British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pinny

No Team Gb In 2011 Under 21 World Cup

I see that Team GB have not even bothered entering a 2011 world under 21 team into the qualifiers, therefore will not be taking part in the tournament.

What a total and utter shambles, and people wonder why British Speedway is on its arse?!

Even the USA are sending a team out to the UKRAINE for their qualifier. Think how much this will cost to fund their journey, and they probably wont even go through although we shall see.

There is no ambition in British Speedway whatsoever. After this latest scandal, I and I expect many others, will be furious to read any total rubbish from young British riders family or friends regarding them being left out of team places in the PL or NL. They probably only rode in it in 2010 because it was on home soil, in 2011 a bit of travelling is involved and they aint interested.

There is no excuse as to why they havent entered. Go into the internation section and look at some of the teams that are in! Britain would wipe the floor with half of them I am sure!

Sad, sad times for the sport.

Surely this goes against everything that Rob Lyons has preached since taking over the role.

I would guess finances come into the play. From the press last year a lot of the U21 riders were having to pay a substantial sum of money to get to the venues for very little financial reward. I would guess it is simply a case of economics.

Personally IMO this is what a % of the Sky money should be used for - funding the development of young British riders. Increasing there speedway education. No matter what the chances of winning we should be entering a team.

Its probably true, Hackett. But how can a nation thats even worse off than us in World Speedway (the USA) afford to make it to the Ukraine, yet we can't?

I'm guessing it's to do with the final being in Russia and the farce that surrounded the GP qualifiers in Russia last season.

Surely this goes against everything that Rob Lyons has preached since taking over the role.

I'm sure Rob will be bitterly dissapointed if this is true. However I believe that in practical terms he had no real input into the U 21 set up.