British Speedway Forum
gypilgrim

Sheffield & Scunthorpe Nl Team

As trailed on their website this afternoon, in tomorrow's Speedway Star there is a story about Scunthorpe and Sheffield fielding a joint team.

" Scunthorpe and Sheffield agree a co-operation deal which will see the two Premier League sides join forces to track a third division team".

Can anyone shed any light on this ?

Edited by Exiled Cuda

Sounds like excellent news, can only be good for both clubs and riders, with riders getting to ride two differing tracks.

Wonder if Squall will be supporting for the National League next season.

Totally agree spinny can only benefit the riders :approve:

That's the burning question will squall be switching allegiances?

Been discussing with Junior about what they will call the team, and he has come with the Hull keeping another well known speedway name alive.

Ah the SCUNNY SHEFFS ..can see it now the riders wearing short aprons instead of body colours.. :D

Edited by waco

Well both Scunthorpe and Sheffield have very strong connections with Steel.

Well both Scunthorpe and Sheffield have very strong connections with Steel.

Sheffthorpe Steelers or Scunfield Ironmen ??

:wink:

Oh lord... :unsure:

Scunthorpe Saints

Well the release about "Press & Practice" says

"For the first time in three years the Henderson Insurance Scunthorpe Scorpions and Jotun Paints Scunthorpe Saints are set to hold their Press and Practice Day at the weekend and are encouraging the club’s fans to get involved and come and meet the team in person. The date is Sunday 13th March and on-track session is set to start around midday but once the riders have finished practicing they will be interviewed in the club bar which is to be opened up for the day.".

What will be Sheffield's input ?

I think that sheff are going to run a few meetings when they have a blank week.Example; 9 home fixtures 5 at scunny and 4 at sheff

Scunny / Sheff promotions as far as the fans are aware have a very good relationship, we often see Machin & Hoggy often does the announcing. A couple of home meetings at Sheffield would be great for me & I'd go to watch.

I think in the future the NL team may well be a talent production line where there is not going to be enough places in the PL team (like this season with Birks / R.Worral at Sheffield/Newcastle respectively) & hopefully in future seasons there maybe even more riders capable of doubling up into the PL, Machin working with Rob Godfrey may give Sheffield a tie-up advantage in terms of first refusal :)

Anyway just my opinion I have no inside info.

It's good experience for the youngsters to race on different tracks, so sharing the meetings at both Sheffield and Scunthorpe is a plus. But how do Tigers fans feel about turning out to watch "Scunthorpe Saints" ? Bit of a hard sell for the Tigers promotion methinks.

It's good experience for the youngsters to race on different tracks, so sharing the meetings at both Sheffield and Scunthorpe is a plus. But how do Tigers fans feel about turning out to watch "Scunthorpe Saints" ? Bit of a hard sell for the Tigers promotion methinks.

Personally i don't think the team will be the Scunthorpe Saints if we take on half of the meetings this season. I hope we get the Vikings back :approve: .

Edited by spin king junior