British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
manchesterpaul

Who's Flattering To Deceive And Who Is Lying In Wait

Although it's had to be introduced well ahead of when it was intended to, the projected points feature of the MiniMax league tables (see sticky above) are giving a clearer picture of the league standings than traditional tables are able to right now.

Even a system that is quite impressive in reflecting the true state of play has to make note of the bizarre inequalities of the fixtures staged so far. However, a quick glance at the 'projected points' column is already quite informative for the Elite and Premier leagues.

National League

Very early days in this league so hard to take present trends and results so far as being well set for the course of the season.

However, a strong stat that stands out is Stoke, currently showing as fifth in the traditional tables, being in reality the strongest team so far. 100% home record and, for the level they race at, an impressive 50% of away points earned.

The projected points system will reflect any shift in form of the teams as the season progresses so will serve it's purpose throughout the season even as the fixtures level up (or if?).

I very much hope that Stoke are up there at the end! I think we will know more when we race Sheffield on Thursday. If we can get a point there, I may begin to believe we could be a force. The good thing is that our top 4 are averaging close to 33 (Closer to 36 if you include bonus points)

2 riders who, thus far combined have added 5 points to their averages mean we are looking ok!

As Scunny/Sheff have so many riders doubling up with Premier teams, it is not very often the strongest line up is available, or they would be higher up the league in my opinion.

If we stay injury free I think we'll be up there at the end.

My only concern with our current line up is Gareth and I think it's a confidence issue - would a move to reserve help or hinder him do you think ?

I have no idea with Gareth. He seems quick enough if he gets out in front, but he doesn't gate enough to rely on that, and doesn't seem to have developed the track craft to win without gating. He almost seems afraid to use the outside line. When he drops to reserve, he has to start scoring, and that will probably come with gating. He really needs someone to be at the track with him for a few days just sorting out his gating.

Agreed - but I am hoping in addition a move to reserve may, in the long run, help his confidence as other reserves we have seen so far are quite a bit behind ours, which may mean he will win a few.

As Scunny/Sheff have so many riders doubling up with Premier teams, it is not very often the strongest line up is available, or they would be higher up the league in my opinion.

Good point. NL line-ups can be quite volatile; makes it a hard league to predict.

Still hard to predict, League winners,but it goes without saying Scunny/Sheff, Stoke, The Heathens, and BV Colts for the play offs possible dark horses IOW who had a had a good home win against a Kyle less Colts, Seems the key to all of this is having a strong reserve, such as Richie and Stefan at SS and Jason at the Colts,but for me SS having 2 very capable reserves gives them an edge, i fancy Scunthorpe/Sheffield for the Title.

Suppose I should be doing this after I've seen Sheff/Scunthorpe ride tonight. Impressed with them away and have at least one good reserve...not seen the other lad ride....think he might have an injury for tonight. Think the only thing that could go against Sheff/Sc topping the league is the double up riders( amount of) BV look good too. Like my Potters. Two lads struggling at present but have not enjoyed my speedway as much for years.