British Speedway Forum
gypilgrim

Sheffield & Scunthorpe Nl Team

It's not a difficult concept to understand, the team are there to bring riders on, the name doesn't matter too much really, however if calling them Sheffield when they race at Sheffield and Scunthorpe when they race at Scunthorpe means more fans come through the door then that's the best way forward simply.

It would be good to see the Hull name revived, it may help with pushes for a new stadium for the Vikings, it really depends how fickle certain fans at both clubs are and won't attend because of the name of the side rather than supporting the youngsters who could be the future of British speedway.

If I am one of those fickle fans Rocket ben so be it. I have always spoken out for the youngsters and I'm 100% behind them getting the best opportunities to get to the top of our sport. If this new system does that for them I'll be happy. I'll just miss out on some of the meetings!

It's not a difficult concept to understand, the team are there to bring riders on, the name doesn't matter too much really, however if calling them Sheffield when they race at Sheffield and Scunthorpe when they race at Scunthorpe means more fans come through the door then that's the best way forward simply.

It would be good to see the Hull name revived, it may help with pushes for a new stadium for the Vikings, it really depends how fickle certain fans at both clubs are and won't attend because of the name of the side rather than supporting the youngsters who could be the future of British speedway.

Exactly what i think Ben.

I wonder how many will really care about the name come end of season if the team has a chance of finishing in top spot or winning the NL in the play offs.

Either way scunny/sheffield or whatever they end up being called will have a great chance.

If I am one of those fickle fans Rocket ben so be it. I have always spoken out for the youngsters and I'm 100% behind them getting the best opportunities to get to the top of our sport. If this new system does that for them I'll be happy. I'll just miss out on some of the meetings!

It was just a generality June, I'm not doubting your support, I've seen on this section before you're always supporting the youngsters and that is what we all should do.

I can see how you feel, we have the same situation with the Cobras now track sharing as the Hackney Hawks, i'll support the team at Rye as always, however I won't travel to Lakeside and pay £12 to watch because it isn't viable for me to do so, which is a shame because I always enjoy watching our National League meetings.

It was just a generality June, I'm not doubting your support, I've seen on this section before you're always supporting the youngsters and that is what we all should do.

I can see how you feel, we have the same situation with the Cobras now track sharing as the Hackney Hawks, i'll support the team at Rye as always, however I won't travel to Lakeside and pay £12 to watch because it isn't viable for me to do so, which is a shame because I always enjoy watching our National League meetings.

Thats it exactly and at the same time supporting the prem team, cost of petrol and admittance all too expensive! The N/L being my favourite tier of racing I am going to miss it.

Im sorry but yet again Im not getting this attachment with Hull to Scunthorpe or Sheffield except that they are the two closest geographical tracks, an example to me would be to change the Belle Vue NL team to say Bradford even though they dont race from there. I would love Hull to come back into the sport & I'm sure a lot of promotors would help them out if they had their own promotion & plans for a track.

This situation is inherently different to say Dudley who have their own promotion & race at different tracks. Scunthorpe already have an existing team & the same promotion,there is no case for changing the name to Hull, of course Sheffield or Prowlers name may come into it in the future as this will give the fans something to cheer but I would say for now they are more interested in the riders than the name.

Like June after following the Saints from inception I would prefer all things stay the same but I've also noticed the crowds drop off dramatically over the last 2 seasons, being a realist to the harsh realities of the current finaincial climate this joint venture to me makes more sense than having NO NL racing. There are also many positives to be gained from a Sheffield tie-up; notably the large track experience, the possibility if the crowds return for cup matches, the ability to get a decent number 1, losses reduced etc. I do realise this wont suit all but I just cant see how we could have carried on without heavy subsidies from the Stock cars.

Im sorry but yet again Im not getting this attachment with Hull to Scunthorpe or Sheffield except that they are the two closest geographical tracks, an example to me would be to change the Belle Vue NL team to say Bradford even though they dont race from there. I would love Hull to come back into the sport & I'm sure a lot of promotors would help them out if they had their own promotion & plans for a track.

This situation is inherently different to say Dudley who have their own promotion & race at different tracks. Scunthorpe already have an existing team & the same promotion,there is no case for changing the name to Hull, of course Sheffield or Prowlers name may come into it in the future as this will give the fans something to cheer but I would say for now they are more interested in the riders than the name.

Like June after following the Saints from inception I would prefer all things stay the same but I've also noticed the crowds drop off dramatically over the last 2 seasons, being a realist to the harsh realities of the current finaincial climate this joint venture to me makes more sense than having NO NL racing. There are also many positives to be gained from a Sheffield tie-up; notably the large track experience, the possibility if the crowds return for cup matches, the ability to get a decent number 1, losses reduced etc. I do realise this wont suit all but I just cant see how we could have carried on without heavy subsidies from the Stock cars.

Exactly what I said last night - albeit I used Ellesmere Port as the example (much to the confusion of at least one befuddled cock-a-ney :rolleyes: )

Presumably Neil Machin is looking for some form of sponsorship for his involvement & Rob Godfrey for his.

How would it look if the latter went to the Saints current sponsor ( a local firm, I believe) & announced "oh, & they're called Hull now"???

The idea of calling the team Hull originally came from myself and it was to give the team a single identity, as I could not see the team selling by calling it the Saints or the Prowlers. I had not thought of the idea of sharing the name of the team, which seems to be the best compromise at the moment.

Exactly what I said last night - albeit I used Ellesmere Port as the example (much to the confusion of at least one befuddled cock-a-ney :rolleyes: )

Presumably Neil Machin is looking for some form of sponsorship for his involvement & Rob Godfrey for his.

How would it look if the latter went to the Saints current sponsor ( a local firm, I believe) & announced "oh, & they're called Hull now"???

Jotun Paints headquarters is in Sandefjord, Norway, not too close to Scunny ;)

Slightly off topic;

This situation is inherently different to say Dudley who have their own promotion
actually WHO are the Dudley promotion ?? Yes Nigel Pearson is Chairman, backers are Wolverhampton Speedway <CVS> and were Birmingham <Gary Patchett> personally i am of the opinion NP was a suitable frontman for CVS who possibly thought Cradley fans would not accept him as Main man in resurecting the Heathens, and who pocketed the profits generated by Dudley in 2010 ??, will it be used to get our OWN Track. Edited by greyhoundp

Jotun Paints headquarters is in Sandefjord, Norway, not too close to Scunny ;)

Yeah, & I'm pretty sure it'll be the local branch who are involved in the sponsorship - or maybe in the seventies when the top League was sponsored by Gulf Oil it was because Arabs were keen on speedway :D

Says in the SS the last rider has PL experience.. has to be Cooperman surely! :D

Going back to the team building topic, surely Paul Cooper's average means he is definitely not the man in question.

James Birkenshaw perhaps?

Or for a curve ball, I know a certain former Tiger and Heathen was loving working with High Skidmore in the pits last season and itching to get back on a bike. Too late for a final firing of the Scud missile?

Well scunny have over 12 points to play with so I dont see why Cooper couldnt fit?? he has a PL average of 5.12 (from the BSPA greensheets). I dont know how much it costs to have a PL rider at NL level racing, I really hope that Scunny can afford him if they want him & Cooper wants to do NL racing for a season as well. I think Rob was saying an announcement was to be made shortly, I'm keeping everything crossed :)