British Speedway Forum
Paul

Hackney V American Touring Team

Am I right that yesterday's match was held in Rye House?

Am I right that yesterday's match was held in Rye House?

you are correct..

I'd seen the Yanks at Brum earlier in the week so knew this would be a mis-match, hence I wasn't there John, though a shame as it would've been good to see you and the family... :cry:

Asked a friend to buy me a Hawks prog board if there was one, as am heading off to see the first NL away match at King's Lynn on Weds. There of course as you say wasn't one... :cry:

Was involved with Bournemouth the two years Poole experimented with that branded NL team and we had a vast array of merchandising for the Buccs... Which I think you really should do to stand a chance of making the separate identity work...

And as for the prog for a stand-alone 'Hackney' fixture simply being a RH one..? Well I agree that's very poor indeed...

Personally I think the Hackney thing is going to work a whole lot better at Lakeside and really looking forward to that - and the away matches too..

Hi Derek

Totally agree with what you say - seemed a mystery to me not to have any souvenirs for the Hawks, would think that there would be demand for programme boards, or maybe scarves, hats etc? Totally looked like a shabby marketing ploy to bring a few old fans in - hopefully Jon Cook will do a bit better. Didn't see any old faces there yesterday (other than in the mirror!!), can see the crowds falling to be honest. I think there were around 500-550 there, but no concessions seems like a strange move too.

Cheers

John

A strange night.

Fantastic to see Thommo. All the boys looked sharp. Freemantle looks a good prospect. Shane looked like he could hit the ground running. Hopwwood continues to impress. Owen fast and smooth when in front but seems to struggle for ideas when at the back.Ben clearly benefitting from his run with the Rockets.

Great to see the colours back. Also good to see a healthy crowd despite the predictions of doom.

I think the Hawks could be in for a great season if they can stay injury free.

Now the bad news - old boys aside the US were completely out of their depth and I think Thommo might have beaten half of them. They will clearly need to strengthen for the rest of the tour. As a consequence not much racing. I had been hoping to see some Hawks merchandise too. Maybe it will appear as the season progresses. And no fish !

Austin Novratil joins the yanks for the rest of the tour so we should be more in it!

Good to see Sreve. no doubt everyone was trying. It would just be a shame if the tour fizzled due to a lack of interest if the scores are nt closer.

A woefully weak usa team bearing no comparison to previous teams that have toured in the past and i doubt many promoters will be inviting them back next season unless Steve Evans can garrantee a team that is competative at this level..A field day for the young Hawks,winning races is always good for confidence even when you beat nothing..Lets hope when the real racng starts on wednesday at Kings Lynn,the Hawks will really fly..

You can't do any worse than we did tonight. In fact, no one can.

Mostly - no Hawks merchandise,bar a badge. Even the programme was branded Rye House (would have liked Len to go to the expence of a staple to hold it together for 2 quid? :blink: ). None of this differentiated Hackney as a different team than the 3rd division team from last year.

I agree. The Hawks do have their own website:

http://www.hackneyhawks.co.uk/

I think fans would be happy to purchase a programme if it had its separate identity. It just needs some liaison between the website owner and the Rye and Hammers' promotions. Content should include profiles of visiting riders, match reports and features on previous riders who have ridden for the Hawks along with reports on meetings of long ago. A good start might be the KO cup semi-final against the Stars. Hackney, having achieved an unlikely draw away at Kings Lynn, won the replay 39-38 at Waterden Road thanks to a classic cut back by Benga coming out of the final turn to take Terry Betts in lap 4 of the final heat.

Edited by tocha