British Speedway Forum
vog

Stoke Potters

Mick I wouldn't waste your breath mate on replying to some of the posts on here, mostly from people who know nothing about Stoke speedway

Know what you mean mate. Apparently Stoke is getting a new supporter this season from Coventry, "Roguetrader", and from the tripe she spouts on here, should get on well with the Stoke Promotion...

:lol:

What a strange post from clearly a confused man with an even more peculiar username. You are clearly fed up with what is going on at Stoke so please do everyone a big favour and find a new interest where you can annoy them and leave speedway and people that actually care about Stoke speedway alone.

Sorry you find my post strange and possibly confusing? Please do point out the bits you didn't understand, and i'll try to explain them in words of one syllable for you...i'll even use pictures if that help?? :D Not sure what my username has to do with anything though??

Enjoy your time at Stoke this season, just don't make any plans to be in your local for last orders on race night... :lol:

I await your opinions of how well the Stoke promotion treats its paying customers.

It shouldn't take too long for you to see the unprofessional way that meetings are held.

Your attitude of if you don't like it don't do, comes across as very arrogant, I hope you don't act that way to everyone you meet at Stoke, they do not suffer fools gladly at Loomer Rd.

I agree that the comments of 'go find something else to complain about' is both arrogant and from someone clearly inexperienced when it comes to being a fan of Stoke Speedway.

Yes, there have been many emotional comments made from long suffering fans of Stoke who feel let down by the ability of the promotion to promote. Many, many suggestions have been made by supporters which could well have enhanced the profile of stoke and attracted more fans. And any forward thinking company would see their marketing strategy as paramount to their success. Stoke speedway doesn't seem to have one and if it does, it doesn't stick to it. That's unbelievable for a business that is called a promotion.

The position of the club is in many people opinion purely down to the lacklustre, stuck in the 1980's style of promotion. A piece in the rag and the odd bit on the local radio will do the trick - well it hasn't worked. Subsequently, there aren't enough fans to pay the sums needed to run at the level it was. And this is a club with a healthier fan base than some of the more remote clubs in the PL, geographically, who perhaps can't count on a half decent away crowd.

No-one associated with the NL should take it as a slur on them. But fans of a club dropping down will not view it positively, and nor should they have to. People should think about the fact that Stoke supporters have watched a team fester in 12/13 position year after year for a long time now while other supporters have clubs who deliver them successful league campaigns for the same money. And before the ' i don;t care who wins, i want the entertainment' brigade pipe up, at the end of the day, its a league where winning and final position matters. Thats the whole point. Otherwise speedway may as well be replaced by a circus if entertainment is the main factor.

I agree that the comments of 'go find something else to complain about' is both arrogant and from someone clearly inexperienced when it comes to being a fan of Stoke Speedway.

Yes, there have been many emotional comments made from long suffering fans of Stoke who feel let down by the ability of the promotion to promote. Many, many suggestions have been made by supporters which could well have enhanced the profile of stoke and attracted more fans. And any forward thinking company would see their marketing strategy as paramount to their success. Stoke speedway doesn't seem to have one and if it does, it doesn't stick to it. That's unbelievable for a business that is called a promotion.

The position of the club is in many people opinion purely down to the lacklustre, stuck in the 1980's style of promotion. A piece in the rag and the odd bit on the local radio will do the trick - well it hasn't worked. Subsequently, there aren't enough fans to pay the sums needed to run at the level it was. And this is a club with a healthier fan base than some of the more remote clubs in the PL, geographically, who perhaps can't count on a half decent away crowd.

No-one associated with the NL should take it as a slur on them. But fans of a club dropping down will not view it positively, and nor should they have to. People should think about the fact that Stoke supporters have watched a team fester in 12/13 position year after year for a long time now while other supporters have clubs who deliver them successful league campaigns for the same money. And before the ' i don;t care who wins, i want the entertainment' brigade pipe up, at the end of the day, its a league where winning and final position matters. Thats the whole point. Otherwise speedway may as well be replaced by a circus if entertainment is the main factor.

Top post and a fair summing up of things.

As has been alluded to, I think the issue that a lot of fans have isn't so much dropping down into the NL, it's more the manner in which it was done, and the consistent lack of professionalism shown by the promotion. We can't comment on what goes on behind the scenes, as the vast majority of us are not privy to that, but what we can comment on is what we see when we go to meetings. When previously in the NL, you could turn up at the track without any knowledge of who was riding for you that week. The prime example of that, for me at least, was away at Plymouth, when we turned up with, if memory serves, 3 riders (Sam Dore, Adam Allott and one other whose name escapes me) We ended up running R/R, no rider, and borrowing Plymouth's reserve as well as someone who had only turned up for a second half. This is the lingering memory of the national league that a lot of fans have. Combine this with the constant problems when running meetings last season (Close to 4 hours to run a meeting at one point, generator failures, constant grading, sun break then an interval) and it is easy to see why fans are becoming disillusioned with Stoke Speedway in general, and I think the dropping to the NL with no warning was merely the straw that broke the camels back.

If Dave wants to start winning the fans back, there needs to be a complete upheaval of the club. It needs to be 100% more professional in the approach to meetings. If there has to be a break while the sun sets, which for rider safety is an obvious problem, don't then have an interval 6 heats later. Run the club as a professional outfit from start to finish. Get friendlier faces at the gate, and in general, treat fans as customers who want the best product they can for their money. Ok, we have had to drop down, but Stoke haven't had a team even close to challenging for anything since 2004, address this and the fans will begin to accept NL racing.

I certainly concur with second para. As a fairly regular visitor last season, and with an hour's drive home, I often wondered if Id get home the same might! The sunset meeting will live long in the memory - for the wrong reasons (even though I agree safety is paramount). For me the litmus test is always 'If this was someone's first visit to a speedway meeting....would they come back?' I sympathise with Stoke fans and hope this sseason is the start of something good for you. We were old rivals but I'd hate to see Stoke close

I was at the sunset meeting and I think it was my second ever meeting...I came back ! But then again in those days we used to hang out on the grassy side, so missed all the rankling - although we did hear some of it. It was touch and go if we stayed to the end as the kids had school the next day. I am glad I did go back, I got hooked and I will be there next season cheering them on.

The first race I went to was v the Comets, which we won on the last race - I was hooked from that point and became a Potters fan then too - so there is no alternative for me at the mo !

Edited by ChubbyCheshire

I was at the sunset meeting and I think it was my second ever meeting...I came back ! But then again in those days we used to hang out on the grassy side, so missed all the rankling - although we did hear some of it. It was touch and go if we stayed to the end as the kids had school the next day. I am glad I did go back, I got hooked and I will be there next season cheering them on.

The first race I went to was v the Comets, which we won on the last race - I was hooked from that point and became a Potters fan then too - so there is no alternative for me at the mo !

Great that this didn't put you off. I saw plenty of great racing at Stoke last season, just wish the organisation was a bit better sometimes. Looking forward to seeing National League at Loomer Road, but hope Ellesmere Port are back soon too. Better to have speedway than no speedway isn't it. I just have to be patient and keep fingers crossed. Enjoy the new season.

So, Stoke's first signing confirmed on the Stoke forum.

Simon Lambert joins on a 9.13 average

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Pottie_Power/index.php?showtopic=2226&st=0last

Awesometastic 1st signing :approve: he was immense last year when he rode in the pairs at QM & in the KO cup.

Good stuff - pity we couldn't pick Roynon up too - assume his average is too good.

I note the new Belle Vue team has not been confirmed in NL yet ?

Good stuff - pity we couldn't pick Roynon up too - assume his average is too good.

I note the new Belle Vue team has not been confirmed in NL yet ?

I believe the full list of operating teams will be annaunced early next week and would not expect any further signings at belle Vue till then..Though i would have thought that Jason Garrity is a nailed on certainty after recently signing for them on a full contract..Roynon has already signed for the Heathens..

Edited by waco

I don't think the club could have made a better signing than this.

Having watched him at this level on a regular basis with Boston, King's Lynn & Scunthorpe, his dedication to his clubs cause is second to none, and he'll do you proud.

If any of you Potters fans have doubts about seeing your side operating in the National League this year, then please do give them a chance, because this level of racing more often than not provides more exciting racing than the other two leagues put together.

Good luck for 2011, and I'll look forward with eager anticipation to your visits to King's Lynn and my other home Buxton (if travelling doesn't get to expensive!!)

So Belle Vue Colts are in - that makes quite a few easy to get to away matches this year - should get a pass from Mrs C for BV, Buxton and Dudley - pity most of the seaside places have gone, as may have even persuaded Mrs C to come along for the ride !!

So Belle Vue Colts are in - that makes quite a few easy to get to away matches this year - should get a pass from Mrs C for BV, Buxton and Dudley - pity most of the seaside places have gone, as may have even persuaded Mrs C to come along for the ride !!

IoW is nice if you fancy a few days down there!