British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
frenchy

Nickname Query

Did Middlesbrough use the 'Bears' nickname in 1968 and 1969 ? I know they became the 'Teeside Tigers' for 1970 and a few years on from then.

Thanks.

Did Middlesbrough use the 'Bears' nickname in 1968 and 1969 ? I know they became the 'Teeside Tigers' for 1970 and a few years on from then.

Thanks.

From '68 to '72 they were the Teessiders. Bears was pre-'61 and from '89 to '96.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

One question based on Alan's reply - Alan you state the 'Bears' was pre-61 and 'Teesiders' from 68 to 72, what were nicknamed in between 60 & 67 ?

Thanks again.

One question based on Alan's reply - Alan you state the 'Bears' was pre-61 and 'Teesiders' from 68 to 72, what were nicknamed in between 60 & 67 ?

Thanks again.

I recall them being Bears during the 1960s. I think the use of the Teeside name came about following name changes in local government.

Thanks again.

Sorry, git a little mixed up. Bears was used up to '48, when they moved north to Newcastle. It was revived in '61, until '64 when they moved to Halifax. There was then no league speedway in Middlesbrough until the Teessiders in '68.

Sorry, git a little mixed up. Bears was used up to '48, when they moved north to Newcastle. It was revived in '61, until '64 when they moved to Halifax. There was then no league speedway in Middlesbrough until the Teessiders in '68.

Alan - In 65 & 66 'Boro were an Open track. In 65 they, as far as I know, only raced 1 team challenge. In 66 they raced 10 team matches of which 9 were in the 'Northern League' & 1, against Hackney, a 'pure' challenge. Most open (aka non-league) teams still have nicknames (such as Rye House's Red Devils & Roosters) so my question would be, for 65 &, especially, 66 what nickname (if any) did 'Boro use ?

Many thanks for the help BTW.

Frenchy - I rememeber reading an old Middlesborough program from 1965 and Eric Boothroyd was listed as the promoter.

They were known as the Bears.

Frenchy - I rememeber reading an old Middlesborough program from 1965 and Eric Boothroyd was listed as the promoter.

They were known as the Bears.

Thanks for that Prodons.

I'm pretty sure that between Middlesbrough Teessiders in 1968/9 and Teesside Tigers they rode for a couple of years as Teesside Teessiders, certainly in my first two seasons at Rayleigh in 1971 & 2. I can't comment on 1970. I seem to remember the change to Tigers came in '73.

Rob McCaffery.

Thanks Rob; you inspired me to dig out my copy of National League Speedway 1968-1977. According to that, it goes as follows :

1968-70 - Middlesbrough 'Teessiders'

1971-73 - Teesside 'Teessiders'

1974-77 - Teesside 'Tigers'

Steve