British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FenTiger666

Mildenhall - Who Decides Who The New Promoter Is?

Sorry about this Lionheart, but it was 1979 when Midenhall pipped Rye House to the National League title by one point. As a footnote, there were a total of 37 teams in the British and National Leagues. Happy days.

We won the league at Scunthorpe after just narrowly beating Rye House in one hell of a meeting at Mildenhall :D Ah the good old days!

I have said before Dave Coventry has pretty much full control over the Fen Tigers future, as the only place they can race is at his stadium. No matter how much that may upset some people thats the fact. Dave can set the rent at what he desires and if no promoter can make a go of it at those rates then speedway isnt viable at Mildenhall, there are no alternatives that I can think off?

Unless someone can gain a piece of land somewhere close by and gain planning permission and start from scratch again, then Dave is firmly in the driving seat.

I hope that a team can be put together again and run at Mildenhall, but in the current climate, with crowds down at most sports clubs, then I think it will be difficult.

Totally agree Damon.

Any person or group (businessmen or not) wanting to run the Fen Tigers has to be able to work with Dave Coventry. Dave is obviously going to be looking for the best deal for him and his business but also I presume for someone he can work with and trust, not necessarily an easy thing to find in speedway!

Like I think halifax mentioned Dave has to weigh up the choice of some rent and the stadium being used and the alternative of no income at all. There are some fixed costs to running speedway at the stadium, staffing, track preparation, blocks being moved, power that Dave has to cover with the income from the rent and the food/drink etc. and so the level of rent would have to take this into account.

Personally I think the best person to run the speedway would probably be Dave himself, after all he has clearly shown that he can promote motor sport and attract decent crowds to a rural area.

I think its fair to say that for a number of reasons, Mildenhall riding at Peterborough, or indeed anywhere else other than West Row would be a non-starter.

Mildenhall finds it difficult enough to attract extra fans to West Row, without requiring the existing fan-base to travel elsewhere for home fixtures, rent elsewhere wouldnt necessarily be cheaper, plus as I understand it, available dates to stage Speedway at Peterborough are limited as it is, without two clubs potentially wanting to operate out of the Showground.

I think as Phil has said, the Fen Tigers and West Row Stadium are inextricably linked, without any realistic possibliity of an alternative site for a track, or anyone with the will (or finances!) to commence such a project. Anyone willing to finance Mildenhall Speedway as promoter would undoubtedly want to do so at the existing stadium, rather than begin a likely fruitless search for a new venue.

If prospective promoters arent willing to pay whatever rent Dave Coventry seeks, then it will be up to Mr Coventry to decide whether he wants Speedway at the stadium enough to promote it himself and/or with a manager coming in to run the club.

To be fair to Dave Coventry - his previous comments indicate that he is keen for Speedway to continue at West Row, whether in 2011 or in the future. Whether we will see Speedway at the stadium in 2011, I'm not sure, but if the club re-opens next year or later, I get the feeling that Dave Coventry is the man most likely to be the club's next promoter.

As Simon has said, he's experienced in promoting motorsport both at Mildenhall and Dover, and I know that Mildenhall stocks get good crowds, so it will be interesting if he were to become Speedway promoter, whether he might do anything different to try to promote the club in the local community.

Edited by neil3065

We won the league at Scunthorpe after just narrowly beating Rye House in one hell of a meeting at Mildenhall :D Ah the good old days!

I remember it well. It started with Mildenhall being all cloak and dagger about a new number one joining.....At The first meeting it climaxed with Ray Bales jumping out the back of a bread van :lol:

Maybe Mr Coventry could look at the bigger picture, and say offer half rent (£650) for the first month of the season. As people have said there are some bridges to mend with the supporters, and the place needs to get back on its feet. There after again maybe Mr Coventry could look at taking a % of the gate as rent. Its called working together. It would then be in everyones interest to make the thing work.

I remember it well. It started with Mildenhall being all cloak and dagger about a new number one joining.....At The first meeting it climaxed with Ray Bales jumping out the back of a bread van :lol:

I do remember that bit hadnt recalled it was the league title season though :D

I do remember that bit hadnt recalled it was the league title season though :D

Simon, You may well be right. It could have been 1978 when Bales joined. It was the bread van i remembered most, not the Year. :lol:

Some very interesting posts since my last one.

PhilK - Excellent post as always. The key is promotion and getting out in the community as you say. The problem is Dave Coventry thinks this can be done at the last minute and they will come. Sorry but thats naive to say the least. If you shut mid season you have alot of bad feeling in the fanbase and you need to do more promotion not less. Also completely agree about KL and Ipswich fans, they have alot to look foward to in 2011 and in very difficult times I cannot see them paying to see a Fen Tigers team put together with any riders not picked up by other clubs at the last minute. Dave Coventry has already quoted in the Speedway Star that there will be more riders out there than team places and you can see this thinking. He will put together a team on the cheap with riders left over. The last time that happened was our last PL season and we all know what happened then !!

SimonB - With your knowledge of the club and your SMS involvement if you believe Dave Coventry will be the next promoter then we need to listen to that. Personally I think, although it will look good on paper, it will not work and in the long run Dave Coventry promoting the Fen Tigers is not the answer.

Semion - Re the rent, you are spot on. Workington have negociated a rent of £850 which is a 40% drop but the stadium owner knows that a regular £850 is better than two months of full rent and then nothing. Unfortunately Dave Coventry sees it differently. After what happened last season has he not learnt anything.

Finally my posts are not a personal dig at Dave Coventry/RDC the stadium owners, I completely agree that he needs to do whats best for his business, of course he does but after reading his comments in the Speedway Star a couple of weeks ago about the fact any new promotion could "walk in with a suitcase and everything else is there for them" has to be the most laughable statement I have ever read. Anyone who goes to speedway at Mildenhall knows that they have to work with a number of major issues at every meeting just to be able to start a meeting.

From what I understand there is currently no fence, we have all seen the tractors break down on a regular basis, the start gates often break down and track staff walking around the track picking up bits from the track 10 mins before a meeting is due to start.

All that for £1300 per meeting, as quoted by Dave Coventry in the Speedway Star, your having a laugh !!

As I have said before I can see him promoting, if thats the word, with an ex rider/manager.

I pray I am wrong and can continue to watch my beloved Fen Tigers again in 2011 for a whole season but the news coming out of West Row does not fulfill me with hope.

Just to clarify I didnt say I beleived Dave would be the next promoter, but I do think he is in the best position to run the Fen Tigers. If he is the promoter then there is obviously no conflict between the stock cars and the speedway and he would directly benefit from the results of any prommotion that takes place.

Dave is a promoter and runs his stock car business very successfully and he could bring a great deal of value to the promotion of the Fen Tigers. All NL clubs are currently having difficulty in planning due to the delay in the conference which will agree the rules, always a difficult process due to the different reasons the clubs have for being in the NL. In addition Dave also has the court case which could (albiet unlikely I hope) close the stadium down entirely. No potential promoter would want to invest much until it is clear that speedway can actually continue at the stadium.

I believe that speedway is an asset to the stadium and that a way will be found to run in 2011, but maybe thats just because I am an optimist at heart. :D

Think you got your facts wrong old chum= that happened a few years later.

Lets just hope the great Fen Tigers fans have a team to follow in 2011 :)

Has anyone ever looked at the possibility of talking to the owners the Newmarket go kart circuits, Red lodge or Wildtracks Karting to see if they would be interested in having a speedway track at the venues. I know it is not Mildenhall but it is close and while it is a long shot, for NL racing with limited racing calendar and the location of both tracks they could draw on the Fen Tigers current supporters and noise should not be too much of an issue. It would be a shame to not keep the club going in one form or another and perhaps these type of venues could offer some stability given that they already hold motor sport.

Just watch this space - with 'the future' in mind.................!!!

No, Dave Coventry critised these businessmen in the Speedway Star because they wanted a number of meeings with him, and that is the professional way to do business.

What the hell is the point of the BSPA giving the licence to someone who doesnt know how to run a business, and if you accept the amount of rent Dave Coventry wants, you are no businessman and you dont need to put the sarcastic ' ' around businessmen, these guys goes know what they are doing.

What would you rather have, promoters who know how to run a business (and that includes reaching an agreement on a sensible rent) or someone that Dave Coventry can get to pay £1300, and then for how long - 2 months and then the Fen Tigers disappear again.

Maybe the post under yours is the solution, get the licence first and then move the Fen Tigers to another track !!!

After all the important thing here is the Fen Tigers, not the stadium.

Now who of 'sane' mind could ague with any of that? - no doubt some sad case will.

Maybe Mr Coventry could look at the bigger picture, and say offer half rent (£650) for the first month of the season. As people have said there are some bridges to mend with the supporters, and the place needs to get back on its feet. There after again maybe Mr Coventry could look at taking a % of the gate as rent. Its called working together. It would then be in everyones interest to make the thing work.

Precisely the point - that's what 'meetings' are for - are they not?..........

Now who of 'sane' mind could ague with any of that? - no doubt some sad case will.

I think when you go on a forum you should expect different points of view - doesn't always mean an argument e.g. I understand FT666 points and where he is coming from but in my opinion I think they are slightly too negative and maybe do not take in the broader picture.

After experiencing the two stooges from down the road who to my mind have been the main catalyst to the current prediction I feel quite safe with Mr.Coventry being at the helm.

1) First rules in business - don't show your hand and don't wash dirty linen in public. Why do people expect "statements of fact" every day. Get real it won't happen.

2) Anybody who feels that strongly why not contact him and tell him how to conduct himself and run a business. Keyboard warriors are two a penny.

3) Rents etc are between the stadium owner and promoter end of. If they are not workable nothing will happen - but everybody needs to not lose money.

4) Before spouting about having to take so many people through the door to pay for the track etc look at the bigger picture - four figure sponsorship was available from a group of supporters last year and was turned down flat.

5) Mildenhall does have a core of supporters who will not only put hands in their pockets but also have contacts that will bring in pockets of sponsorship.

6) No point in discussing riders in the open when a) Stadium future is not nailed down B) The NL AGM has not been held, so points limits etc are not known etc, etc, etc - but I also do not believe that Mr.Coventry is blind to the need.

Look at the bigger picture this could be a lot worse, we could have landlords such as the GRA - would you be as confident that we were wanted then?

Sane minded Kev