British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

Cardiff Date.slip Up Or What?

just seen the sport calendar in the Guardian and the Cardiff GP is scheduled for the same day as the Euro 2004 opening day and just a day before England play France! What are the people who run the sport playing at? The whole of the sporting media is going to be concentrating on the football the whole week ,speedway is hardly going to get a look in. Maybe the local press might give it a bit of publicity,and then it`s lucky that Wales got knocked out !The chances of using the event to attract publicity and new supporters seem wasted :(

Doesn't really make any difference as Speedway rarely gets much of a mention anyway.

Since the GP has been held in Cardiff it has always been the second Saturday in June to work around all the other things at the stadium.

Speedway or football?!

SPEEDWAY!

Who cares about England vs France? Watch Pedersen vs Crump vs TRick vs Adams instead!

I'm sure anyone in Cardiff GP weekend will be able to find a bar showing England vs France if they ask, after all, all of Wales will be suporting the French ;) (or nobody at all as it's a bloody stupid sport!)

The world cup was on one year same date as Cardiff, it just added to the atmosphere :)

Edited by shazzybird

The world cup was on one year same date as Cardiff, it just added to the atmosphere :)

it totally did!!! the patriotic fervour was at a peak..the day after england bt argentina if my memory serves me? even some of the cardiff cabbies were wearing england shirts!! only some though! :D

Well at least the thugs will be in Portugal and not in Cardiff :D

All very well if you don`t like football but it misses the point really that Speedway looses a chance to attract new supporters when the media is concentrated elsewhere! And given that the Guardian of all papers listed the GP dates and had an article about lindback a few months ago there are possibilities to get publicity at the right time. There are certainly a few tracks around the country that could do with a few more customers coming through the turnstiles

Guest crumpy fan

stuff it football's football it's played all year every 2 years and it's talked about 24/7 speedway comes to cardiff once a year every so i'd much rather spend 3 to 4 hrs drivin down to cardiff than sit at home watch football which will be repeated later on in the week there be highlights on and if your that worried about missin u most probley have a vcr and watch when you wake up when ever you want.

any wayz the dj there will keep us informed on the score so u won't be wonderin what the score is and i'm sure ppl there will have mates that are watchin the footi and txtin them the score as the match is happin so you'll find out some way or another.

anywayz rock cardiff and lets get ready for the best british gp to date and have some fun.

What dya mean theres football on?

I've checked the SFA and SFL websites but dont see any mention of any game that weekend...... :P:wink: there are times being Scottish has its 'advantages' lol.

As others have said the football clashed a couple of years ago as well. As a football fan I quite enjoyed teh bizarre experienceof sitting-well ok standing and jumping around to see the screen - in a bar in Wales watching the England game with Welsh, English, Polish and Danish people. The speedway spirit prevailed and it was an enjoyable experience.

BTL, you better warn Mrs BTL she might be stranded if there is a game on in the afternoon.....lol

What r u lot getting in a huff about. The england games the day after. I'm sure not much interest will be given in the opening match. Anyone who's gone to see it will have planned it months ago and for footie fans their not going to miss the football to see speedway for the first time are they??? :shock:

What dya mean theres football on?

lol there might be a scottish ref there though!

:P

Splatty if you can find such a thing as a Scottish referee fit to referee any match you'll be lucky!

(I've just come from a match where a player with a bad injury was refused treatment and forced by the referee to crawl approx 15 yards to the touchline whilst he held up the game to watch him do it and I am not happy!)

nothing changes but a good reason to stay in cardiff on sunday afternoon i say :D:D:D

do people think that the gp would have got any more press if euro 2004 woz not going on, I THINK NOT :mad:

but tiddlewinks world championship is also going on at the same time(not) but if it woz u would b sure to readabout it :angry::angry:

Whether there is football on or not, if it's on whilst I'm outside the ground no doubt I will watch it in a nice bar somewhere................if it's on just as we are about to walk into Cardiff Millennium Stadium then speedway will win hands down!

No problem watch a game in the afternoon in the pub speedway at night and listen to all the lads in the pub the next day saying what a wonderful/dreadful match we had missed on tv., because we were watching speedway LIVE!!!!!! I know where I'd rather be and approx 40,000 other speedway fans :wink:

EURO 2004? IS THAT A TRADE FAIR OR SOMETHING?

NO CONTEST.