British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FenTiger666

Mildenhall - Who Decides Who The New Promoter Is?

Although it looks like there may be some positive news about Mildenhall I am concerned that it looks like the BSPA have left the decision on who the new promotion may be to Dave Coventry who is a stock car promoter and has no background in speedway !!

I thought proposals went to the BSPA (who now own the Mildenhall licence) and they would decide who was "fit and proper" to own the licence to run the Fen Tigers. Then, like other clubs, those people would talk to Mr Coventry, who owns the stadium about rent etc.

It seems that in this case, its the other way round and Mr Coventry is deciding who will promote at Mildenhall.

That cannot be right surely ?!?

One of my major concerns on this is that of self interest. Mr Coventry has stated that he thinks that £1200 rent is acceptable. Well it would be for him but no speedway promotion would pay that in this climate. Just look at the announcement of the rent reduction at Workington.

The BSPA seem to be leaving the decision on who will promote at Mildenhall to a man whose only interest is getting the highest rent possible.

Finally just to say, this is not a dig at Mr Coventry who I dont know I am just going on what has been published, but it just seems strange to me but then with what has happened to the Elite league at the AGM perhaps nothing should surprise us anymore.

I suppose though if the BSPA made a decision on who should promote Mildenhall Speedway, then for whatever reason Dave Coventry doesnt get on with them, finacially/personnally/ ?? then no speedway for Mildenhall again.

Dave Coventry is in the driving seat as there are currently no other places to race. Might aswell let him find someone who he can agree terms and feel comfortable with from the outset, then those individuals have to be cleared by the BSPA to run speedway. If there were options for venues then it could be totally in the hands of the BSPA, but without Dave Covenrty/Mildenhall stadium, then there is no speedway to talk about.

Edited by Damon

With Ipswich PL, and the announcement of Peterborough not running.. if Lynn do indeed go EL, I assume there will be no local derby opportunities?

Are the young Stars not having a team next season ?

Although it looks like there may be some positive news about Mildenhall I am concerned that it looks like the BSPA have left the decision on who the new promotion may be to Dave Coventry who is a stock car promoter and has no background in speedway !!

I thought proposals went to the BSPA (who now own the Mildenhall licence) and they would decide who was "fit and proper" to own the licence to run the Fen Tigers. Then, like other clubs, those people would talk to Mr Coventry, who owns the stadium about rent etc.

It seems that in this case, its the other way round and Mr Coventry is deciding who will promote at Mildenhall.

One of my major concerns on this is that of self interest. Mr Coventry has stated that he thinks that £1200 rent is acceptable. Well it would be for him but no speedway promotion would pay that in this climate. Just look at the announcement of the rent reduction at Workington.

The BSPA seem to be leaving the decision on who will promote at Mildenhall to a man whose only interest is getting the highest rent possible.

Finally just to say, this is not a dig at Mr Coventry who I dont know I am just going on what has been published, but it just seems strange to me but then with what has happened to the Elite league at the AGM perhaps nothing should surprise us anymore.

I think Damon is right.

Whoever the BSPA might consider to be appropriate for Mildenhall Dave Coventry is the stadium owner and if he doesn't want them that's it.

I suppose though if the BSPA made a decision on who should promote Mildenhall Speedway, then for whatever reason Dave Coventry doesnt get on with them, finacially/personnally/ ?? then no speedway for Mildenhall again.

Dave Coventry is in the driving seat as there are currently no other places to race. Might aswell let him find someone who he can agree terms and feel comfortable with from the outset, then those individuals have to be cleared by the BSPA to run speedway. If there were options for venues then it could be totally in the hands of the BSPA, but without Dave Covenrty/Mildenhall stadium, then there is no speedway to talk about.

Agree with that, good post mate!

Whoever comes in must have a positive working relationship with the stadium owner, or as you say there is no speedway to talk about.

It is good to hear Dave Coventry say he wants it professionally run, and he seems to have good ideas on fixture organisation which is good to hear, if stadium owner and promoter can work together we may have a positive future at Mildenhall to look forward to.

Below is an article from the CEN (DavidC)which seems to be positive

"Dave Coventry has assured supporters that Mildenhall will be represented at the National League’s annual meeting in a fortnight where the club’s future will be discussed. Confirmation of the meeting at the BSPA’s headquarters in Rugby on December 7 was the only relevant news concerning the National League to emerge from the sport’s annual conference at the weekend.

"I’m talking with three parties at the moment," said Coventry, the West Row stadium boss, "and it should all be happening this week. There will be someone representing Mildenhall at the meeting next month, either myself, a representative of one of the parties or a new promoter."

Coventry also outlined work to improve the grandstand facilities at the stadium as it continues to be well supported for other motor sports and greyhound racing".

Maybe Dave Coventry's "self interest" is because he is the stadium owner? :rolleyes:

Are the young Stars not having a team next season ?

Ugh, ignore that - my computer showed me with the KL 2011 thread open which I replied to... then it showed this topic, then the forum proceeded to crash, and told me afterwards it hadn't been posted... Joy. :rolleyes:

Understand where you are coming from, and on face value the rent might seem high - however, and I am sure somebody will put me right if I am wrong, I think there are other matters that Dave Coventry looks after i.e. removing the concrete blocks on the centre green to name but one, and I am sure there are others.

We must not forget that the stadium is a commercial business of which Speedway is only a part - but it has to show a positive contribution or why would Dave Coventry want to entertain it?

Having listened to Dave C talk just once, unscripted after the last promotion collapsed I left impressed, hard talking BUT also impressing points that needed to be taken seiously such as 1) the need for a promoter to promote - sounds simple, but for most of us the past few years an area that had been largely neglected and just as importantly 2) ( I wont have this word for word )The answer is not just put up the entrance price - everything has a value and cannot be overpriced or the public will vote with their feet.

Personally I have confidence that Dave C will pick the best option from those available ( looking at the mess the BSPA have made of the Elite - self interest? - I would not want them having any part of any decision ) - yes, he does have another vested interest because I am not sure that he can afford to have another false dawn for the Speedway.

I really do hope that Mildenhall come back. I am a Poole fan and was born in Poole, but my wife comes from Wymondham and thus I have seen a couple of matches at West Row whilst bisiting the delightful in-laws. Both matches (one at Premier League and the other at National League level) were very entertaining and reasonably well supported. I would love to pay another visit in 2011.

At least it looks like there will be at least 1 Coventry in Speedway this season!

Hope Mildy succeed & race again! Great wee place!

Edited by icicle

Don't think anyone who talks sense and thinks logically would disagree with any of this - good post.

Understand where you are coming from, and on face value the rent might seem high - however, and I am sure somebody will put me right if I am wrong, I think there are other matters that Dave Coventry looks after i.e. removing the concrete blocks on the centre green to name but one, and I am sure there are others.

What's that about..? :blink: Are these concrete blocks moved on and off the centre green..? :shock: If so, pardon my ignorance but what on earth is the reason for that..?! :unsure:

The concrete blocks are placed round the inside of the bends to stop the stock cars from cuttting the corners. They are removed prior to a speedway meeting as i'm sure u'd understand, with each block weighing best part of a ton, nobody would want a rider to hit one of them!