British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FenTiger666

Mildenhall - Who Decides Who The New Promoter Is?

The concrete blocks are placed round the inside of the bends to stop the stock cars from cuttting the corners. They are removed prior to a speedway meeting as i'm sure u'd understand, with each block weighing best part of a ton, nobody would want a rider to hit one of them!

Blimey - thanx: I didn't know that! :oops:

That's one heck of a big operation just to stop cars cutting a corner! :blink: No-one worried about the safety of the drivers coming face to face with several tonnes of concrete then..?!! :shock:

Blimey - thanx: I didn't know that! :oops:

That's one heck of a big operation just to stop cars cutting a corner! :blink: No-one worried about the safety of the drivers coming face to face with several tonnes of concrete then..?!! :shock:

Sledge Hammer to crack a Nut springs to mind - but I guess that's how refined the sport is.

Sledge Hammer to crack a Nut springs to mind - but I guess that's how refined the sport is.

Refined/unrefined ?? A matter of opinion I suppose, but better supported than speedway ??, certainly, and that I feel is why Mr Coventry will hold out for the amount of rent thats been mentioned on this thread, which some have suggested might be to high. After speedway ceased at West Row during the summer, there were quite a few Sunday afternoon banger meetings held there, with the turnstiles being kept very busy, its my guess that the revenue generated would be in excess of the rent being asked for hire of the stadium for speedway. So assuming he wins his court case re the noise etc, then if no one comes up with the readies for speedway to re commence, than he will just organise extra banger meetings, so he is really in a bit of a win/win situation.

Parsloes 1928 No-one worried about the safety of the drivers coming face to face with several tonnes of concrete then

Not really any different to hitting the stockcar concrete and armco steel fence at Mildenhall.

Refined/unrefined ?? A matter of opinion I suppose, but better supported than speedway ??, certainly, and that I feel is why Mr Coventry will hold out for the amount of rent thats been mentioned on this thread, which some have suggested might be to high. After speedway ceased at West Row during the summer, there were quite a few Sunday afternoon banger meetings held there, with the turnstiles being kept very busy, its my guess that the revenue generated would be in excess of the rent being asked for hire of the stadium for speedway. So assuming he wins his court case re the noise etc, then if no one comes up with the readies for speedway to re commence, than he will just organise extra banger meetings, so he is really in a bit of a win/win situation.

Not so sure on that one, postie.

While they do pull 10 times the speedway attendances, banger meetings are still held on alternate weekends as Dave Coventry promotes at Dover every fortnight as well as at Mildenhall.

With speedway running on the off Saturday for bangers, it means he gets rent and food takings every week so it makes financial sense for him to have speedway there. It just comes down to a compromise between what he wants and what a speedway promotion would be prepared to pay.

I got told he accepted a rent of £800pw last year, only for the bid to fail because of the court action. Having had dealings with him, with only one exception I have found him to a be a reasonable and pragmatic man who says it how he sees it.

I don't rule out Dave being named as promoter himself with volunteers running it on match days.

I am very optimistic that speedway will not only return, but that it may stay for seasons to come.

While they do pull 10 times the speedway attendances, banger meetings are still held on alternate weekends as Dave Coventry promotes at Dover every fortnight as well as at Mildenhall.

Could be wrong but didn't we hear earlier in the year that the Dover track was closing...? :unsure:

Wasn't criticising the concrete blocks (I work with many concrete blocks so how could I...!!! :P ) but was a little surprised that someone would go to all that effort moving these in and out of position just to prevent cars curtting across the centre green..!

Not so sure on that one, postie.

With speedway running on the off Saturday for bangers, it means he gets rent and food takings every week so it makes financial sense for him to have speedway there. It just comes down to a compromise between what he wants and what a speedway promotion would be prepared to pay.

I got told he accepted a rent of £800pw last year, only for the bid to fail because of the court action. Having had dealings with him, with only one exception I have found him to a be a reasonable and pragmatic man who says it how he sees it.

I don't rule out Dave being named as promoter himself with volunteers running it on match days.

I am very optimistic that speedway will not only return, but that it may stay for seasons to come.

Not quite so tiger !

Dover fixtures for 2011 as on the RDC website are as follows

Dover Raceway

Sunday April 3 1pm National Bangers British and Masters QF, Bangerstox Masters QF, Super Rods Masters QF and Ministox Kent QF

Monday April 25 1pm National Bangers British and Masters QF, Bangerstox Masters QF, Super Rods Masters QF and Reliant Robins World QF

Monday May 2 1pm Big Van Bangers, Bangerstox, Super Rods and Ministox Kent QF

Monday May 30 1pm Rookie Banger Crazy Day inc caravan race and DD, Bangerstox Southern Championship and Super Rods Kent Championship

Sunday June 26 1pm Unlimited Bangers Kent Championship, Bangerstox, Super Rods and Ministox Kent Championship

Sunday July 24 1pm National Bangers Kent Team Championship, Bangerstox Kent Championship and Super Rods Southern Championship

Monday August 29 1pm National Bangers Masters QF and rollover, Bangerstox Masters QF, Super Rods Masters QF and Reliant Robins Masters Championship

Sunday September 24 1pm National Bangers Masters Championship and Trophy Winners Dash, Bangerstox Masters Championship and Super Rods Masters Championship

hardly alternate weekends, whilst at Mildenhall, fixtures planned for 2011 don't have many Sundays which is good news, but there are 3 Saturday night meetings planned in each of May,July and August, which given the problems Sat night stocks before Sunday speedway has caused in the past is maybe not such good news. However I hope your optimism triumphs over my pessimistic realism. Maybe I've been reading the EL threads too much recently which have caused this depression.

Not quite so tiger !

hardly alternate weekends, whilst at Mildenhall, fixtures planned for 2011 don't have many Sundays which is good news, but there are 3 Saturday night meetings planned in each of May,July and August, which given the problems Sat night stocks before Sunday speedway has caused in the past is maybe not such good news. However I hope your optimism triumphs over my pessimistic realism. Maybe I've been reading the EL threads too much recently which have caused this depression.

To be honest I didn't check his website - I just based it on my experiences of being there early on Sunday morning.

I really do believe (and always try to be realistic rather than optimistic or pessimistic) that it is Dave's interests to have speedway at West Row but it comes down to how much he is prepared to accept in rent before it no longer becomes in his interests, if you see what I mean. I thought £1,200 was excessive and sustainable for a club that does not often pull in 500 fans.

One thing, though. Dave has made a lot of favourable noises regarding the speedway and he has never struck me as someone who is likely to give anyone a pile of crap with the intention of doing precisely the opposite.

I wonder if the events of the last fews days may result in another party showing interest in running speedway out of Mildenhall Stadium, Peterborough ? :unsure:

There has been rumours of their interest in previous seasons.

I wonder if the events of the last fews days may result in another party showing interest in running speedway out of Mildenhall Stadium, Peterborough ? :unsure:

There has been rumours of their interest in previous seasons.

An interesting point, mate. It wouldnt be the biggest surprise were that to happen. Stranger things (like Peterborough and Cov apparently being without a league to ride in) have certainly happened.

However - I can't help thinking that the very fact that Mildenhall Stadium's future wont be resolved until January at the earliest would make the most likely option, were Mildenhall to run in 2011, be with Dave Coventry as promoter, possibly installing a manager to oversee club matters.

Edited by neil3065

An interesting point, mate. It wouldnt be the biggest surprise were that to happen. Stranger things (like Peterborough and Cov apparently being without a league to ride in) have certainly happened.

However - I can't help thinking that the very fact that Mildenhall Stadium's future wont be resolved until January at the earliest would make the most likely option, were Mildenhall to run in 2011, be with Dave Coventry as promoter, possibly installing a manager to oversee the day to day running of the club.

I can't see how that would benefit Peterborough, it's not a racetrack that they haven't got (as far as we know) it's just a league place!

I can't see how that would benefit Peterborough, it's not a racetrack that they haven't got (as far as we know) it's just a league place!

I think Phil was just thinking aloud about one eventuality, which isnt to say whether or not it is particularly likely.

Personally, I'd like to see Peterborough continue at the Showground (even if that is in the NL for 2011). Peterborough is one of the best race tracks around and were a Peterborough team not able to find a place in any league for 2011, then the racing that can be produced there would be a big loss to the sport. I'm sure that those associated with Peterborough will be looking to ensure that the club does run at the Showground in 2011 at whichever level possible.

Mildenhall, of course, would appear to have the opposite problem to Peterborough - in that there is a place in its chosen league (NL) for the club if it is able to run, but the future of the stadium is the biggest question mark hanging over it - before any deal with any prospective promoter can even be considered.

Hopefully, positive outcomes will be reached in terms of both club's futures and they will be able to take to the track in 2011.

Edited by neil3065

However - I can't help thinking that the very fact that Mildenhall Stadium's future wont be resolved until January at the earliest would make the most likely option, were Mildenhall to run in 2011, be with Dave Coventry as promoter, possibly installing a manager to oversee club matters.

You cannot run a professional speedway club, even in the NL, if you wait until January to decide what you are doing.

Dave Coventry has been in the press over the last couple of weeks talking about how the next promotion will need to be very professional and I completely agree but waiting until all your competition have spoken to the best riders before you even start is not professional.

Also with the club closing mid season, there is a MAJOR piece, of promotion that needs to take place with the local community, in fact it should have started already. If any new promotion think they can pick up the riders that other teams dont want, and start promoting in February they are going to be in for one heck of a shock.

And the stadiums future is a smokescreen if they use it for any of the above, Dave Coventry has already said the result is certain, and the person who brought it has left the area anyway.

Mildenhall needs to be run by businessmen as a business, not by ex riders who think they can run a club with no business experience.

Finally I dont see Peterborough moving, as Neil Watson says, they have a track already.

If as you say Mildenhall needs to be run as a business by businessmen then the first thing they would say is that it is pointless investing money while such uncertainty exists over the future of the stadium.

Just off the top of my head they would have the price of the licence, signing on fees to any riders given a team place, loan fees to the promoters that own those riders, advertising costs maybe to be incurred before they would know if the team could even race. Unfortunately I think whoever takes over will have to hit the ground running!

On the other hand I can see the benefit to some of the people that run Peterborough if their is otherwise no involvement with the sport. Although of course I hope Peterborough run