British Speedway Forum
Gambo

Rolling Averages

Am I correct that the use of 2010 meetings is dependant on the status of the rider. For example Riders A and B both rode 10 meetings in 2010, and both rode none in 2011.

So in 2012 Rider A's Rolling Average includes those 10 2010 meetings. He only starts dropping them once riding is 19th meeting of 2012.

In contrast Rider B's 2012 Rolling Average is exclusively made up from 2012 meetings (his 2010 meetings are all ignored)

Am I correct the both scenario's can be played out in 2012?

Equally is it true if Rider's C and D both rode 6H/3A in 2010 (but none in 2011), that Rider C could get a new average after his first 2012 away meeting, whilst Rider D would have to wait at least eight 2012 meetings (4H/4A) to get a new average?

I think the scenarios for Riders A, B and D are all possible. Not so sure about Rider C.

If a rider takes part in a meeting but officially takes no rides, what happens? The scenario I mean is when a rider is injured in his first ride (which is stopped and re-run), he is not excluded but is unable to take any further part in the meeting. In normal record keeping, this would go down as the slightly odd (but in my opinion, totally correct) 1 meeting, 0 rides. Normally that has no impact on averages. But under these rolling averages where only the last 28 or 38 meetings count, it matters.

The scenario happened to Joonas Kylmakorpi this season and it appears the BSPA have completely discounted his appearance in that meeting which I think is the wrong thing to do.

In many ways, I quite like the rolling averages, but (as well as the above scenario) I don't like the way that meetings from so long ago can still count. When very, very few riders ride every meeting in a season, they are very likely to have meetings from 2 seasons ago counting - that doesn't seem right really. The rider who is quite cleaely the best rider in the Elite League is still getting his average reduced by his less impressive 2010 form - is that right? Is it really relevant now? And what I find even more silly is that now the PL has a different number of meetings from last year, every single rider is guaranteed to have very old meetings counting.

They didn't include Scott Nicholls' MMM at BV last season. Despite him technically having 3 rides.

Three 2-minute exclusions when he didn't turn up? That's interesting, although in my book I wouldn't count that as a meeting because he didn't actually appear on track (or even in the pits, presumably!)

Any ideas when the SCB (not you!) might finally decide to replace the 2011 rules on their website with 2012 ones?

Three 2-minute exclusions when he didn't turn up? That's interesting, although in my book I wouldn't count that as a meeting because he didn't actually appear on track (or even in the pits, presumably!)

Any ideas when the SCB (not you!) might finally decide to replace the 2011 rules on their website with 2012 ones?

It's a difficult one as technically, he had the minimum 3 rides. If you dont include them, what if a rider is late and only turns up for his last ride do scores MM3. Is that 3 from 3 or 3 from 1?

I'm sure someone said "soon" - I'm not holding my breathe, they know now that us fans rip them to pieces so they'll keep them hidden.

But 2-minute exclusions don't count towards averages whether the rider is (or can be) replaced or not. I think in that case it is 3 from 1 although his team will only have had 28 rides that count towards averages that night. Slightly odd maybe but I think that's the right way - the same as if there are three-rider races because of injuries.

Speedway Rules are FAR too complicated for a Rolling Average Bloke like me. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes::oops:

I see In September's rolling averages Plymouth's Jake Anderson has been listed as having ridden 2 matches, have the bspa forgot he rode for Birmingham / Glasgow in 2010, shouldn't these matches count?

I see In September's rolling averages Plymouth's Jake Anderson has been listed as having ridden 2 matches, have the bspa forgot he rode for Birmingham / Glasgow in 2010, shouldn't these matches count?

It depends, who stands to gain? Aaron Summers never had his 2010 EL meetings included in his average, yet Chris Schramm was deemed an illegal guest for Coventry last week because of meetings in the EL in 2010. Josh G at Bv also has 2010 figures in his average.

About time the BSPA sent the rulebook to a primary school to get sorted once and for all. :D

• Like 3

I think this whole thread sums up why your average man in the street avoids speedway like a tarts toothbrush. If even die hard fans can't understand the rules, what chance does a newcomer have ?

• Like 3

Bringing the PL Averages broadly into line with the EL Averages, the PL Green Sheets (Rolling Averages) will only have 2013 PL Matches added to them.

The number of effective RA Matches (Currently 38) will gradually be reduced throughout the season, so that by September the majority of riders’ averages will consist of PL Matches only.

Issues from the BSPA, effective from the 1st of the month, will be reduced to:-

May: 35 meetings

June: 32 meetings

July: 29 meetings

August: 26 meetings

September: 24 meetings.

ATB

Dave

No doubt some will moan but I like that. I also like that it's happening gradually.

When I saw the thread "Rolling Average" I thought it was the number of times riders were pulled back by the ref. :shock::cheers: