British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
21st century heathen

Danny Stoneman Returns To The Heathens

As reported on the BSPA website today. This is great news in my opinion. With the greatest respect to Adam Portwood he simply isn't good enough to compete at NL level yet. He rides the bike okay, but simply isn't fast enough to get anywhere near scoring a genuine point. He's a couple of bike lengths down from the second the tapes rise. Danny was getting better with pretty much every lap and although not a 'wonderkid' he's competitive and will score us a few points. He's the kind of rider that deserves a genuine chance as a NL reserve as he's in the mix and showing signs of improvement. I hope Adam can keep coming along to our meetings and will listen, watch, learn and then put it into practice after meetings whenever and where ever he can. Maybe some time in the not-too-distant future there could be a chance for him to link up with the Heathens again.

Best wishes to both Danny and Adam. :)

As reported on the BSPA website today. This is great news in my opinion. With the greatest respect to Adam Portwood he simply isn't good enough to compete at NL level yet. He rides the bike okay, but simply isn't fast enough to get anywhere near scoring a genuine point. He's a couple of bike lengths down from the second the tapes rise. Danny was getting better with pretty much every lap and although not a 'wonderkid' he's competitive and will score us a few points. He's the kind of rider that deserves a genuine chance as a NL reserve as he's in the mix and showing signs of improvement. I hope Adam can keep coming along to our meetings and will listen, watch, learn and then put it into practice after meetings whenever and where ever he can. Maybe some time in the not-too-distant future there could be a chance for him to link up with the Heathens again.

Best wishes to both Danny and Adam. :)

I agree in full.

Can I throw out an idea?

Why not put Richie, Danny & Adam plus Cameron ?????( No 18 at the'Ommer) as a Dudley "Young Heathens/United" team in Challenge matches against 4 man teams after the meeting like they do at Leicester, Sheffield, Scunthorpe & Buxton? Sorry if I have missed anyone out.

This is a way of getting youngsters to be future Heathens I would have thought plus more races at monmore Wood! We did this years ago and local lad Dave Perks, to name but one, hit the big time!

I agree in full.

Can I throw out an idea?

Why not put Richie, Danny & Adam plus Cameron ?????( No 18 at the'Ommer) as a Dudley "Young Heathens/United" team in Challenge matches against 4 man teams after the meeting like they do at Leicester, Sheffield, Scunthorpe & Buxton? Sorry if I have missed anyone out.

This is a way of getting youngsters to be future Heathens I would have thought plus more races at monmore Wood! We did this years ago and local lad Dave Perks, to name but one, hit the big time!

That`s a sensible idea,which is why it won`t happen.

Bring back the Huns vs The Tartars I say :lol:

That`s a sensible idea,which is why it won`t happen.

Bring back the Huns vs The Tartars I say :lol:

I could't remember what we called them on the training nights way back.

Had you use to go? I stood with Dave Perks & Gerry Smithermans' families by the starting gate! :cheers:

Edited by berniev123

I could't remember what we called them on the training nights way back.

Had you use to go? I stood with Dave Perks & Gerry Smithermans' families by the starting gate! :cheers:

It was a bargain for 10p...and good crowds too.I still had a few of the programmes until recently,but they appear to have vanished

I suggested a while ago that second half four-man teams consisting of the NL team's lowest averaging second-string, reserve pairing and the number 8 (or A.N. Other) would give valuable extra laps to lesser riders in the league. This would be especially helpful to reserves that might only get the mandatory three heats and the number 8's who might never, or very rarely, get a ride (such as Ritchings last season). It certainly isn't going to cost the clubs a great deal. It would give extra racing experience, rather than just laps of practice after meetings, but at a level that they can be more competitive at.

It would be fantastic if the Heathens could lead the way with this. With our large crowds the club certainly can't claim they're on the bread line compared to other NL clubs. We should schedule a proper second half after the BV meeting featuring Ritchings as the number one along with Franklin, Stoneman and Portwood. We should invite/encourage/force(:P) BV to track Mason, Richardson, Widman and No. 8 (?) as opposition. Surely it can only be a benefit to the riders, clubs and fans but any thoughts welcomed?

It would be fantastic if the Heathens could lead the way with this. With our large crowds the club certainly can't claim they're on the bread line compared to other NL clubs. We should schedule a proper second half after the BV meeting featuring Ritchings as the number one along with Franklin, Stoneman and Portwood. We should invite/encourage/force(:P) BV to track Mason, Richardson, Widman and No. 8 (?) as opposition. Surely it can only be a benefit to the riders, clubs and fans but any thoughts welcomed?

Wow this is an all out offensive for 2nd half racing.

Richardson, Johnson, Blackbird, Hill, Chessell, Hopewood to name a few have all ridden 2nd halves in the ML this year. Aswell as your very own Portwood.

The lads put themselves under a lot of pressure in the NL, rightly so, I think the key is the lads can enjoy the riding and not feel under pressure and prove to themselves more than anybody else what they can do. Some may say it's expensive for the riders but if it leads to addtional performance and more points money then it is an investment in my opinion.

The support that lads are getting from the crowds is great aswell. The ones I have attended have had many supporters stay behind to support them and I am sure the lads are greatful for that. Really pleased for Danny Stoneman Just a word about Adam . He was picked up by Mildenhall and dropped then picked up by Dudley and dropped is this a good idea will his confidence be taking a knocking Ummmmm I wonder.

Edited by TMW

I can only thank speedibee for the pm they sent me as I do not know how to return the favour.

If what you say is correct, and I do not doubt it, perhaps Nigel & co (Ladbrookes included) have made a mistake as I and many others would have been very happy to see the Vikings at Monmore Wood. Perhaps next year would be possible as Tamworth is a lot closer to Monmore Wood than Sheffield will ever be! :cheers:

Edited by berniev123

Wow this is an all out offensive for 2nd half racing.

Absolutely. The like of Morris, Perry, Newman (though sadly not with us now) and Roynon are all getting extra track time one way or another. Extra track time for Ritchings, Franklin, Stoneman and Portwood can only be a benefit. :)

Absolutely. The like of Morris, Perry, Newman (though sadly not with us now) and Roynon are all getting extra track time one way or another. Extra track time for Ritchings, Franklin, Stoneman and Portwood can only be a benefit. :)

He's not dead... :blink:

I'd very much support the idea of some second half racing too. I'd be interested to hear the opposing point of view from anyone on why it can't be done. Seems the best way to get extra rides for our reserves and number 8s.

I'd very much support the idea of some second half racing too. I'd be interested to hear the opposing point of view from anyone on why it can't be done. Seems the best way to get extra rides for our reserves and number 8s.

One of the biggest problems is curfews....Unless as has been suggested the riders are already there in the main meeting...Riders travel from afar at their own expense to get to the track and find there has been a bad accident during the meeting and the 2nd half is scrapped

Would Brummie be able to run track days ? Kings Lynn do some Newport do some and also Stoke.

Would Brummie be able to run track days ? Kings Lynn do some Newport do some and also Stoke.

No - planning permission is for one day a week only. And there is a 10 pm curfew. :angry: