British Speedway Forum
lucy15

Idiots On 3rd Bend Lower Tier Cardiff

Much, but not all, of the trouble at events like this is caused by alcohol. Surely the answer is simple, do not sell alcohol within the Stadium and refuse entry to anyone who is drunk. Laws relating to smoking are rigorously enforced because of the "dangers" of passive smoking but the laws regarding alcohol, a far more widespread menace, are largely ignored. There are those who will say to smokers that they should be able to get through a few hours without smoking, the same applies to drinking.

Good idea in theory but i would imagine 99% of the alcohol consumed in cardiff on GP day is purchased outside the venue before hand? the damage has already been done so to speak.

Good idea in theory but i would imagine 99% of the alcohol consumed in cardiff on GP day is purchased outside the venue before hand? the damage has already been done so to speak.

Then the staff at the gate should refuse entry. It will cause problems at first but once the word gets around that entry is being refused, problem solved. I don't think that the law regarding being drunk in a public place has been repealed and should be strictly enforced. If speedway wants to keep its "family" image, there can be no place for the drunks.

refuse entry to anyone who is drunk

ETFC1881 would never see a GP again! :lol:

Point taken,but I must any trouble usually involes Poles,it annoyed me when a group in front of me all stood up at the end some races and we missed a couple of close finishes,its not quite the same watching it afterwards on tbe big screen

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying tar them with the same brush ,but.there seem to be quite a few idiots,usually pi$$ed up with little regard to other people

I havnt seen them getting all rowdy in town on the Friday/Saturday night though,,I wonder why??

I still believe that it is. The vast majority of people who attend meetings know how to behave themselves. If you happen to come across someone who doesn't I'd say you've just been unlucky. I certainly wouldn't say it would be representitive of the majority of peoples experiences of the event.

Agree jellyman, not my personal experience though, unfortunately as you know it just takes one or two idiots.

Agree jellyman, not my personal experience though, unfortunately as you know it just takes one or two idiots.

That's true. I suppose you could try and eliminate the idiot factor completely by introducing measures such as blanket alcohol bans. However, this would have far more of an impact on the majority of drinkers who just enjoy having a couple of pints whilst watching the event. It's all about finding a balance really.

That's true. I suppose you could try and eliminate the idiot factor completely by introducing measures such as blanket alcohol bans. However, this would have far more of an impact on the majority of drinkers who just enjoy having a couple of pints whilst watching the event. It's all about finding a balance really.

The same applies to those who enjoy a cigarette while watching.

What really annoys me, and it happens year after year, is suddenly finding your feet are in a puddle of beer spilt by people sitting behind.

Maybe we should have a ban on idiots too? Some people don't need a drink to be an idiot.

About 45,000 went into the stadium, how many had been drinking? How many caused trouble?

Maybe we should ban speedway fans, after all, some of them kicked off, so lets ban them all...... :rolleyes:

What really annoys me, and it happens year after year, is suddenly finding your feet are in a puddle of beer spilt by people sitting behind.

Look on the bright side and be thankful of it just being a puddle of beer.

Maybe I've been to too many football matches.

In Scotland it is actually an offence to be drunk inside a sports stadium

Wrong, I think you'll find it's an offence not to be drunk. Especially if watching their "football" team. ;)

Well we had a Polish couple sat behind us. They got into the stadium nice and early, politely asked me to let them through to put their flag over the edge of the tier and went back to their seats to enjoy the meeting.

About 10 minutes before the meeting started a seemingly innocent father came in and sat next to us with his wife and daughter. He then decided to put his Cornish flag over the top of the polish one, covering it up.

The Polish guy came over and, again quite politely, asked him to move the flag. The English man then began shouting at the polish guy about how he's paid for the privilege of front row seats (which are the same price) and his flag should be allowed to stay. He then started saying how his flag deserved to be there more, simply because it's 'the Cornish flag mate'. No other reason, just that. He then proceeded to rip the polish flag from the banister.

So I was quite pleased when the polish girl came over and whacked him :lol:

People can moan all they like about the Poles but when the British fans behave like that we can hardly blame them for getting a but carried away sometimes!

Nothing like making visitors to our country feel welcome. Every time I read this I wish I was the girl who smacked him one. Hope not only his pride was hurt after being whacked by a girl.

What a twa*!

Wrong, I think you'll find it's an offence not to be drunk. Especially if watching their "football" team. ;)

it's not mandatory but helps to numb the pain

In Bydgoszcz (can't speak for other polish venues), alcohol is sold in the stadium but must be consumed within the bar area, much like our football grounds in UK. Whilst it wouldn't eliminate the problem of drunkeness at Cardiff, it would certainly make a difference.

In Bydgoszcz (can't speak for other polish venues), alcohol is sold in the stadium but must be consumed within the bar area, much like our football grounds in UK. Whilst it wouldn't eliminate the problem of drunkeness at Cardiff, it would certainly make a difference.

Certainly would make a difference Wade...peeps get pissed off when these tanked-up fans keep walking up and down the aisles carrying cartons of drink from the bars, occasionally spilling it over people. The missus and me only had one drink each in one of the pubs before we went in, but there is no control on the alcohol once inside, and the steward/police presence was almost non-existent to weed out the drunks. When I was a steward at Swindon Town we never had any problems with fans from Millwall, Leeds, Cardiff, Charlton, Bristol Rovers etc.,(although the Oxford mob dont need a drink to start a riot!!!). Inside the ground they are very closely monitored by CCTV, police, and stewards. I dont think it would have kicked-off at Cardiff if the fans had been sober, there were more police and stewards, and Gollob hadn't done so badly. :unsure:

The stewards/police were probably shocked that there was trouble at a speedway G.P :shock:

Edited by keef

Hope this 'minority' who seem intent on ruining other peoples enjoyment do not get all fans in Cardiff "tarred with the same brush" and put in the same treatment bracket as Football "fans"...we need to keep our Family Friendly Image!!

TRUE, FAITHFUL and SENSIBLE Speedway fans..who only want to enjoy a good meeting are the majority....even though even some of those seem to have to spend most of their time in the pub!!and stress to the rest of us that we should be in the pub too!

People with kids and/or ones who don't wish to be well oiled going into the stadium seem to be getting fewer and far between. :rolleyes: