British Speedway Forum
Mimmo

King's Lynn V Newport (nl)

Yes. I agree! Maybe if it was mentioned in the local press a bit more (i.e correct line ups given beforehand and then meeting reports posted afterwards) it might tempt a few more people into going on a regular basis? You never know...

I'd dearly like that to be the case because I care passionately for the future of the sport at this level, but I somehow don't think that would make a great deal of difference.

I understand, agree and fully respect the thoughts of those that say they can't afford to go watch speedway more than once a week.

I also agree with comments about not wanting to risk lengthy travel in these days of high motoring costs, if the weather looks threatening, I myself don't for other clubs.

What I can't understand is that out of in our case, about a couple of thousand supporters on Elite League nights, that don't share the above concerns, and which face it, law of averages says there must be a decent few, still won't support the club at this different level. If just 80-100 of them turned up, it would make such a massive difference to the overall running costs, to which admittedly I'm not privy, but is obvious.

Whenever I go to Scunthorpe for a combined Premier & National League double-header, I stand dumbfounded when more people than not, make a rush for the exit at the conclusion of the PL event, as if it's illegal to stay for the NL meeting, even though they've paid for it....What's that all about??

Whilst not disagreeing with the advertising thoughts, I don't think with hand on heart that would make any difference, as that's trying to preach to the unconverted, and if they had any interest at all in attending speedway, then they would have done so already, especially when we were receiving rave publicity over our winning exploits of previous years.

Surely the problem can't all be down to financial availability, because there are such a lot of King's Lynn supporters going to Mildenhall at the moment that can afford to go there, but not come to their own club.

One family I spoke to at Mildenhall last Sunday said the reason they go to West Row and not the Norfolk Arena (I'm talking NL only, they come to EL meetings) said that they like the raceday, and in particular the start time, which is understandable when the kids have got to get home and be bathed/showered in readiness for school the nerxt day. But when I said to that same family, who incidentally said they lived at Terrington St Clement (or was it Tilney St Lawrence?), "So you came to the Norfolk Arena when we used to run Sunday meetings did you", they just said something like "Well no, you know what it's like". Trouble is I don't!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only, what I would call genuine reason that I hear from stop away folk, is that they don't like the long drawn out meetings. I guess they've got a point with that argument, because as I said elswehere I believe in this topic a few days ago, some places I go are done and dusted in an hour and a half. If all other avenues have been explored to no avail by the club, then maybe we should look long and hard at trying to speed up proceedings, but then that is surely down to the referee.

But on the other side of the coin, is that the real reason anyway for people not going? Buxton run the slickest presentation I know, seldom over the 90-minutes, yet there crowds are not good, and they have major cities like Manchester & Sheffield close by.

Maybe there isn't an answer, because this debate has been going on for a few years now, long before excessive travel costs etc., and still it rumbles on.

If anybody thats stayed awake long enough to read this posting has taken offence to any of my views, then I humbly(is that spelt right?) apologise, because that is not my intention. We've all got our own views, and we should all respect each others ideas, but for goodness sake, there must be an answer out there somewhere. If resolutions can be made to wars, workers strikes and everything else that is part of life, then surely this problem can be sorted out.

Mind you, 21 missionaries (is that spelt right too?) in New York have said that the world is coming to an end tomorrow. So if you're going to Edinburgh, Plymouth, Somerset or Lakeside (Hackney) tonight, then enjoy your final ever meetings.

Best wishes to you all, and I look forward to seeing you all wherever we may end up :wink:

Mimmo

You dont half witter on....:-)

jb

I'd dearly like that to be the case because I care passionately for the future of the sport at this level, but I somehow don't think that would make a great deal of difference.

I understand, agree and fully respect the thoughts of those that say they can't afford to go watch speedway more than once a week.

I also agree with comments about not wanting to risk lengthy travel in these days of high motoring costs, if the weather looks threatening, I myself don't for other clubs.

What I can't understand is that out of in our case, about a couple of thousand supporters on Elite League nights, that don't share the above concerns, and which face it, law of averages says there must be a decent few, still won't support the club at this different level. If just 80-100 of them turned up, it would make such a massive difference to the overall running costs, to which admittedly I'm not privy, but is obvious.

Whenever I go to Scunthorpe for a combined Premier & National League double-header, I stand dumbfounded when more people than not, make a rush for the exit at the conclusion of the PL event, as if it's illegal to stay for the NL meeting, even though they've paid for it....What's that all about??

Whilst not disagreeing with the advertising thoughts, I don't think with hand on heart that would make any difference, as that's trying to preach to the unconverted, and if they had any interest at all in attending speedway, then they would have done so already, especially when we were receiving rave publicity over our winning exploits of previous years.

Surely the problem can't all be down to financial availability, because there are such a lot of King's Lynn supporters going to Mildenhall at the moment that can afford to go there, but not come to their own club.

One family I spoke to at Mildenhall last Sunday said the reason they go to West Row and not the Norfolk Arena (I'm talking NL only, they come to EL meetings) said that they like the raceday, and in particular the start time, which is understandable when the kids have got to get home and be bathed/showered in readiness for school the nerxt day. But when I said to that same family, who incidentally said they lived at Terrington St Clement (or was it Tilney St Lawrence?), "So you came to the Norfolk Arena when we used to run Sunday meetings did you", they just said something like "Well no, you know what it's like". Trouble is I don't!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only, what I would call genuine reason that I hear from stop away folk, is that they don't like the long drawn out meetings. I guess they've got a point with that argument, because as I said elswehere I believe in this topic a few days ago, some places I go are done and dusted in an hour and a half. If all other avenues have been explored to no avail by the club, then maybe we should look long and hard at trying to speed up proceedings, but then that is surely down to the referee.

But on the other side of the coin, is that the real reason anyway for people not going? Buxton run the slickest presentation I know, seldom over the 90-minutes, yet there crowds are not good, and they have major cities like Manchester & Sheffield close by.

Maybe there isn't an answer, because this debate has been going on for a few years now, long before excessive travel costs etc., and still it rumbles on.

If anybody thats stayed awake long enough to read this posting has taken offence to any of my views, then I humbly(is that spelt right?) apologise, because that is not my intention. We've all got our own views, and we should all respect each others ideas, but for goodness sake, there must be an answer out there somewhere. If resolutions can be made to wars, workers strikes and everything else that is part of life, then surely this problem can be sorted out.

Mind you, 21 missionaries (is that spelt right too?) in New York have said that the world is coming to an end tomorrow. So if you're going to Edinburgh, Plymouth, Somerset or Lakeside (Hackney) tonight, then enjoy your final ever meetings.

Best wishes to you all, and I look forward to seeing you all wherever we may end up :wink:

I do, because like your track shop, I care about it :wink:

There's a guy at King's Lynn who wants a Tomasz Gollob badge, and he's asked me to ask you if you have one in stock that he can buy. I've told him to come and see you on Wednesday :nono::nono: Hey, I'm being dead serious!!

In response to your post Mimmo, in light of what you've said, I can kinda see why it may not make a great deal of difference to the attendance figures, but still, it would be nice to have results put into the paper. For the meeting to get mentioned on a Wednesday, but then to have no results in on a Thursday, seems a bit odd to me.

Unfortunately I just think that the majority of people prefer a higher standard of speedway, no doubt our EL crowds have so far been up on last years PL attendances which in turn were higher than CL/PL crowds have probably ever been at Lynn. I guess it's the same with football if you look through the Premiership and Football League attendances on a Saturday. Personally watching the Young Stars doesn't get my juices flowing like watching the 'big boys' does but I always enjoy watching the NL lad's endeavour and will get along to watch them whenever I can.

Edited by Bagpuss