British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ben Alderton

Speedway World Cup Team Line Ups

Just to clarify, when the Drymls first came to the UK they were riding at Oxford. Our captain the loveable Johno (whom Tai has spent a lot of time with)christened them the Dryml sisters and this has stuck as both the team and fans referred to them by this, it was not in malace but typically Johno! :rolleyes:

Ah right I didnt know that. To be honest I dont follow speedway that much, watch main events and being from kings lynn I follow there results. Been to last 2 world cup meetings and the elite pairs, so I am not that knowledgeable about other things. Just thought I would mention what happened as no one else has and sky didnt show it. Love coming on here though to see the reaction of people there and not there. Very entertaining.

Then you have probably missed some of the best speedway in the history of the sport as the race-off, more often than not has produced the best racing.

Erm, I was talking about this year. I watched a few heats last night, and it was match races between two riders. Switched it off for final 7 heats. Don't get me wrong, match racing can be good. I used to like the Golden Helmet ;) Same will happen on Thursday. I could see Russians challenging Brits for 3rd. If you think the race off on Thursday will provide the best speedway in the history of the sport then you need to watch more speedway.

Its not unfair to say the first round has the worst racing. Poland vs Czech Rep and Denmark vs Germany is never likely to throw up any good races. Yet the Brits and Russians can get in the way a bit Thursday - well, if they gate that is - Oh, I see the problem now :D

Ah right I didnt know that. To be honest I dont follow speedway that much, watch main events and being from kings lynn I follow there results. Been to last 2 world cup meetings and the elite pairs, so I am not that knowledgeable about other things. Just thought I would mention what happened as no one else has and sky didnt show it. Love coming on here though to see the reaction of people there and not there. Very entertaining.

No problem, just wanted to say there are a few riders that no them as the sisters and Ales and Lukas both are aware of this and its origin. It was well known at Oxford, and Johno has certainly referred to them as the sisters in commentary on Sky before this meeting, and Julia Bradbury asked the boys about it in an interview when she did the channel 4 program (shows how long ago that was!).

So Tai's comment may have not been meant the way some on here have taken it!

Edited by Debbi

Tai has previous for this behaviour in interviews though . In a televised PL meeting at Edinburgh , while guesting for Workington , he claimed a Monarchs rider had " rode like a girl " after the ref had excluded Tai for causing the Monarchs rider to come off .

While that was pretty amusing , calling fellow riders girls , or women or sisters etc isn't really the most clever thing you can do and it shows a lack of respect for the opposition riders .

Just to clarify, when the Drymls first came to the UK they were riding at Oxford. Our captain the loveable Johno (whom Tai has spent a lot of time with)christened them the Dryml sisters and this has stuck as both the team and fans referred to them by this, it was not in malace but typically Johno! :rolleyes:

Yes, and I have also known Johno to refer to himself and and Andreas Jonsson as the "Johnson Sisters" (or was it the "Jonsson Sisters") when they were in the same race, so it was typical Johno, able to make jokes about himself as well as others.

When we, the fans, see these TV interviews we need to remember that they are speedway riders not TV announcers so they are likely to say things in the heat of the moment that they would probably choose to express more moderately if they had time to cool down and think about it. TV soundbites often make a riders attitude seem worse than it really is but we always have the usual suspects on here ready to pounce and condemn, which doesn't help.

All the Sky team thought the track was in great order as did Mark Loram, my question therefore is,apart from Bombers races, why did such a good track produce such boring and processional racing?

my question therefore is,apart from Bombers races, why did such a good track produce such boring and processional racing?

Because once a better rider gets his nose in front an inferior rider will struggle to pass them no matter how good the track is.

Because once a better rider gets his nose in front an inferior rider will struggle to pass them no matter how good the track is.

Harris beat Gollob

Hampel beat Harris-I know some will say Hampel is better,and they may well be right but Hampel has never been the best to pass riders,so if he can do it im sure a lot of other riders were more then capable but it just never happened

Spot on!

Glad to see that the rule i mentioned days ago will be applied and Sayfutdinov won't ride. Although, as with the trio last night, what an absolute stinker of a shame. Last night's meeting would so have been enhanced by their appearance. Additionally, Emil is a sad exclusion from the race-off meeting too.

We shall wait and see if that is the case.

The Russian media seem to be reporting that Emil, Grigory, Artem, Roman and Renat is still a possibility for Thursday after the intervention of the boss-man of the Russian Federation, Alexander Lunkin.