British Speedway Forum

consider this, Edward is probably one of the most gifted and professional riders in BL, his equipment is always immaculate, except for that stupid silencer coating which discolors after no time. being the perfectionist he is he had it coated with a heat resistant at his own expense. Purely aesthetics, no cheating, nothing but making his kit look better. Also, he thought he did get permission !

dont think this has anything to do with external allterations

did the scb statement not say david king dismantled the 6 silencers and found 1 to have been modified

dont think this has anything to do with external allterations

did the scb statement not say david king dismantled the 6 silencers and found 1 to have been modified

It said examined , not disamantled , kennets will be dismantled today to show what has actually been tampered with , the new silencers are welded together and cannot just be dismantled, to take one apart needs proper workshop facilities

Yes we should wait to see what he's got to say, im not saying sack him now. If he admits it he will not have a leg to stand on and should be rightly sacked. Going by what other rider's are saying on twitter it seems to be widespread, what dont they pass on the names of riders they suspect and then the relevant people can do random checks!

random chack all you want now, you won't find anything other than a huge pile of orders on Dave Kings desk for new exhausts,

That may be the case and if it is, as I said on page 1, I'd want him sacked. If Ed in anyway gained from the "modified or tampered" then I will not in any way support him or justify his actions. If it turns out it was a non-perfmance enhancing "modification" and he's just be stupid while still not being happy, I would at least see it as some sort of mitigation. Remember, up to now it's only an external check thats been done, it's possible inside nothing has changed. It could be argued welding a damaged part is not modifying it, modifying means to change from original. That means any dents from crashes too.

How do you know its only an external check ? If it was only an external check surely it could have been done at the track without needing to go back to the factory.

Obviously the factory must have some equipment to test their own designs and the silencers they produce in order to certify them, and presumably they can show that Ed's silencer was performing differently to when it was manufactured (and they can check this from the serial number that all silencers have stamped on them).

Clearly some people have found ways to tamper with silencers because other riders have publicly said it goes on. Lets say for the sake of example that someone has found a way to drill some extra holes in the baffles by getting a drill in the end of the silencer. That may not be obvious on visual examination from the outside but would show up on a factory test.

As for dents from crashes I am not 100% sure but I am fairly sure that a dented silencer would be rejected by the machine examiner. Maybe someone can confirm ?

Finally, and perhaps even a little more disturbing for me. Am I right in believing that Coventry also issued an official complaint against some Lakeside riders regarding Silencers? If so, why?

I hope/like to think it was an angry reaction in disbelief that their captain wouldv'e done something like this, nothing more than a defensive human reaction. I do believe they've handled themselves quite well since.

consider this, Edward is probably one of the most gifted and professional riders in BL, his equipment is always immaculate, except for that stupid silencer coating which discolors after no time. being the perfectionist he is he had it coated with a heat resistant at his own expense. Purely aesthetics, no cheating, nothing but making his kit look better. Also, he thought he did get permission !

Are you saying that is what has happened?

Lets say for the sake of example that someone has found a way to drill some extra holes in the baffles by getting a drill in the end of the silencer.

This is, to my knowledge, what's been happening. But I don't see how that is cheating if it is still within the 115db levels and has not been taken apart. It's only the same as tuning an engine with lighter flywheels, conrods, etc within the 500cc limit.

Yes it's gaining an advantage but that's what competition is all about.

I would to see what Eddie himself has to say about this, maybe Nigel will get an interveiw tonight on SS2?

Coventry paid over 35k for Eddie the other year back, can't see them dumping him on the scrap heap somehow.

Why? Sack him and sell him to a team that doesn't mind employing cheats.

Sandhu is, we're lead to beleive, a guy who stand up for fair plays and decent morals. He's not going to sell out here now is he? Does he only believe in them things when it won't cost him money?

This is, to my knowledge, what's been happening. But I don't see how that is cheating if it is still within the 115db levels and has not been taken apart. It's only the same as tuning an engine with lighter flywheels, conrods, etc within the 500cc limit.

Yes it's gaining an advantage but that's what competition is all about.

I desperately want to agree with you because what you've said makes perfect sense. Engines can be tuned within 500cc however the rider chooses, therefore what's the difference in altering the silencer as long as it comes in within the 115db limit?

However, I think the answer is that the silencers are supposed to be sealed units that are the same across the board so that they don't have to test every silencer at every meeting.

Why? Sack him and sell him to a team that doesn't mind employing cheats.

Sandhu is, we're lead to beleive, a guy who stand up for fair plays and decent morals. He's not going to sell out here now is he? Does he only believe in them things when it won't cost him money?

Absolutely.

Sandhu is all about the higher moral ground.

Cannot see Eddie being kept as a Bees asset now or being used again.

It certainly will be a test of that moral high ground he likes to maintain.

Makes you wonder if this is why Eddie pulled out of the reserve gig at Cardiff...

He may have known that the bikes wouldve been under extra scrutiny at a GP and therefore he was more likely to be found out?

However, I think the answer is that the silencers are supposed to be sealed units that are the same across the board so that they don't have to test every silencer at every meeting.

That was what i always assumed. They are sealed units arent they?

Makes you wonder if this is why Eddie pulled out of the reserve gig at Cardiff...

He may have known that the bikes wouldve been under extra scrutiny at a GP and therefore he was more likely to be found out?

That is a bloody good question??????????????