British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
21st century heathen

Royno Returns

As far as the NL being a training ground for young riders - I agree partially, but to make it worthwhile for fans to part with their money, you just HAVE to make it a good competition. There is no place even in the NL for an unprofessional approach, and the supporters will always want a team to support who can do the best they can. Poor racing in NL + not giving the fans what they want = no NL.

Dead right and its a point that some people forget or try to brush aside.

Its all very well stating that the NL is a training ground (which to s significant degree it is) but the stand alone clubs in particular are still businesses that rely on gate and sponsorship income to make ends meet. That means they have to have a competitive, attractive team to pull in the punters.

No punters, no NL.

What you need is a balance between the development of young riders and the survival of teams and I think the NL have just about got it right.

Surely it was a case of 2 of Armstrong, Newman and Roynon. Who the hell would pick Armstrong ahead of the other 2? :unsure:

That's not as nailed on as you think. According to the Dudley website,Armstrong's NL average is about .25 of a point below Newman's, he's the kind of experienced, knowledgable, unselfish senior rider that most NL clubs need, he's a club asset, he doesn't ride for other teams so he is always going to be available and there is the small matter of loyalty to the club captain and permanent team member.

A decision to dump Armstrong and keep Newman in particular could well back fire in seasons to come and, forced to make the choice, I'd have kept Armstrong over either of them.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

.....he's the kind of experienced, knowledgable, unselfish senior rider that most NL clubs need, he's a club asset, he doesn't ride for other teams so he is always going to be available and there is the small matter of loyalty to the club captain and permanent team member.

This is what I was going to say, but it's a lot better put :t:

I think it is possible to underestimate the effect of removing the Club Captain and a vastly influential presence on the performance of the other, particularly less experienced members of the team.

Totally agree that looking long term, we have done the right thing if it meant we could only have used 2 of these 3. AND, what people must take into consideration, was that Kyle said right from the beginning, and repeated several times over, that he would NOT take a team place once Adam was back. I suppose that's the kind of honourable bloke he is. Loved having him in Heathens colours this year. Hes a fantastic rider with a big future, and a genuinely "nice bloke".

I am sure that our future results would have been better if we could have "jiggled things round", but remember also that this season has not got long to run - we should have one eye on next year. Talking of which, theres one rider in particular I'd be keeping an eye on for next year. With his current average he would be a real bargain. Have a look through the averages and see if you can find him!!

'Ommer 'Um

That's not as nailed on as you think. According to the Dudley website,Armstrong's NL average is about .25 of a point below Newman's, he's the kind of experienced, knowledgable, unselfish senior rider that most NL clubs need, he's a club asset, he doesn't ride for other teams so he is always going to be available and there is the small matter of loyalty to the club captain and permanent team member.

Newmans average has nothing to do with it. Armstrong would have been replaced by Roynon.

Newmans average has nothing to do with it. Armstrong would have been replaced by Roynon.

That still means keeping Newman in and leaving Armstrong out - and there's scarcely any difference between the two in scoring.

Its unlikely that either Newman (who is actually injured at the moment) or Roynon will be riding in the NL next season while Armstrong almost certainly will be.

Aside from the reasons I have already given, I really don't understand why you would alienate one of your top men (and one of the top men in the NL) for the sake of at most 2 and a bit months speedway.

Taking everything into account and accepting that you can only have two out of the three, its the right decision.

Just catching up so here goes:

Jon and Ashley are now both Wolverhampton assets.

As already pointed out, but not yet acknowledged by you, Jon is a Dudley asset. Likewise Tom Perry. Ashley is a Wolverhampton asset.

Also note, Danny Stoneman was on loan, but has been replaced by Adam Portwood who will also become a Heathens asset if things work out.

I also sense you have lost sight of the fact that this is the British National Development League. Like it or not its purpose is to develop riders for the Premier and Elite Leagues.

The progress over the last two seasons of young Brits Ashley Morris, Tom Perry, Richard Franklin, Darryl Ritchings, plus Adam Roynon and Lee Smart would seem to make a mockery of your argument. The National League does develop riders for the higher leagues and Dudley have played a huge part in that already. It is also a competition in which every club competing would like to win.

I will say here and now, Dudley have won all that they will win this season with the Team that they currently have...

Better not mention now being National League Four Team Tournament Champions then!

Comical from Pearson, "We could have kept Newman and bought back Roynon to replace someone else, but thats a win at all costs attitude" :blink:

Whats the point of taking part then and the Dudley fans can't be happy that the promotion aren't bothered about winning. Perhaps now they know they aren't bothered about winning they won't bother turning up for the rest of the season.

Pathetic attitude.

I think the difference should be noted between wanting to win, which the club clearly do, and wanting to win at all costs. When releasing Luke Chessell as part of the move to bring in Kyle Newman, the club were criticised for the 'win at all costs' attitude. Now by bringing Roynon back in place of Newman instead of Armo or Ash, the club are criticised for not wanting to win or put out the strongest side. Damned if you do and damned if you don't!

He's [Armstrong] the kind of experienced, knowledgable, unselfish senior rider that most NL clubs need, he's a club asset, he doesn't ride for other teams so he is always going to be available and there is the small matter of loyalty to the club captain and permanent team member.

A decision to dump Armstrong and keep Newman in particular could well back fire in seasons to come and, forced to make the choice, I'd have kept Armstrong over either of them.

And so to the point in question and I agree entirely with HalifaxTiger here.

To be the clear the choice is as follows. Roynon is fit again, so Dudley can:

a) not bring him back at all

B) Replace Newman (as agreed in the first place between rider and club)

c) Replace Ashley Morris

d) Replace Jon Armstrong

I am amazed by the opinion that we should do anything here other than bring Roynon back in place of Newman. Kyle has been absolutely brilliant on and off track for Dudley, and made a great impression. There is a nice thread of messages offering some sincere thanks on the Cradley Fans Forum for him. But he was always a temporary replacement for Adam. The lack of loyalty to drop either Armo or Ash would have been incredulous.

Just catching up so here goes:

As already pointed out, but not yet acknowledged by you, Jon is a Dudley asset. Likewise Tom Perry. Ashley is a Wolverhampton asset.

Also note, Danny Stoneman was on loan, but has been replaced by Adam Portwood who will also become a Heathens asset if things work out.

The progress over the last two seasons of young Brits Ashley Morris, Tom Perry, Richard Franklin, Darryl Ritchings, plus Adam Roynon and Lee Smart would seem to make a mockery of your argument. The National League does develop riders for the higher leagues and Dudley have played a huge part in that already. It is also a competition in which every club competing would like to win.

Better not mention now being National League Four Team Tournament Champions then!

I think the difference should be noted between wanting to win, which the club clearly do, and wanting to win at all costs. When releasing Luke Chessell as part of the move to bring in Kyle Newman, the club were criticised for the 'win at all costs' attitude. Now by bringing Roynon back in place of Newman instead of Armo or Ash, the club are criticised for not wanting to win or put out the strongest side. Damned if you do and damned if you don't!

And so to the point in question and I agree entirely with HalifaxTiger here.

To be the clear the choice is as follows. Roynon is fit again, so Dudley can:

a) not bring him back at all

B) Replace Newman (as agreed in the first place between rider and club)

c) Replace Ashley Morris

d) Replace Jon Armstrong

I am amazed by the opinion that we should do anything here other than bring Roynon back in place of Newman. Kyle has been absolutely brilliant on and off track for Dudley, and made a great impression. There is a nice thread of messages offering some sincere thanks on the Cradley Fans Forum for him. But he was always a temporary replacement for Adam. The lack of loyalty to drop either Armo or Ash would have been incredulous.

Why have you extracted my posts that were not in reply to you. Out of order. Firstly I take it you have seen the Dudley asset list. If so please show me.

Means nothing. Show me the Dudley asset list.

i,m sorry i dont have it..only the press release given to the public....butif you want to show us the wolves asset list please do :blink:

i,m sorry i dont have it..only the press release given to the public....butif you want to show us the wolves asset list please do :blink:

Keep believing what you read then.

Keep believing what you read then.

Why wouldn't Dudley have any assets???? What exactly are you trying to say. If the Dudley management say we have 2 assets then thats good enough for me, not that we would ever have any problems fiding rider's. Many rider's were requesting an interest to ride for Dudley last season. I mean must be great to have thousands of fans behind you every home meeting.

Why have you extracted my posts that were not in reply to you. Out of order. Firstly I take it you have seen the Dudley asset list. If so please show me.

Er - you're not being serious????? As it was you that made the initial claim that Dudley had NO assets (contrary to the statements that the club have made) perhaps it should be you that comes up with the proof to back up your claims.

Secondly, how is replying to a posting that wasnt made to you out of order on a PUBLIC forum? I think that te word forum means a place for "open" discussion.

Edited by villiers210

Er - you're not being serious????? As it was you that made the initial claim that Dudley had NO assets (contrary to the statements that the club have made) perhaps it should be you that comes up with the proof to back up your claims.

Secondly, how is replying to a posting that wasnt made to you out of order on a PUBLIC forum? I think that te word forum means a place for "open" discussion.

Read the posts carefully before you jump in. The extracted post was in reply to 21century. It actually supported Dudleys team change and suggested that it was he who was losing sight of the role of the National Development League. For Heathens79 to quote my reply is out of context.

Also well done to the Heathens for winning the National League Fours. Best Team on the night.

Edited by roguetrader