British Speedway Forum
covlad459

Coventry 99 % Certain To Be In Elite Next Season Acording To Sandu

We grant you The Aces history but sadly they're a never will be club now, particular when they're just content with pilfering other teams top men rather than look for their own, who have they found of any real quality in recent years.

Hougaard has been the only one that's half decent.

Who have Coventry found? Found, not bought.

Coventry's top rider last season - Kasprzak - was, as you put it, "pilfered" from the Poole Pirates.

Edited by ladyluck

You'd be a wiser person if you didn't make such silly statements. Coventry are nothing compared to the Belle Vue Aces.

Coventry City could get taken over by the Saudi Royal Family and shoot through the leagues, win the Premiership ten years running and they'd still not be as big a name in football as Manchester United, even if at the same time United imploded and ended up in Division Two, or whatever the lowest rung of the Football League is called these days.

Have to agree entirely with this statement. It seems that Cov fans are as full of themselves as their owner, perhaps we would be better off without them.

To say that Coventry aren't the biggest club at the moment is debatable, but I'd still argue the case for it. Yes, Belle Vue are one of the famous names of the sport, along with Wimbledon & Wembley, but Coventry's 60-odd year history is nothing to be sneezed at. If I were coming up with a top 5 of the post-war years, Coventry would be in it, alongside Belle Vue, Wembley, Wimbledon & Cradley Heath.

You'd be a wiser person if you didn't make such silly statements. Coventry are nothing compared to the Belle Vue Aces.

Coventry City could get taken over by the Saudi Royal Family and shoot through the leagues, win the Premiership ten years running and they'd still not be as big a name in football as Manchester United, even if at the same time United imploded and ended up in Division Two, or whatever the lowest rung of the Football League is called these days.

But Belle Vue aren;t the Manchester United of speedway, and Coventry City aren't the Bees of football. A better comparison would be Belle Vue as Everton (glorious past, occasionally competitive), and Coventry as an Arsenal (great history, still up there with the best). Wolves would be Villa :) and Poole Chelsea...

EDIT: In terms of titles, its like this:

Belle Vue 10

Wembley 8

Coventry 8

Wimbledon 7

Oxford 5

Poole 5

Wolverhampton 4

Ipswich 4

Reading 4

West Ham 2

New Cross 2

Swindon 2

Cradley Heath 2

Peterborough 2

Eastbourne 2

Bradford 1

Halifax 1

Exeter 1

White City 1

Southampton 1

And Cup wins:

Cradley Heath 7.5

Ipswich 5

Belle Vue 4

Bradford 4

Eastbourne 4

Coventry 3

Wimbledon 3

Poole 3

Kings Lynn 2

Peterborough 2

Oxford 1.5

West Ham 1

Halifax 1

Hackney 1

Sheffield 1

Reading 1

Wolverhampton 1

Lakeside 1

Edited by alan_boon

Belle Vue is the biggest name in British speedway; Peterborough and Coventry cannot compete with the history, tradition and glamour that is attached to the famous "Ace of Clubs" emblem.

that should read was

To say that Coventry aren't the biggest club at the moment is debatable, but I'd still argue the case for it. Yes, Belle Vue are one of the famous names of the sport, along with Wimbledon & Wembley, but Coventry's 60-odd year history is nothing to be sneezed at. If I were coming up with a top 5 of the post-war years, Coventry would be in it, alongside Belle Vue, Wembley, Wimbledon & Cradley Heath.

Cradley Heath? They were nothing before Penhall.

Belle Vue is the biggest name in British speedway; Peterborough and Coventry cannot compete with the history, tradition and glamour that is attached to the famous "Ace of Clubs" emblem.

I would have agreed with that when the famous aces logo was attached to the top of the refs box above the best racetrack in the best stadium in the country . but the aces new home has neither a decent racetrack or decent stadium any longer , just as the aces name is no longer one of the biggest in speedway. If history counted for anything the

Aces would not be racing in an empty stadium every week .

Edited by speedibee

Cradley Heath? They were nothing before Penhall.

yes but look at us after him

What agueing over who is the most famous team when we are in grave danger of losing Coventry speedway!

Lets hope that Coventry are lining up in next years EL, Peterborough in the NL and indeed Mildenhall revival hopes bear frution and Weymouth stave of the threat of shutting down!

We can't afford to lose any teams cause I know how painful it is since I lost my team the Famous Norwich Stars in 1964!

that should read was

Unfortunately WAS is the correct term in this day and age -- sad but true :sad:

What agueing over who is the most famous team when we are in grave danger of losing Coventry speedway!

Lets hope that Coventry are lining up in next years EL, Peterborough in the NL and indeed Mildenhall revival hopes bear frution and Weymouth stave of the threat of shutting down!

We can't afford to lose any teams cause I know how painful it is since I lost my team the Famous Norwich Stars in 1964!

Ahhh...Norwich, and Ove Fundin The Greatest Rider Ever !

Who have Coventry found? Found, not bought.

Coventry's top rider last season - Kasprzak - was, as you put it, "pilfered" from the Poole Pirates.

Harris, Barker, Auty, Hughes, Schlein, Nicholls to name a few, all our own riders that others want to pilfer as you say i said.

Merry Xmas Schumi.:wink:

Harris, Barker, Auty, Hughes, Schlein, Nicholls to name a few, all our own riders that others want to pilfer as you say i said.

Merry Xmas Schumi.:wink:

Not sure any of those count to behonest but one who does is Andreas Jonsson ...

None of whom Coventry found and it hardly seems that long ago that Coventry's CEO was telling everyone that he would never "buy" another rider after he was "stitched up" over the whole "Scott Nicholls-Greg Hancock-Billy Hamill affair". Naturally enough, Mr Sandhu didn't stand by his words, but there you go.

You surely can't be disputing your use of the term "pilfer":

... particular[ly] when they're just content with pilfering other teams top men rather than look for their own, who have they found of any real quality in recent years.

Barker did actually ride for Coventry in the ill-fated conference trophy team from Brandon so you could possibly include him.

Ultimately if you are a top flight club you aren't going to "find" many riders. You are either going to sign riders from the PL or even NL, in which case other teams "found them" or you bring riders over. The majority of riders brought over are already stars or highly rated youngsters in other leagues so I doubt they count as "finds" either.