British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FenTiger666

Mildenhall - Who Decides Who The New Promoter Is?

I think when you go on a forum you should expect different points of view - doesn't always mean an argument e.g. I understand FT666 points and where he is coming from but in my opinion I think they are slightly too negative and maybe do not take in the broader picture.

After experiencing the two stooges from down the road who to my mind have been the main catalyst to the current prediction I feel quite safe with Mr.Coventry being at the helm.

1) First rules in business - don't show your hand and don't wash dirty linen in public. Why do people expect "statements of fact" every day. Get real it won't happen.

2) Anybody who feels that strongly why not contact him and tell him how to conduct himself and run a business. Keyboard warriors are two a penny.

3) Rents etc are between the stadium owner and promoter end of. If they are not workable nothing will happen - but everybody needs to not lose money.

4) Before spouting about having to take so many people through the door to pay for the track etc look at the bigger picture - four figure sponsorship was available from a group of supporters last year and was turned down flat.

5) Mildenhall does have a core of supporters who will not only put hands in their pockets but also have contacts that will bring in pockets of sponsorship.

6) No point in discussing riders in the open when a) Stadium future is not nailed down B) The NL AGM has not been held, so points limits etc are not known etc, etc, etc - but I also do not believe that Mr.Coventry is blind to the need.

Look at the bigger picture this could be a lot worse, we could have landlords such as the GRA - would you be as confident that we were wanted then?

Sane minded Kev

Who would of thought it?? Norwichkev the voice of reason!

I think when you go on a forum you should expect different points of view - doesn't always mean an argument e.g. I understand FT666 points and where he is coming from but in my opinion I think they are slightly too negative and maybe do not take in the broader picture.

After experiencing the two stooges from down the road who to my mind have been the main catalyst to the current prediction I feel quite safe with Mr.Coventry being at the helm.

1) First rules in business - don't show your hand and don't wash dirty linen in public. Why do people expect "statements of fact" every day. Get real it won't happen.

2) Anybody who feels that strongly why not contact him and tell him how to conduct himself and run a business. Keyboard warriors are two a penny.

3) Rents etc are between the stadium owner and promoter end of. If they are not workable nothing will happen - but everybody needs to not lose money.

4) Before spouting about having to take so many people through the door to pay for the track etc look at the bigger picture - four figure sponsorship was available from a group of supporters last year and was turned down flat.

5) Mildenhall does have a core of supporters who will not only put hands in their pockets but also have contacts that will bring in pockets of sponsorship.

6) No point in discussing riders in the open when a) Stadium future is not nailed down B) The NL AGM has not been held, so points limits etc are not known etc, etc, etc - but I also do not believe that Mr.Coventry is blind to the need.

Look at the bigger picture this could be a lot worse, we could have landlords such as the GRA - would you be as confident that we were wanted then?

Sane minded Kev

Hi NorwichKev

As you say this is a debate, certainly no arguments from me I just feel differently to some of you, so just posting my thoughts and here are some thoughts on your posts (hopefully not too negative, just different).

1)Dave is the only one who is washing his dirty linen in public by having a pop at one the possible promotions in the speedway star. As stated they put in a bid in Octoberto the BSPA (ie to the correct people) and have never gone public with that even during the debacle with Tony Dart when alot of damage was being done. Clearly Dave Coventry does not see these people as his favourites to take over, probably because as businessmen they know the rent wanted is too high.

2)Keyboard warriors are two a penny but when you contact him and he doesnt reply what can you do?

3)Agree but £1300 per meeting is not sustainable for speedway at Mildenhall. Thats a fact and was proven last season, it finished the previous promotion.

4)Appreciate that, and sure SMS will do something similar, just hope it goes to speedway and not stockcar costs.

5)Good to hear, although people saying they will bring in money and actualy doing it are two different things. As with 4 hope money goes to speedway.

6) We will see but as I stated before Dave made his views clear on riders at the SMS meeting and in the speedway star. He thinks promotions will dictate pay and there will be many spare riders left they will do anything to ride for a team. Really ?? the last time we did that you were there, the infamous last PL season, do you want to see that again ??

You mention the GRA and that goes back to my original issue with all of this.

At every other club the BSPA decide if the promotion are fit and proper first (or at the same time) as the rent is discussed.

This time the BSPA seem to have left the decision totally to the stadium owner only, who has no background in speedway, so in the future the GRA could make a decision on whether a speedway club gets a sensible promotion or not.

Its a very dangerous precendence that has been set, and didnt need to happeen if the BSPA had followed their own rules.

One final thing, when you sang the praises of Dave Coventry you didnt mention anything about my comments about the state of the tractors etc that are supplied to the speedway promotion etc. You have been around long enough to have seen the many issues at the track.

Are you seriously saying that you agree with Dave Coventrys comments that a promoter can turn up with a suitcase and run speedway at West Row for £1300 per meeting?? If he generally believes this, im sorry, but I have no faith in anything he says !!

Everyone seems to think Dave Coventry is the only answer, personally I dont believe he is, although he is key if he can work with others (but can he as he seems to have set himself up as the only saviour of the club, and dont forget he is only half of RDC promotions, and the other half, his brother cannot stand speedway) but whichever way you cut it, his expectations on the rent are too high in the current climate.

Who would of thought it?? Norwichkev the voice of reason!

Same question to you then SimonB.

Do you honestly think that a speedway promotion can just turn up with a suitcase and run speedway at Mildenhall, with all the issues with the track, tractors, fence, pits etc and would you now pay £1300 per meeting to promote at Mildenhall in the current climate ??

Await your considered response.

Same question to you then SimonB.

Do you honestly think that a speedway promotion can just turn up with a suitcase and run speedway at Mildenhall, with all the issues with the track, tractors, fence, pits etc and would you now pay £1300 per meeting to promote at Mildenhall in the current climate ??

Await your considered response.

I didnt say that they could. What I beleive is that it is far to easy to say well cut the rent in half and everyone wins when it is not as straightforward as that. Any event put on at the stadium costs the owners money (utilities, rates, repairs, fuel for the track equipment, staffing, cleaning) and with relatively small crowds at speedway I doubt the food and drink is particularly lucrative. Therefore a rent figure has to be agreed that actually makes it worthwhile for Mr Coventry to allow the stadium to be used.

It is clear that any promotion at Mildenhall needs to be able to work alongside the owners of the stadium. Personally I had no issues with Dave, he was always very straight and helped out a great deal in my two years at promoter.

I have no specific knowledge of the finances in the NL so I cant really comment on exactly how last season ended up, however I do know relatively large sums of support / sponsorship could have been available. This could obviously return depending on the attitude of the new promotion.

Well the news is out on Twitter.

New promotion has agreed terms with Dave Coventry and full announcement will be made in Speedway Star Thursday !!!

Be interesting to see if the BSPA deem this new promotion to be fit and proper because the way this has been handled has been a disgrace.

Any betting on it being Dave Coventry/an ex promoter/an ex rider/an ex manager.

Interesting that one of the above has been speaking to riders over the last 2 days offering them a contract before they even own the licence.

Another case of the lunatics running the asylum at West Row again in 2011.

Thats it, Im done with the Fen Tigers :angry:

New promotion has agreed terms with Dave Coventry and full announcement will be made in Speedway Star Thursday !!!

Be interesting to see if the BSPA deem this new promotion to be fit and proper because the way this has been handled has been a disgrace.

Interesting that one of the above has been speaking to riders over the last 2 days offering them a contract before they even own the licence.

At least wait to see who it is before you decide that!

Does it really matter? It's finally sorted, and I'd have thought you'd just be glad you have speedway to go watch again, regardless of who promotes it and how its gone about? :unsure:

I thought I was done with the Fen Tigers last June :(

Possibly not :)

Like the venerable Mr Barton says, let's see who they are first.

They are going to have to be something pretty dreadful (Proud Potter, perhaps :o:D ) to put me off.

Isn't it amazing that the news of the return of the Fen Tigers is announced in the same post as a fan saying they will not be going any more..........

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Was just about to reply to your previous e-mail. Not sure why you are done with Mildenhall before all of the facts are known.

Do you know more than you are letting on? your post certainly seems skewed that way, because if not with this e-mail I am not quite sure how Dave Coventry could have won in your eyes.

Working your post backwards, most things in business are fairly nailed down before ink touches paper - and it actually answers one of your earlier concerns about leaving it too late to sign riders.

I do sense some bad blood here - If Dave Coventry can successfully PROMOTE Stock Cars why not Speedway? after all we have been very short of actual PROMOTION in the near past which has rightly led to criticism on this board.

We can't all like everyone, however, one fact that cannot be ignored is that Dave Coventry owns the stadium and whether you or anybody else does not agree with it tough smell the coffee ( or buy the stadium )it is crucial that he has a promoter who he can work with and will be there for the long term. Whether he gets it right is another matter, due diligence and gut feeling is not always a guarentee.

I did note one of your points on the Tractors - which is quite valid, however, I think the balance has to be the fortune spent on erecting the new fence and the legal fees ( without either we wouldn't need a tractor )

Lastly I am delighted that this has been resolved, Rhidassa sums it up perfectly - we have another chance, and there may not be too many more.

It is now down to us supporters to look to rally around whoever the new promoter/s are - listen to people like SimonB who managed more Sky coverage with SMS than the rest of the NL teams put together - and on one occasion he only had one pint in his hand :o.

Father Christmas has come early for Mildenhall fans, something we should all embrace and move on.

Kev

The Barton Temporary Voice Of Reason B)

Well for the past two weeks our speedway star has been days late so please someone post on here as soon as they know anything, thanks.

I honestly never thought we would see the day when mildenhall would be up and running again, i for one am eternally grateful to whoever has come in to start mildenhall once again.

I dont care about rent,tractors,BSPA,who chooses the promotor etc just happy and who trusts the BSPA to choose someone right and proper to run mildenhall they need only look at recent history...

unless i'm mistaken hasn't Dave already got speedway people in place with Barbra Thomas and Peter Thorogood, who needs anyone else !

You've lost me.. What's your problem with the new people involved/the new arrangement..? :unsure:

SimonB - I do not have to wait for the announcement, I know who it is and have therefore made my decision.

My problem is that I feel that the Fen Tigers are heading for another disaster.

Word was out yesterday that a full announcement was going to be made, now it seems that all that has happened is that a new owner has verbally agreed to Dave Coventrys rent demands.

Hope this guy has deep pockets, he's going to need them and Fen Tiger fans had better get used to alot of these false dawns and promises.

No doubt it will be spun by some people that its sensible for the new owner to keep everything under wraps until everything is signed and sealed but in that case why is he going round telling people he has bought the club, speedway is a very small community.

Hope for the fans sake this is not another false start, because its the Fen Tigers fans I feel sorry for.

And no, NorwichKev there is no bad blood with Dave Coventry, but I have an issue with the way the BSPA have left this to him and how he has handled the whole situation.

One thing I am sure we all agree on, and dont want to happen again, is that the Fen Tigers can ill afford to have another bad promotion running the club who cannot afford to continue with it, I cannot see it surviving another fiasco and feel it is heading that way.

Just my opinion, I hope for all Fen Tigers fans I am wrong.

Today's Cambridge News:

Supporters of Mildenhall Fen Tigers have been given their most positive news for five months with a prospective new owner reaching an agreement with stadium boss, Dave Coventry.

Both Coventry and the potential buyer, who wishes to remain anonymous at this stage, confirmed they had verbally agreed a deal to return the Tigers to the West Row circuit next year following their summer closure.

Coventry said: "We have had very positive talks for a while and have worked out a deal. There are some final complications to sort out but things are looking good. This person is very enthusiastic and has a good approach to getting things done.

"The situation at Mildenhall is slightly unique as, while the rent may be higher than some other tracks, there is very little else to buy. All the equipment is here."

The rental figure, believed to be £1,300 per meeting, appeared to be a stumbling block for interested buyers so the fact a deal has been reached is promising news.

It is hoped the final negotiations, involving the British Speedway Promoters' Association, can be completed soon so the probable new promoter can attend the annual conference of the National League on January 10.

I do hope that Mildenhall can come to the tapes in 2011 and like others hope it is not another false dawn for the club as FT666 says the club and it's supporters surely could not take another one.

I have also heard all the rumours and hope the incoming Promoter really does do his best for the speedway at West Row and the club can prosper once more.

If indeed The Fen Tigers do return to the shale next season i will pop over as a fan on the odd occasion to catch up with some good friends that i have made over the last six seasons working for the club.

Mr Barton it must be your round??

Merry Christmas All.

Dubster