British Speedway Forum
westo97

Grand Prix Speedway 2011

British speedway will linger on in some form or other, but the SGP wouldn't survive for long without the national leagues because the riders simply couldn't make a living out of what it pays.

Looked like it was burning through a fortune from whatever angle you look at it. Nothing wrong in trying and things not working out, but it does put it all into perspective. Is running a clothes store really the next big thing though..? ;)

no idea never had a clothes shop but looks like john thinks it is.

reading was good and the money was not the problem, john had a dislike for the bspa and also knew the track was closing and moved it on. thats good commercial sense to me.

Well, he did plenty of complaining about money when it all went breasts up and then he had Philip Rising running around various forums pleading his case. Furthermore, the situation in regard to the track hadn't changed materially from the time he bought Reading, so surely a lack of commercial sense when he bought the club? I seem to recall that he closed Reading shortly after he sold out to IMG.

no idea never had a clothes shop but looks like john thinks it is.

Would have thought it's merely "swann'ing" around in an already "flood'ed" market, but there you go... ;)

is karting for people who dont have a fast road car

We all have our inadequacies, but mine at least aren't losing lots of money... :P

Would have thought it's merely "swann'ing" around in an already "flood'ed" market, but there you go... ;)

We all have our inadequacies, but mine at least aren't losing lots of money... :P

ya could be right but hey everyone to there own. if it does well it does if not dont think he is short of a bob or two :D

everthing now a days costs one way or another. karting is a money pit, i did it years ago and to be at the front was dear.

friends of mine do it and spend approx 60k on there boy a season. now thats losing money unless he hits f1 one day.

karting is a money pit, i did it years ago and to be at the front was dear.

friends of mine do it and spend approx 60k on there boy a season. now thats losing money unless he hits f1 one day.

Some teams are rumoured to have budgets of 100K per year now, which is ridiculous money to be spending on what's supposed to be the most basic form of motor sport. The only good thing is you can quick up decent kit quite cheaply from the people who burn pound notes for a hobby... :D

For me it's Hampel all the way for Poland to get back to back world champions :wink:

Keep your money in your pocket. On what grounds could Hampel be world champion. A very fast starter ,if not one of the fastest of the GP riders but how many times does he ever come from the back.

Some teams are rumoured to have budgets of 100K per year now, which is ridiculous money to be spending on what's supposed to be the most basic form of motor sport. The only good thing is you can quick up decent kit quite cheaply from the people who burn pound notes for a hobby... :D

seems to me you have an answer for everything :lol: yep bored the pants off me now. time to move on, bye B)

Some teams are rumoured to have budgets of 100K per year now,

That does seem a small budget to me. Gunther Bauer is reported, in Motorrad magazine to have a budget of 75,000 for only 8 GP's on the ice.

The GP speedway riders must be spending at least double that.

The GP speedway riders must be spending at least double that.

Speedway is a professional sport though, and the SGP prize money would off-set some of the outgoings.

Ice racing is an interesting one though as the prize money is very low, especially considering the travel expenses the riders must rack up. Do any riders actually make a living from the sport, or all they all part-timers who have to subsidise their own racing? :blink:

Maybe a little biased, but I personally feel Fredrik Lindgren will make big strides this season and will be around the top five with a few rostrums and possibly his first GP win. There is no way a rider should dominate as he does here and not make the break through and at still only 25, he has time to develop a lot more.

In a perfect world, I would like to see Freddie or Emil lift the title, possibly Emil has the better chance if he can use his brain a bit more than sheer guts and determination, with Kolodiej third oerall.

Goodbye to the top 10 for Hancock and Harris as riding BV wont help him one bit as he will be more used to road racing.

E/W bet in certain GP's for Artem Laguta who may not make the top 10, but will have the odd round where he looks brilliant.

Crump won 3 world titles as a BV rider, so Harris GP fortunes won't be harmed by riding for Belle Vue.

i'd say that it will be a very tight championship thís year.

If Emil is fit he will surely be top 5, if Kolodziej continues like he did in 2010 i'd say that he'll be a top 5 candidate as well, together with Crump, Gollob & Hampel. Those are the ones i believe will be top 5-6. Maybe also Nicki.

Then we have a whole bucnh of riders fighting for the two remaning top 8 places, Bjerre, Holder, Harris, Holta, AJ, Greg, Freddie but probably not Anto9 and Laguta.

Edited by Ghostwalker

Maybe a little biased, but I personally feel Fredrik Lindgren will make big strides this season and will be around the top five with a few rostrums and possibly his first GP win. There is no way a rider should dominate as he does here and not make the break through and at still only 25, he has time to develop a lot more.

Goodbye to the top 10 for Hancock and Harris as riding BV wont help him one bit as he will be more used to road racing.

Give it up, fellow. Lindgren is a Swedish version of Nicholls. Hancock and Harris are much more likely to be in the top ten than Lindgren. He's a non-event in Poland and three rounds are staged in Poland. You can point to his EL dominance all you like, but in the altogether more serious Ekstraliga his average was 6.54. That's less than Sebastian Ułamek. Hell, it's less than Leon Madsen.

The rider who has the most perfect gating set up will win without a doubt, who's it gonna be this year, ermmmmmmm