British Speedway Forum

Tai tried a roller and messed it up earlier on in the meeting, he then got lucky as the race was stopped and it allowed him then to get a decent gate and win the race, whats to say he would have got through had he gone to the race off.

Tai was already into 2nd place by the time that race was stopped and looked likely to go on to win it. So he would still have finished top scorer and thus no need for a race-off.

Riding on your home track would first of all give you confidence, and he must also know where to line up etc....

How does confidence make your reactions faster than other's ? As to knowing where to line up why do most riders, home and away, examine the gates at the start of the meeting ? I accept that there is advantage in knowing the lines and where and how to pass once a race has started.

How does home advantage help you to out-gate the others, which Tai did in 4 out of 5 rides in the main meeting ? :unsure:

correct set up and knowing the lines to 1st bend. he said as much before picking his gate in the final

How does confidence make your reactions faster than other's ? As to knowing where to line up why do most riders, home and away, examine the gates at the start of the meeting ? I accept that there is advantage in knowing the lines and where and how to pass once a race has started.

you have answered your own question by accepting there is an advantage of knowing the lines

correct set up and knowing the lines to 1st bend. he said as much before picking his gate in the final

you have answered your own question by accepting there is an advantage of knowing the lines

Knowing the lines once the race is in full flow i.e. after the second bend.

Simply put, though, I feel that you demeaning his performance particulary in view of the fact that this was his first meeting back from injury, which was clearly aggravated after landing on the deck three times.

Also if Kennett hadn't had a moment of madness, Woffinden would be British Champion.

Tai was already into 2nd place by the time that race was stopped and looked likely to go on to win it. So he would still have finished top scorer and thus no need for a race-off.

Plus the sky team did say Tai was just taking it easy going into the first bend as he fell earlier!!!! on his shoulder.

Nicholls was a worthy winner,the grand prixs are run on a similar basis.

Simply put, though, I feel that you demeaning his performance particulary in view of the fact that this was his first meeting back from injury, which was clearly aggravated after landing on the deck three times.

Also if Kennett hadn't had a moment of madness, Woffinden would be British Champion.

At last. Someone gets the point. I highlighted three occasions where Tai would have almost certainly been British Champion had it NOT been for these events. (Incidentally I say "would HAVE," not "would OF" as one of my critics kept saying.) The 1st race where he was marginally in front and on his way. The 2nd where he was taken out when in the lead, and the 3rd where Harris (no typos that time) jumped the start.

There is another matter I'd bring up. We now are so used to having this 4/5 races then a semi, then a final. All for TV's benefit. None of which I agree with. If it wasn't for that, Tai Woffinden would, and should have been a worthy and deserving champion due to his immaculate 15 points unbeaten tally.

Like Nichols said the winner of Heat 22 is all that mattered to him on the night,Well Done Scott.

Plus the sky team did say Tai was just taking it easy going into the first bend as he fell earlier!!!! on his shoulder.

Nicholls was a worthy winner,the grand prixs are run on a similar basis.

Nicholls was the winner under the rules, but neccesarily worthy of it.

The GP's are a series of 11 meetings, so bad luck can be evened out over the series. The British Final is a one-off meeting and in my view shouldn't be decided in the same way.

One thing which was very strange last night was the updates were showing the following info BEFORE the final:

1st: GP Wild Card

2nd

3rd: GP reserve

4th: GP reserve

I remember looking at that and thinking, that's saying that Harris will definitely be 2nd in the final!

Don't think you can say who would have won if decided over the 20 qualifying heats - the likes of Harris, Nicholls & Richardson would have been well aware that they needed to score circa 10 points to reach the semi ie 5 second places. They didn't need to try and break a leg or knock somebody off in the qualifying heats, it would have been nice to score a full maximum going into the final, but it wasn't strictly necessary. Just look at Nicholls in the final, he showed far more agression and speed than earlier in the meeting, because he had to and because thats when it mattered.

Disagree that Tai would have won if everybody hadn't crashed in the first running of the final, he made it to the corner at the same time as Kennett and Scott, there is no telling what would have happened.

Also disagree that Tai would necessarily have won if Kennett hadn't been silly - it appeared that Eddie had more speed than Tai in the final (hence he came from behind) and could quite reasonably have beaten him if not for cocking it up.

Also can't see how you can say that Tai would have won if not for Harris jumping the start, agree that it should have been pulled back, but you can't say that Tai would have definitely gated and won the race - who would have thought that harris would lose the lead that he had to Nicholls?

Finally, congratulations to Scott - as Sam Ermolenko once said, you've got to be in it to win it!

At last. Someone gets the point. I highlighted three occasions where Tai would have almost certainly been British Champion had it NOT been for these events. (Incidentally I say "would HAVE," not "would OF" as one of my critics kept saying.) The 1st race where he was marginally in front and on his way. The 2nd where he was taken out when in the lead, and the 3rd where Harris (no typos that time) jumped the start.

There is another matter I'd bring up. We now are so used to having this 4/5 races then a semi, then a final. All for TV's benefit. None of which I agree with. If it wasn't for that, Tai Woffinden would, and should have been a worthy and deserving champion due to his immaculate 15 points unbeaten tally.

Nicholls was the winner under the rules, but neccesarily worthy of it.

The GP's are a series of 11 meetings, so bad luck can be evened out over the series. The British Final is a one-off meeting and in my view shouldn't be decided in the same way.

Everyone knew the rules, one heat is where it matters. British Riders need to get used to these and it is an accepted format of GP Racing.

However, if the point of this thread was Tai is the real winner, or should have been, it could have been strengthened by highlighting previous British Finals where the same happened.

For instance, last year, Scott got 14pts and qualified 1st.

Either way, Tai had a massive home advantage. I am not complaining about it though, but if you are to talk of taking advantages, he had it the entire night!

Everyone knew the rules, one heat is where it matters. British Riders need to get used to these and it is an accepted format of GP Racing.

However, if the point of this thread was Tai is the real winner, or should have been, it could have been strengthened by highlighting previous British Finals where the same happened.

For instance, last year, Scott got 14pts and qualified 1st.

Either way, Tai had a massive home advantage. I am not complaining about it though, but if you are to talk of taking advantages, he had it the entire night!

...as in, he and only he knew that track well. Yeah right.

Don't think you can say who would have won if decided over the 20 qualifying heats - the likes of Harris, Nicholls & Richardson would have been well aware that they needed to score circa 10 points to reach the semi ie 5 second places. They didn't need to try and break a leg or knock somebody off in the qualifying heats, it would have been nice to score a full maximum going into the final, but it wasn't strictly necessary. Just look at Nicholls in the final, he showed far more agression and speed than earlier in the meeting, because he had to and because thats when it mattered.

Disagree that Tai would have won if everybody hadn't crashed in the first running of the final, he made it to the corner at the same time as Kennett and Scott, there is no telling what would have happened.

Also disagree that Tai would necessarily have won if Kennett hadn't been silly - it appeared that Eddie had more speed than Tai in the final (hence he came from behind) and could quite reasonably have beaten him if not for cocking it up.Also can't see how you can say that Tai would have won if not for Harris jumping the start, agree that it should have been pulled back, but you can't say that Tai would have definitely gated and won the race - who would have thought that harris would lose the lead that he had to Nicholls?

Finally, congratulations to Scott - as Sam Ermolenko once said, you've got to be in it to win it!

How is it reasonable to suggest that Kennett would have beaten Tai when he had already lost to him previously in the meeting, was behind him in this heat, and Tai hadn't dropped a point all evening ?

Still haven't got over Tai not signing for the Tigers ? Time to move on I think ! :o

Edited by Beowulf

To be fair, home advantage aside, Tai rode well and you can't detract from that. Have I come onto an anti-Tai forum? :unsure:

Your original point, to which I replied, asked how having home advantage was an advantage. That's what was originally answered.

I'm not demeaning Tai's performance and earlier in the thread said how well he had done especially carrying an injury. So you made that up in your own head.

It wasnt Tai's first meeting back as he rode in a challenge and Test matches this week. Youve got that wrong.

Kennett didnt have a moment of madness,it was a clean pass, but he did a 180.

well done to scott nicholls on his 6th title