British Speedway Forum

The O2 BV or Hampden park, some of you really need checking out, your having a real larf.

As for Wembley that will never happen.

It has to stay at Cardiff . Apart from the obvious black marks against the Millennium Stadium , over-officious stewards and £4 a pint , Cardiff is still the perfect place to spend the day after the PL Pairs .

True the speedway itself is tame when compared to the Pairs , but it would be unfair on the Somerset trackstaff to have to prepare their wonderful track twice in two days . Cardiff is only an hour down the road and a convenient substitute .

It has to stay at Cardiff . Apart from the obvious black marks against the Millennium Stadium , over-officious stewards and £4 a pint , Cardiff is still the perfect place to spend the day after the PL Pairs .

True the speedway itself is tame when compared to the Pairs , but it would be unfair on the Somerset trackstaff to have to prepare their wonderful track twice in two days . Cardiff is only an hour down the road and a convenient substitute .

still never been to somerset,i take it from your post that you would highly recommend it?

couldn't make the pairs last week,was actually going 3 weeks ago to see a meeting but the

british weather won.

still never been to somerset,i take it from your post that you would highly recommend it?

couldn't make the pairs last week,was actually going 3 weeks ago to see a meeting but the

british weather won.

5 years the Pairs has now been at Somerset , and no matter what the British weather throws at it - it has never disappointed . It's a far superior meeting entertainment wise than the British GP .

5 years the Pairs has now been at Somerset , and no matter what the British weather throws at it - it has never disappointed . It's a far superior meeting entertainment wise than the British GP .

see if i can go next year then,its like you say,cardiff is about the atmosphere as much as anything,even

though we don't go till the saturday morning its a great day out.

see if i can go next year then,its like you say,cardiff is about the atmosphere as much as anything,even

though we don't go till the saturday morning its a great day out.

Cardiff is all about the atmosphere , which is brilliant from early morning till late at night . The whole weekend is the highlight of any speedway fan's year .

The Pairs at Somerset is fantastic , the next day you have the Cardiff experience ( if only it had a proper speedway track ) , and then if only Newport could run a league match instead of that god-awful Welsh Open - the weekend would be perfect .

I know they did not announce the date on last nights TV coverage as they usually do but:

- Can't imagine it would be Wembley due to Olympics,

- No city etc within walking distance of Belle Vue

- Never been to Glasgow so can't comment. I know it would be nice for Scottish fans but many of them come down for pairs meeting night before anyway.

To me it seems crazy to move from Cardiff as there is plenty of accomodation, stuff to do etc.

Folks can have a whole weekend of Speedway if they wish at Cardiff, Premier League Pairs at Somerset and Welsh Open at Newport before and after!

Come on everyone, use your senses and strike a deal to keep it at Cardiff PLEASE!!!!!!

see if i can go next year then,its like you say,cardiff is about the atmosphere as much as anything

You've hit the nail on the head there. The problem we have in this country is that we are starved of atmosphere when it comes to our league speedway. This a picture I took at an Ekstraliga meeting last year and I can assure you that the atmosphere was every bit as electric as that at Cardiff.

15082010373.jpg

I think the only reason that we put Cardiff on such a pedestal in this country is because it's the best we currently have by a long way. I don't think it necessarily follows that if the GP is moved to a purpose built outdoor stadium with only half as many seats that the event will be any less spectacular. Although my preference would be to retain Cardiff and have a 2nd GP in Manchester.

You've hit the nail on the head there. The problem we have in this country is that we are starved of atmosphere when it comes to our league speedway. This a picture I took at an Ekstraliga meeting last year and I can assure you that the atmosphere was every bit as electric as that at Cardiff.

15082010373.jpg

I think the only reason that we put Cardiff on such a pedestal in this country is because it's the best we currently have by a long way. I don't think it necessarily follows that if the GP is moved to a purpose built outdoor stadium with only half as many seats that the event will be any less spectacular. Although my preference would be to retain Cardiff and have a 2nd GP in Manchester.

thats the way i see it,it certainly would be a big gamble to replace the 'jewel in the crown' gp with

one potentially inferior. lets be honest,they have three in poland,why not give britain another gp?

lets be honest,they have three in poland,why not give britain another gp?

I think the blunt answer is that none of our current speedway stadiums are good enough. Not when compared to those in Poland. However, with the National Stadium that's going to change and we'd actually be in a position to make a good case for a 2nd GP.

I think the blunt answer is that none of our current speedway stadiums are good enough. Not when compared to those in Poland. However, with the National Stadium that's going to change and we'd actually be in a position to make a good case for a 2nd GP.

thats what i meant,maybe not now,but in 2 or 3 years time.

the point i was trying to make was that as other countries have 2 or more gps then in theory

there is no reason not to give britain another round so long as the facilities are there.

one other question though - with other countries being mentioned for possible gp locations

will the series expand in terms of number of gps or will the current 11 stay roughly the same?

will the series expand in terms of number of gps or will the current 11 stay roughly the same?

I believe that the only reason that Poland currently has so many GPs is because no other country can be found to host them. So in the short term I wouldn't see the number of rounds increasing dramatically even if new venues outside of Poland are found. In the long term I also couldn't see the number of rounds increasing too dramatically due to the league commitments that the GP riders have.

Let's hope this new Manchester stadium is all we hope it will be . Then we could retain Cardiff as the showpiece event , and have a 2nd GP in Manchester with proper speedway racing on a Hyde Road type track .

For you to at least make eye contact as you walk past me :P

To be fair to Ben, unless you were standing on a box it would be difficult to make any sort of eye contact with you! :P

Let's hope this new Manchester stadium is all we hope it will be . Then we could retain Cardiff as the showpiece event , and have a 2nd GP in Manchester with proper speedway racing on a Hyde Road type track .

From what I've seen in the artists impression the new Manchester track will be more of a Leicester/Newcastle shape than Hyde Road which for what I've seen in photos was more like the Sheffield/Peterborough in shape although slightly longer I'd imagine

Edited by Shadders