British Speedway Forum

Sad to say but speedway will have to be really top class to match the cars at Auckland - midget cars and sprint cars. Take a look at some of the links both main and to the right to be found here:

Edited by kennylane

Sad to say but speedway will have to be really top class to match the cars at Auckland - midget cars and sprint cars. Take a look at some of the links both main and to the right to be found here:

I really can't see what is so exciting about those sprint car races.

No worries, mate...

I really can't see what is so exciting about those sprint car races.

You'll have to come along to a meeting sometime - they are brutally fast.

I've never seen sprintcars racing live but I have had a chance to see them on TV. Looks really fast and fight is really good. Unlike midgets for example. I think they still run them at Parramatta, don't they.

Totally agree Kiwi.... People always try to knock things, and until they're given a go you never know if it will work. I've already told the misses she may get a trip up to go and stay at her Aunt and Uncle's near Auckland next year for a weekend as I'll be making my way to the speedway :)

Would be good to meet some New Zealand fans like yourself too.... I know enough from England... I need more over here :)

We'll be in Chch next meeting.

88a 250 class

I've never seen sprintcars racing live but I have had a chance to see them on TV. Looks really fast and fight is really good. Unlike midgets for example. I think they still run them at Parramatta, don't they.

Yep. still have Midgets or 'Speedcars' at Parramatta; racing is usually fast, four wide & furious!

Incidentally tonight is the 700th meeting at Parramatta, with the winner of the first event in 1977. Bob Blacklaw, the special guest. Hopefully he'll be presenting the winner's trophy to the Territory's own Bad Boy Benny Atkinson, in the No 2 Pick'n Payless car (driving for 10-time Aussie Champ Gary Rush), who's currently the runaway leader in the Sydney Sprintcar Championship from Ian Loudon and Mitch Dumesny.

We'll be in Chch next meeting.

88a 250 class

Unfortunately I won't be about as the Football season now started and I'm coaching for 3 teams as well as playing... but hopefully next year will catch up with ya

HOW wrong you are ...

No worries, mate...

I believe a GP in Auckland will attract a large crowd - probably about 30,000. However, many of them will not be speedway fans but going there to watch 'something new.' How many of them will subsequently attend future speedway meetings is open to conjecture. At the most, there are four tracks in New Zealand staging speedway-only meetings, and these are virtually once a month meetings. Other speedway races go on as filler events at car race meetings. I wonder what percentage of the theoretical 30,000 crowd will be interested enough to watch more bike speedway races after the GP and how they will react when they see difference in standard between New Zealand speedway, at best akin to National League racing, compared to the world class stars of the GP?

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

Edited by olddon

No worries, mate...

I believe a GP in Auckland will attract a large crowd - probably about 30,000. However, many of them will not be speedway fans but going there to watch 'something new.' How many of them will subsequently attend future speedway meetings is open to conjecture. At the most, there are four tracks in New Zealand staging speedway-only meetings, and these are virtually once a month meetings. Other speedway races go on as filler events at car race meetings. I wonder what percentage of the theoretical 30,000 crowd will be interested enough to watch more bike speedway races after the GP and how they will react when they see difference in standard between New Zealand speedway, at best akin to National League racing, compared to the world class stars of the GP?

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

No worries, mate...

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

No worries, mate...

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT