British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PhilK

Mildenhall V Hackney - Nl Ko Cup

Dont think it appears to have effected Tai Woffinden or Linus Sunstrom ( to name but 2) to much.

if you have the talent you should be able to ride any track.

Dont think it appears to have effected Tai Woffinden or Linus Sunstrom ( to name but 2) to much.

Both of whom had only just over a year at Rye and neither started riding for Rye so therefore had experience of other types of track :)

if you have the talent you should be able to ride any track.

Can't disagree with that although at NL you are looking at a lot of riders in their formative years and limited resources, often too family members as mechanic who perhaps ( not all cases ) do not have the in depth experience to set bikes up to suit.

Interesting yesterday, Barry struggled and he is not having a bad season & David Mason who both know Mildy well.

Slighty, didnt Kennet start on the trainning track at Arlington ? Maybe Arlington was more a problem to him than Hoddesdon ? I thought Tai and Linus had 2 seasons each at Rye.

A fantastic win for Mildenhall with 3 riders on tip top form (Jacobs,Blackbird & Baseby). But having said this as a spectacle it was very poor and completely one sided. Hackney seemed to have very little stomach for the action and tailed off at the back many a time. Barrie Evans at no1 and an ex-Mildenhall rider expert was awful and only produced one ride of note and that was when jumping the gate and should have been a re-run. Nice to see young Cameron Heeps do a few laps he reminds me of another Taylor Poole. My guess next season we will see Blackbird and Heeps at reserve for the Witches especially as their Witches assets :)

Slighty, didnt Kennet start on the trainning track at Arlington ? Maybe Arlington was more a problem to him than Hoddesdon ? I thought Tai and Linus had 2 seasons each at Rye.

Let me put it another way.If Luke Bowen did not get a team spot at Rye for some reason can you see any other team offering him a place given his inflated average from home meetings?Moral appears to be ok in small doses at Rye as long as you learn to ride elsewhere beforehand....... :blink:

Other riders have left Rye and picked up rides elsewhere. Roynon, Mear, Allen, Boxall for example. I think the Bowen example is only used to fit your argument. He is a rider who has sustained a fair few injuries over the years, who knows how far he may have gone, somethign we will never know. You could use the same argument about Kings Lynn with Adam Allot.

Other riders have left Rye and picked up rides elsewhere. Roynon, Mear, Allen, Boxall for example. I think the Bowen example is only used to fit your argument. He is a rider who has sustained a fair few injuries over the years, who knows how far he may have gone, somethign we will never know. You could use the same argument about Kings Lynn with Adam Allot.

Would not disagree with your logic re Adam and Robert but the others hardly shone anywhere else.We could take it a step further and pose the question of how many riders in recent times have gone on to international titles having ridden for Rye in their early years?I do not like being critical of someone who obviously cares but the size and shape of Rye is different enough without the added handicap of it being bereft of shale so as to make it virtually impossible to adapt bikes,styles etc for other tracks especially with the restrictions of N.L. riders budgets. :oops:

That is surely not unique to Hoddesdon. I seem to recall Rob Lyon stating he was not looking forward to the Stars recent trip to Lakeside, kind of one he wanted to get out of the way. Yet the trip to Rye House, in recent years, has always seen Lynn in with a sniff of the points.

Edited by semion

Whilst I respect Len Silver for his attempts to support young british riders in some respects he does them a disservice in that as soon as they encounter a track with any amount of grip they are somewhat lost.They are mostly very good riders but unless their stay at Rye is only a short one they never seem to step on to the next level.Eddie Kennett is the most obvious example,on small slick tracks he can beat anybody on his day but anywhere else and he flounders.

Nonsence I'm afraid - Evans Mason and Hopwood have riden all types of tracks.

Ben morley has mostly ridden Rye but has adapted to all types of tracks.

As for Kennett - Coventry is grippy as hell and he dont have troubler there

Rob Mear aint too bad either - Steve Boxall also.

I think you are doing Mildenhall a disservice for yesterdays performance as some of the Awks are living on past achievements.

A fantastic win for Mildenhall with 3 riders on tip top form (Jacobs,Blackbird & Baseby). But having said this as a spectacle it was very poor and completely one sided. Hackney seemed to have very little stomach for the action and tailed off at the back many a time. Barrie Evans at no1 and an ex-Mildenhall rider expert was awful and only produced one ride of note and that was when jumping the gate and should have been a re-run.

Certainly wasn't a poor spectacle! Mildenhall simply outrode Hackney, with a mixture of fast gating and clean passing. It is easy to blame Hackney's riders but it is more appropriate to credit the excellent efforts of the Mildenhall team without their Number One.

As for your comments re Barrie Evans, it should be remembered that he has rarely in his time at Mildenhall experienced a track like yesterday, that is a lot different than the blue groove roads he had to ride on in 2009/10. His last two rides showed what he was capable of once dialled into the track.

Plaudits have been given by others but I must also mention Aaron Baseby who was sensational, paid 17 was fully deserved.

For Hackney Ben Morley was very competitive and sadly Shane Hazelden's injury prevented us from seeing this much improved youngster, hopefully he will be back quickly!

Another good crowd, excellent track and a brilliant result!

Oh yes and Uncle Len going ballistic when the first Hackney TR went very wrong :)

Did the new Aussie Heaps have a spin aftert he meeting, if so does he look the dogs swingers, as some have been saying ?

Whilst I respect Len Silver for his attempts to support young british riders in some respects he does them a disservice in that as soon as they encounter a track with any amount of grip they are somewhat lost.They are mostly very good riders but unless their stay at Rye is only a short one they never seem to step on to the next level.Eddie Kennett is the most obvious example,on small slick tracks he can beat anybody on his day but anywhere else and he flounders.

Extended time at Rye did nothing to stop the likes of Kevin Smith, Marvyn Cox from becoming very good riders at International level. You could even argue that starting off in places like Peterborough Workington Berwick Sheffield etc has the same effect where the big track kids simply can't adjust to the many smaller tighter tracks. Put them on a tight slick track and they can't do four laps. But surely if you are the real deal you will become good enough on all tracks. It's a pity there are only one or two other Promoters who give the kids a chance in a similar way to Len Silver.

Extended time at Rye did nothing to stop the likes of Kevin Smith, Marvyn Cox from becoming very good riders at International level. You could even argue that starting off in places like Peterborough Workington Berwick Sheffield etc has the same effect where the big track kids simply can't adjust to the many smaller tighter tracks. Put them on a tight slick track and they can't do four laps. But surely if you are the real deal you will become good enough on all tracks. It's a pity there are only one or two other Promoters who give the kids a chance in a similar way to Len Silver.

Kevin Smith and Marvyn Cox rode for Rye House on the old track, which was slightly more of a normal track, it didnt have the camber, and generally wasnt so smooth and slick as the track is now, although it was sometimes even dustier than nowadays.

I agree that most tracks over the years have had riders who scored heavily at home, but struggled on away tracks.

Any track that is a "bit different" tend to have more one track riders. In the past Exeter ( big track) and Crayford ( small track), used to have a lot of riders like this. Sheffield have also had riders like Scott Smith and Jamie Birkinshaw who were often very good at home, but struggled on most away tracks

At Rye House we have also had Luke Bowen and Tommy Allen in particular, who struggle on any track that is different to Rye House.