2004..J Crump..(AUS)..Prague

2005..T Rickardsson..(SWE)..Prague

2006..H Andersen..(DEN)..Prague

2007..N Pedersen..(DEN)..Prague

2008..N Pedersen..(DEN)..Prague

2009..E Sayfutdinov..(RUS)..Prague

2010..T Gollob..(POL)..Prague

Uninteresting Facts

This will be the fifteenth staging of the Czech Grand Prix.

They've all been staged at Prague's Marketa Stadium.

Which means the Marketa has staged fourteen Grands Prix and that's a record.

It's a record the Marketa shares with the Polonia Stadium in Bydgoszcz.

Of course, the Polonia Stadium is no longer a Grand Prix destination, so the Marketa will stand alone in the records after Saturday.

The stadium is in the Brevnov district of Prague and is near to the baroque Brevnov Monastery.

The stadium has a capacity of 10,000 and the track is 353 metres long.

The track record is 62.40 seconds and is held by Greg Hancock.

Greg Hancock set that record on 17 May 1997 during the inaugural Czech Grand Prix, which he won on the way to the world championship.

In the Czech language Prague is called "Praha".

"Prah" in Czech literally means "threshold".

According to legend Prague was founded by a princess called Libuse.

And together with her ploughman husband Premysl she founded the first ruling dynasty of the Czechs, the Premyslids.

St Wenceslas - svateho Vaclav - was a member of the Premyslid dynasty.

He's better known as "Good King Wenceslas" from the popular Christmas Carol, although he was never a king.

Bohemia was a mere dukedom in his time and he was the Duke.

Until his brother Boleslav (Boleslav the Cruel) had him assassinated in 935, that is.

From Prague to Copenhagen

Rudolf II was the last Holy Roman emperor to make Prague his imperial capital.

A patron of the arts and science, Rudolf II invited many prominent artists, alchemists, astronomers and philosophers to his court.

Among those invited was the Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe, who sported a false nose.

Tycho Brahe studied at the University of Copenhagen.

Edited by ladyluck

Who's going, my second time and really looking forward to it

Good for you and hope you really enjoy it. Prague is always described as a beautiful city, however, the women are often even more beautiful. But don't let the wife know that if you are leaving her behind lol.

Sadly, not only am i not going, it will be the first GP i don't get to see live. :cry: Looks like it will be Sunday afternoon or evening before i get to view it.

There is an amazing day of sport scheduled so we having a right old shindig. Several major events for sports that i don't follow too. Of course the major alternative attraction is the European Champions League final with my beloved Manchester United up against Barcelona. Yes i know we are unlikely to win and even more unlikely to, save a miracle, if Fergie deploys the tactic that cost us an extra THREE Champions League crowns of playing a lone striker up front. The initial treble and lots of trophies were won with attack, attack, attack. Ooops i have sooo majorly digressed, a thousand apologies.

My main observation regarding the CL final is that it is annually one of the most watched events on the entire planet. Clearly, even more so this year in vioew of the teams taking part. I'm presuming the switch to a Saturday staging was made after the SGP had already been scheduled??? The football play-off final, cricket test and cricket final all avoid a direct clash.

Was planning to record the speedway and watch it after the match however, Mixed Martial Arts reigns supreme with Cage Warriors at, i think, 9pm and the cream of the crop the Ultimate Fighting Championship in the early hours up to about 5am or later!. So allowing recovery time, no speedway until roughly Sunday evening! I'll certainly record the original meeting whole rather than watch a highlights package. Will need to 'get it out of the way' though before the live Nascar starts later in the evening.

Anyway hope the weather is as beautiful as the city (and the women) and for once there is a raceable track in Prague.

My main observation regarding the CL final is that it is annually one of the most watched events on the entire planet. Clearly, even more so this year in vioew of the teams taking part. I'm presuming the switch to a Saturday staging was made after the SGP had already been scheduled??? The football play-off final, cricket test and cricket final all avoid a direct clash.

I wouldn't have thought so. Last season's Champions League final was staged on a Saturday and as the dates for major football events tend to be announced well in advance, it would seem unlikely that the date for the final wasn't known before the Czech GP was scheduled. Consider, the 2010-2011 football season, in terms of the Champions League, probably started in July, so the final venue and date would be known in the middle of the 2010 speedway season.

To illustrate my point, the 2012 Champions League final will be staged on 19 May 2012 (a Saturday) at the Allianz Arena in Munich and the Euro 2012 final is scheduled to be staged at Kiev's re-constructed Central Stadium on 1 July 2012 (a Sunday). Indeed, the date for the final of the 2014 FIFA World Cup is already known: 13 July 2014.

Edited by ladyluck

You're probably right as i only had a faint inkling that it was a late decision to play the CL final on a Saturday. More likely, it's that it's the first one to be played on a Saturday, in recent years anyway, that was in the back of my mind.

From a selfish point of view i wish they had pulled the SGP start forward to the afternoon lol.

You're probably right as i only had a faint inkling that it was a late decision to play the CL final on a Saturday. More likely, it's that it's the first one to be played on a Saturday, in recent years anyway, that was in the back of my mind.

Well, apart from the one last year that was played on a Saturday, as mentioned in my post above.

Well, apart from the one last year that was played on a Saturday, as mentioned in my post above.

Lol OMG! so it was.

Oh well if United, for once, were not in it i would barely have been aware of it's existence. At least that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it.

After last week's trip to the fence in Sweden we held major worries over Crumpy’s hopes of starting in this weekend’s GP, but those issues have been emphatically laid to rest after he top-scored with 13 points for Rzeszon in their 50-40 win over Tarnow.

Go Crumpy!! What price a Holder/Crump Quinella? He's due! :approve:

Anyone know any pubs in Manchester that will be showing the GP? I will be there ready for the Posh Vs Huddersfield play off final he next day!

volcanic dust just before a gp, yet again, but looks like be able to fly before it hits the uk, hopefully :t:

Anyone have a link to sky for this one - I can find plenty of Polish links but would prefer the English version!