British Speedway Forum
Paul

Hackney V Mildenhall Koc

The Hawks this Saturday certainly have the provable mountain to climb if they are to progress into the next round of the KOC after there heavy defeat at Mildenhall last Sunday. But who expected the Tigers to romp to such a large victory on the day, could the Hawks repeat this back at Rye House this Saturday at 7pm?

Have to pick and choose my meetings at Rye this year so with a GP on and very little Chance of a comeback – this one has to be a no-go for me. :drink:

Have to pick and choose my meetings at Rye this year so with a GP on and very little Chance of a comeback – this one has to be a no-go for me. :drink:

Ditto!!

Hopefully Shane is fit for this and we have 7 riders available. I think the team will be better balanced once the averages come in, having our top riders at 2 & 6 is not so good.

I've chosen to work rather than attend this meeting, enough said.

The negativity coming from Rye House for Hackney matches I am finding unbelievable. Everyone has complained about the cost, but it’s the same cost if you see Hackney at Lakeside, with the cost of a programme is a £1 more! They seem to be getting much bigger crowds, certainly where against Dudley and I’m just wondering why? Next season if the crowds carry on like this at both tracks, there wont be a NL team at Rye House, perhaps only at Arena. That would be a crying shame should that happen and would love to know why Arena [and in my oppion at a inferior stadium and track!] seem to attract the crowd but Rye doesn’t, it obviously isn’t the cost!

The negativity coming from Rye House for Hackney matches I am finding unbelievable. Everyone has complained about the cost, but it’s the same cost if you see Hackney at Lakeside, with the cost of a programme is a £1 more! They seem to be getting much bigger crowds, certainly where against Dudley and I’m just wondering why? Next season if the crowds carry on like this at both tracks, there wont be a NL team at Rye House, perhaps only at Arena. That would be a crying shame should that happen and would love to know why Arena [and in my oppion at a inferior stadium and track!] seem to attract the crowd but Rye doesn’t, it obviously isn’t the cost!

There is an air of negativity at Rye House full stop and people are deserting the place in droves. Why would you think they'd come back to watch a NL side that doesn't even bear the name of Rye House?

There is an air of negativity at Rye House full stop and people are deserting the place in droves. Why would you think they'd come back to watch a NL side that doesn't even bear the name of Rye House?

Agree :wink:

Mildenhall with a huge lead are obviously hot favourites to go through and I expect them to do so. Quite honestly Hackney were awful at Mildenhall and never seemed to have the heart to fight. So if this happens on a regular basis I can see why fans give them a miss. But having said that, after visiting Rye House in early season with the Witches team, it is the worst track Ive ever had the misfortune to witness with dangerous ridges and ruts and the terrible car park and paying to go through a barrier going in and OUT. Add to this its the most expensive stadium to enter with very few urinals and a mile long queue for fish and chips. Tell you I wont be paying my hard earned money taking my family again to that outpost :nono::nono:

aljack, i guess its being so cheerful that keeps you going. :lol:

The negativity coming from Rye House for Hackney matches I am finding unbelievable. Everyone has complained about the cost, but it's the same cost if you see Hackney at Lakeside, with the cost of a programme is a £1 more! They seem to be getting much bigger crowds, certainly where against Dudley and I'm just wondering why? Next season if the crowds carry on like this at both tracks, there wont be a NL team at Rye House, perhaps only at Arena. That would be a crying shame should that happen and would love to know why Arena [and in my oppion at a inferior stadium and track!] seem to attract the crowd but Rye doesn't, it obviously isn't the cost!

For some reason Lakeside have a very solid fan base which Rye do not seem to have. Even with under-performing EL team the EL crowds are said to be slightly up again this year, which is a year-on-year increase since Jon Cook and Stuart Douglas took over. Personally I think Rye House is a nice little stadium and I quite enjoy going there occasionally. I find the atmosphere pretty comfortable there but I do think Uncle Len is losing the plot a bit. He is still running meetings as he did 30 or 40 years ago and doesn't recognise that things have moved on. Cook and Douglas seem much more in touch with their fans to me, and do much better than Len with far fewer facilities.

At one time Len was regarded as one of the best track men in the country but it always seems to me at Rye that they always attempt to do the same things to the track irrespective of conditions. Seems to me they need more people on the rakes bringing the dirt back in and more attention to watering and tractor work.

Its a pity because I do like an occasional Sunday afternoon at Rye House but the track prep often lets it down. With more care on the track and a better overall presentation it could be a really nice place to go and I would go there more often.

I think a lot of fans are too fickle about the team being called Hackney and not Rye House. If it enables speedway to survive and brings youngsters through , whats the problem ?

Edited by Custer Mouse

after visiting Rye House in early season with the Witches team, it is the worst track Ive ever had the misfortune to witness with dangerous ridges and ruts and the terrible car park and paying to go through a barrier going in and OUT. Add to this its the most expensive stadium to enter with very few urinals and a mile long queue for fish and chips. Tell you I wont be paying my hard earned money taking my family again to that outpost :nono::nono:

The barrier has nothing to do with Rye House Speedway as I belive it's a private road owned by one of the water companies. It can easily be bypassed by carrying on down the A414 and driving through Hoddesdon, adding a few minutes to your journey

Not sure what your beef is with the car park, seems ok to me and I've been parking there since 1985. At least it's free, unlike some places. Armadale & Glasgow charge £2 for the privelege.

The track I admit isn't the best, but I haven't heard any riders complain about bumps and ridges. It's one of the smoothest tracks in the league, which is what most away fans seems to be complaining about. You may be refering to the adverse camber on the first and second bends. That is something that Rye fans have been puzzled about for ages. I had it explained to me by Mark the track man last week but I can't remember exactly what he said!!

He is still running meetings as he did 30 or 40 years ago and doesn't recognise that things have moved on. Cook and Douglas seem much more in touch with their fans to me, and do much better than Len with far fewer facilities.

You are pretty much spot on there.

Edited by Shadders

What goes around, comes around. Uncle Lennie's way of presenting will make a comeback one day. Sad that many of us wont be around to see it.

Any news on the Hackney 1-7? Is Shane Hazelden fit to take his place at No1?