British Speedway Forum

I cant believe an untrained guy , who knows speedway , cant tell if the gates go up level (unless he needs to go to specsavers) .Most of the refs these days seem to be idiots , i'd prefer the marshall to make more sensible decisions than the majority of refs anyday. Look at the Bomber /Holder race at the previous GP , the ref saw the gates had malfunctioned and did sweet FA ' The marshall , could of course wear a trendy pair of safety glasses

Cant agree. If you're sitting in line, over the top, of the tapes you cant always see if one side goes up a fraction before the other. We are talking fractions but at this level it means plenty

Cant agree. If you're sitting in line, over the top, of the tapes you cant always see if one side goes up a fraction before the other. We are talking fractions but at this level it means plenty

I was referring to the starting marshall keeping an eye on the tapes :rolleyes:

NOT a sensible idea at all. As likely as not the starting marshal would be blinded by dirt coming off the track but are you really suggesting that he should have the power to initiate a restart rather than the referee? That would be placing a huge onus on an untrained guy who may or may not get it right. Far too risky and unprofessional.

This subject is actually being discussed at the highest level right now. My own suggestion is that the referee has immediate access at the end of each race, should he request it, to replays of the head on TV camera, which has the best view in the stadium. The powers-that-be are looking into ways of having a separate TV monitor in the referee's box that could have that view available even before the end of the race. If the referee was in any doubt he could look at the replay or even a static picture within seconds and before announcing the result of the race.

The technology is there so let's use it.

They wouldn't be untrained if they all had training.

And I did say they would not be behind the bikes as that would be dangerous. They simply move to the inner kerb.

Often replays aren't available. A monitor would work but training start matshals (if that's even necessary) is far cheaper.

We have amateurs timing races and handing out false track records so I don't see a problem with a start marshal calling a false start.

A sensor costs next to nothing to install, I would guess. Shops have them in the doors going "ding-dong", and they could go ding-didly-dong in the ref booth aswell with an uneven start.

NOT a sensible idea at all. As likely as not the starting marshal would be blinded by dirt coming off the track but are you really suggesting that he should have the power to initiate a restart rather than the referee? That would be placing a huge onus on an untrained guy who may or may not get it right. Far too risky and unprofessional.

This subject is actually being discussed at the highest level right now. My own suggestion is that the referee has immediate access at the end of each race, should he request it, to replays of the head on TV camera, which has the best view in the stadium. The powers-that-be are looking into ways of having a separate TV monitor in the referee's box that could have that view available even before the end of the race. If the referee was in any doubt he could look at the replay or even a static picture within seconds and before announcing the result of the race.

The technology is there so let's use it.

The refereeing this year I feel has been bloody appalling at all levels of the sport.The powers that be need to TRAIN ALL referees to the same standard,By the same man .Tony Steele.Ageism has hit Mr Steele as though he was employed by the B.B.C.he is still the best man in the speedway world for the job ,employ him to train new refs in the speedway world.If any ref should be got rid of it is Jim Lawrence.He has been making MEGA,MEGA cockups for many years and is still getting away with it ,as witnessed in the SWC.He should not be allowed to ref. amateur matches in my opinion

If the ref had had the sense to look at the monitor I am lead to believe Sky provide then I feel commmon sense would prevail,BUT this is the speedway hierarchy!!!

If the ref had had the sense to look at the monitor I am lead to believe Sky provide then I feel commmon sense would prevail,BUT this is the speedway hierarchy!!!

I've been saying for years that strategically placed cameras on bends 2 and 3 within a closed circuit television system, would help refs get a view of those blind spots for a low price tag

the same system could be applied facing the tapes....... the ref would have his own digital footage, able to be 'rewound' and played back at his leisure

How difficult can it be to have someone watching a head on shot of the tapes going up. Like the ref he would have a red light button to stop the race.

How difficult can it be to have someone watching a head on shot of the tapes going up. Like the ref he would have a red light button to stop the race.

Not difficult at all but this is speedway.

Fantastic meeting at Malilla.

Just got back yesterday from a 10-day Travel Plus tour, also incorporating the GP challenge and 5 other meetings. Wonderful relaxing time in Vastervik (although I ended up with a bit of a hangover after staying out until 3am the final night :drink: ) and the weather was kind, allowing us to get all 7 meetings in.

All the best

Rob