and recently Louis Jnr) has only had the Speedway as his income and seems to have done very well out of it with an extremely nice house etc (fair play to him too),can you see either Louis doing a Buster Chapman and putting their houses up to keep things going?

People see what they see,they pay their money and can voice opinions and in recent years Ipswich Speedway hasnt been great,its definitely gone downhill and if people feel the Promotion could've done more then they are free to say so

Such a shame the last deal didn't happen,let's hope Foxhall doesn't go the same way Oxford did,very sad indeed

I think most of us know where Scott's transfer money went...... and it wasn't on day to day running expenses.

I agree the Promotion do not have to account how they spend THEIR money. However many of the Witches fans are effective stakeholders. They helped raise over £25,000 to help save speedway in Ipswich. Through the 400 Club they have provided around another £120,000 to enable the club to run. These people do this because they love their speedway and are happy to give up their time to help preserve speedway in the town.

I think that gives them the right to ask how some of the money has been spent.

The trouble is with apologists like Badge, JL & Le Enfant Terrible, think they can get away with anything..... and to date they probably have. Sadly for lovers of speedway in Ipswich the faults and mismanagement of previous years are now coming home to roost.

Again the Louis have to take their wages out of the pot,most clubs are run by people who have a business outside Speedway as their main income or sole income,Ipswich have had to find the Promoters income for over 20 years too,and that must mean carrying them through the winter months as well

Edited by Gearhead

One things for sure,Ipswich speedway will have to make a decision by the weekend.They can't go to the conference not knowing whether they are El or Pl.

One things for sure,Ipswich speedway will have to make a decision by the weekend.They can't go to the conference not knowing whether they are El or Pl.

That is exactly what they are doing reading the latest press release from CL, as he says, the future of the club is out of their hands now.

Does anybody know for absolute certainty what Sky have said with regards to the amount of minimum teams that have to be in the EL for them to be interested in covering it?

If it's 9 then we might stand a chance, but if it's 8 then I fear it's bye bye Ipswich - and it will be for good, if it goes I think it's very unlikely to ever come back, the local residents and Spedeworth would put pay to that......

Edited by Ipswich Jules

I think anyone is perfectly justified to slate the Louis on here,in the early days of just over 20years ago Louis Snr and Pavitt things were good,by some people are very bliknkered,why do you think they've not attracted a sponsor on recent years? Knowing a bit of certain goings on over the years I feel criticism isn't out of order

For 21 years Louis Snr (and recently Louis Jnr) has only had the Speedway as his income and seems to have done very well out of it with an extremely nice house etc (fair play to him too),can you see either Louis doing a Buster Chapman and putting their houses up to keep things going?

People see what they see,they pay their money and can voice opinions and in recent years Ipswich Speedway hasnt been great,its definitely gone downhill and if people feel the Promotion could've done more then they are free to say so

Such a shame the last deal didn't happen,let's hope Foxhall doesn't go the same way Oxford did,very sad indeed

They are entitled to earn a crust, one assumes that they are working hard behind the scenes not just on race days, so of course they deserve a decent salary, nobody can be expected to work for nothing. So the only thing the Louis can be slated for is if they are not doing the jobs they are paid for.

What about a consortium of other EL promoters to lease the club for a couple of seasons? They can stick a manager in charge of day to day running and keep enough clubs in the EL to keep it interesting.

"keep" it interesting? It's already a small-time, repetitive league with not enough riders, let alone teams.

Edited by Lovey

That is exactly what they are doing reading the latest press release from CL, as he says, the future of the club is out of their hands now.

Does anybody know for absolute certainty what Sky have said with regards to the amount of minimum teams that have to be in the EL for them to be interested in covering it?

If it's 9 then we might stand a chance, but if it's 8 then I fear it's bye bye Ipswich - and it will be for good, if it goes I think it's very unlikely to ever come back, the local residents and Spedeworth would put pay to that......

I have never understood about the curfew,local residents complaining bit with Ipswich,the track seems miles from anywhere that would be affected.

I would agree that if they went PL, a return to EL would be very unlikely,for example KIngs Lynn have no intention of returning to the EL as far as i know.

I have never understood about the curfew,local residents complaining bit with Ipswich,the track seems miles from anywhere that would be affected.

I would agree that if they went PL, a return to EL would be very unlikely,for example KIngs Lynn have no intention of returning to the EL as far as i know.

One of the main roads leading up to Foxhall is lined with houses (Bell Lane if you wish to look on Google maps) and also the near by Grange Farm housing estate has grown and grown over the past few years in all directions - including towards Foxhall

It's very annoying but the speedway was there before the housing but that doesn't stop people complaining - much like people who buy a house near an airport then complain about the noise it makes!

I don't mean if we drop to the PL it's unlikely we will come back to the EL, I mean if Ipswich speedway close their doors (and they can freeze the license for upto 3 years) then I doubt any form of speedway will ever come back to Ipswich - or Foxhall at least! :(

.....................Does anybody know for absolute certainty what Sky have said with regards to the amount of minimum teams that have to be in the EL for them to be interested in covering it?

As I understand it Sky demand a league of at least 8 teams.

On that basis you would have assumed that Ipswich would have been allowed to switch to PL without a problem. However there is at least one other club (possibly Eastbourne) who would also wish to race in the second tier.

Consequently El Presidente fears that if Ipswich were allowed to move to the PL, another club would follow, reducing the NotSoElite League down to just 7 teams, thus below Sky's requirements.

Where it would start to get interesting is if both teams decided to close, and then a new team would have to be found to bring the NSEL up to the minimum numbers.

And that I suspect is how the politics of the AGM will revolve.

So what is it that 'YOU KNOW' of certain goings on over the years?

Also, I know for a FACT, that JL DID put his house up for the sake of the club, so again, please

enlighten us as to how you know otherwise.

And, in your second post, immediately after the above one, you bang on about the Louis' wages...

Errr.. the speedway club has been their sole source of income, yet you suggest, and yes you do,

that they work for free.

In other words, you are jumping on board the 'Lets slag the Louis' off' bandwagon without any

real inside knowledge of what has been going on within the club.

I won't sit here and defend the dismal teams we have had since 98, but then again, without people

like the Louis', there would be no Ipswich speedway at all, it would have gone to the wall years ago.

I will say this though, I had a 3 hour telephone converstaion with someone last night and I am in

total shock regarding what I was told. And that is so far removed from what people on here are saying

and what the press are reporting its unreal. No, I'm not claiming I'm in the know, but I would believe

what I was told above and beyond what I am reading on here right now.

I have kept away from this thread and just read the rantings, but had to post now, as one or two people

are getting way way out of order with their accusations.

And as for the "You were nothing more than a glorified taxi driver" brigade... how little you really know.

I said a couple of years ago, I should write a book about my time at Ipswich speedway.... maybe I should.

One of the main roads leading up to Foxhall is lined with houses (Bell Lane if you wish to look on Google maps) and also the near by Grange Farm housing estate has grown and grown over the past few years in all directions - including towards Foxhall

It's very annoying but the speedway was there before the housing but that doesn't stop people complaining - much like people who buy a house near an airport then complain about the noise it makes!

As Jules has mentioned, take a look on googlemaps - there is housing behind the trees on the back straight. The most recent housing on Bixley Farm (fourth bend) is also closer. Grange Farm is part of Kesgrave and is further over to the east.

Ironically it's the stock car racing which causes the biggest racket. I live a mile or so away on Grange Farm, and when when the wind is blowing our way on a Saturday night or Sunday afternoon, all you can hear is the steady roar of engines.

So what is it that 'YOU KNOW' of certain goings on over the years?

Also, I know for a FACT, that JL DID put his house up for the sake of the club, so again, please

enlighten us as to how you know otherwise.

And, in your second post, immediately after the above one, you bang on about the Louis' wages...

Errr.. the speedway club has been their sole source of income, yet you suggest, and yes you do,

that they work for free.

So Chris Louis works for Sky for nothing ....very good of him i must say .

This is where I get confused. If Sky demand 9 teams and Ipswich won't stay EL and are refused entry to the PL, how will Ipswich closing help that particular situation? The EL will still only have 8 teams. I can't see any PL team being forced to go EL in the current economic climate, so surely for the sake of the sport it makes sense to allow Ipswich (and any other club for that matter) to stay in the sport rather than close.

If Sky don't like it, maybe they would like to take over one of the clubs :P

However there is at least one other club (possibly Eastbourne) who would also wish to race in the second tier.

In the last paragraph of this report (below) it suggests that other Elite League Club that wants to drop is Lakeside. Dont believe it myself.

http://tinyurl.com/28jsvv6

Edited by Brummie Kev

In the last paragraph of this report (below) it suggests that other Elite League Club that wants to drop is Lakeside. Dont believe it myself.

http://tinyurl.com/28jsvv6

I think you are quite right in not believing same BK! :rolleyes: