British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Riders You Would Pay To Watch

I'd pay good money to see Ronnie Moore and Charlie Monk in their prime, because I never got to see them at their best.  In fact, I'd even chuck in a couple of extra bob to be able to sit down with them and have a yarn for a while, though I don't know if Charlie would have all that much to say!

Charlie Monk in his prime.... he wasn't called Charlie "Maximum" Monk without good reason.

One of my great regrets was losing the programme that Charlie signed for me. It was a British Semi-final meeting at West Ham in, I think, 1967 or 1968 and I was the ONLY person to get his autograph that night.

My all time hero!

Perhaps British Final Custom house 1969 C Monk 6pts

1/1/0/1/3

fist ride

1B Briggs 2 H Cole 3 C Monk 4 R Trigg

2nd ride

1 I Mauger 2 R Moore 3 C Monk 4 J McMillan

3rd ride

1 G Middleton 2 K McKinlay 3 E Boocock 4 C Monk

4th ride

1 N Boocock 2 A Haley 3 C Monk 4 T Hedge

5th ride

1 C Monk 2 res M Ashby 3 C Pratt 4 R Wilson

Guest Rod King
Perhaps British Final Custom house 1969 C Monk 6pts

1/1/0/1/3

fist ride

1B Briggs 2 H Cole 3 C Monk 4 R Trigg

2nd ride

1 I Mauger 2 R Moore 3 C Monk 4 J McMillan

3rd ride

1 G Middleton 2 K McKinlay 3 E Boocock 4 C Monk

4th ride

1 N Boocock 2 A Haley 3 C Monk 4 T Hedge

5th ride

1 C Monk 2 res M Ashby 3 C Pratt 4 R Wilson

Could well have been, but I hadn't remembered that Jim McMillan was in it. The score (sadly) looks right because he didn't qualify for the next round. But what names fom the past - Mauger, Moore, Briggs, Hedge, McKinlay, the Boocock Brothers and even Colin Pratt. I bet there's many people who only think of Colin as the unhappy fat bloke on the telly! He was quite slim then! But just as unhappy!

I heard a few people mention John Cook, I am assuming that is John cook from California.... the cowboy... I just started racing when he was getting ready to go to europe, he was magical with that bike and how he would be all over the back getting any possible traction he could..

He was still doing it for King's Lynn in 2000(ish). Having seen videos of him he could team ride so well and as you say, he was ALL over the bike. John Cook, Frank Smart and Carl Wilkinson side by side for 4 laps woudl be great :)

Rick Miller

Martin Goodwin

Scott Nicholls

These are the only riders I've gone to smallmead to see!

We had some real entertainers at Halifax over the years.

Tommy Roper was a fearsome fellow.

Mike Hiftle with his leg trailing style was great.

Henny Kroeze Mr.Entertainment.

Charlie Monk Mr.Sour

King Kenny says it all.

Zdenek Kudrna - Czec ex - Brummie/exeter......sometimes unbelievable. :shock:

If you are talking colourful and entertaining, don't think you could go far wrong with the Moran brothers always gave value for money. ;)

The Americans, Danes, and Cradley were always good value for team riding, and brilliant individuals. In the 80's at least...my memory doesn't go back as far as some of you.

(and as much as you'd like to condemn me for a biased answer it would be soooooo hard to argue with me on this one :P )

I'd love to travel back in time to see Pratt ride. It's just so hard to imagine him ever completing 4 laps. Ohhh...and Briggs, and Mauger.

:wink::P

In the 70's I travelled on the Poole Coach to many away meetings and to WC Qualifiers etc but during this time the only rider that I ever truly loved to watch was Billy Sanders, this continued until the weekend before he died, I travelled to Swindon just because he was riding there that night, I will never forget his smile as he waved goodbye to me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway during the 80's these were the riders I enjoyed watching:

Shawn and Kelly Moran

Michael Lee

Kenny Carter

Egon Muller (more long track for his style)

Hans Nielsen (still love watching him now, even it he is just walking around!!! Phew...)

Also in the late 80's there was Boycey, whom I still travel round to watch and support and this season I have to overcome my fear of boats to get over to IoW to watch him ride!!!!

This thread is a load of old cobblers. All speedway riders have been worth paying to watch who ever they are....who ever they raced for and what ever they did....

Without any of them this sport would be the poorer. What sad people you are. :)

So why bother to contribute to it. If you're not interested, and have nothing of value to add then don't waste your time here. :angry:

This thread is a load of old cobblers. All speedway riders have been worth paying to watch who ever they are....who ever they raced for and what ever they did....

So why bother to contribute to it. If you're not interested, and have nothing of value to add then don't waste your time here. :angry:

:o

:o

There must be a complete Dick Dastardly Bermuda Triangle Forum somewhere because overnight posts seem to disappear. :blink: ... :D

Edited by Gemini

DD - I certainly have no problem with you personally, and welcome anyone's opinion (in general). I did feel that "This thread is a load of old cobblers" and "What sad people you are" was unnecessary and a little disrespectful to tmc, who started the thread, and those who posted answers. I believe the purpose of the thread was to promote answers such as my original post. (particularly re Pratt, because I really would pay good money to see him ride)

If I got the wrong end of the stick I apologise.

:wink::P