British Speedway Forum

I fail to see how kennet doing it makes the entire coventry team cheats...

It's simple

Mod note- Enough of the personal stuff, last warning

Jeez man, you are way to defensive of all thing's Bees. The responsibility is with the rider. End of.

I can't believe that any mechanic would make any adjustments on a riders machinery without approval. Right or wrong I believe Kennett will remain a Bees rider & Kennett will only be dealt a fine and only the 7 day ban will come of it. It's very difficult to prove that Kennett knew but I'd find it amazing that he didn't.

Look at it from a legal standpoint - if the mechanic admits it was his fault, and that Kennett knew nothing, the authorities leave themselves open to all kinds of problems if they continue to pursue Kennett. While suspicion may follow him his whole career after this, it appears he's innocent. Whether or not you choose to believe it is up to you. I certainly can't offer any proof he is, anymore than you can prove he isn't.

Who is this post to?

Pretty much anyone who stating, for certain, that Kennett knew his silencer was modified.

.As a friend of Edward I have refrained from commenting on this issue up until know and until I had personally spoken to him to hear his side of this.

I have this afternoon spoken to him and listened to what he said, he is absoloutely distraught at what has happened and is disgusted that his integrity has been brought into question by the silly actions of a member of his team.

People are questioning on here how come Edward didn't know what his mechanic had done but for me I can see it quite clearly. Edward moved over the winter and has a team in place this year so that all he has to do is concentrate and focus on riding his bike, a situation that he felt would improve him as a rider this year (in my opinion this has happened).

I hope that Coventry stick by him as he did to them over those dark winter months and look forward to seeing the Edward that we know and love racing again very soon.

.As a friend of Edward I have refrained from commenting on this issue up until know and until I had personally spoken to him to hear his side of this.

I have this afternoon spoken to him and listened to what he said, he is absoloutely distraught at what has happened and is disgusted that his integrity has been brought into question by the silly actions of a member of his team.

People are questioning on here how come Edward didn't know what his mechanic had done but for me I can see it quite clearly. Edward moved over the winter and has a team in place this year so that all he has to do is concentrate and focus on riding his bike, a situation that he felt would improve him as a rider this year (in my opinion this has happened).

I hope that Coventry stick by him as he did to them over those dark winter months and look forward to seeing the Edward that we know and love racing again very soon.

I am sure if the Statement on the Bees site by Kennett was not true the mechanic in question would have commented by now . There will be them that want to believe that Eddie was party to it & them that dont . Pick a side & move on .

Looking at it another way the only 5 riders in British Speedway at the moment who are positivly using legal silencers are NEMO,RICO,SWIDERSKI,PAWLICKI & FISHER !!! They have certificates to prove it !!!

Do you know what? I'm perfectly happy to accept that.

It could well be that Edward was genuinely unaware that his machinery was illegal. However it's a fact that his machinery is his responsibility and no one else's, and as such he deserves whatever reasonable sanctions the authorities impose on him.

But surely that's as far as it can go. I know many are calling for him to be sacked and all the rest but to my mind there has to be some grace here. His version of events should be accepted as the truth, and once he's done the time he should be allowed to get back on with it. If at some point in the future he's caught cheating again, then that's a different thing altogether, but I do tend to think that this merciless "burn him, burn him" attitude over one misdemeanor that he could feasibly have been unaware of is a bit harsh.

Fair point bananaman and I guess those 5 could cheat now as no one would suspect them :-)

What did you say Eddie is innocent.... oh sorry we hanged him yesterday...

The pack of Wolves have had their meat, The mechanic has been sacked, Eddie gets suspended for 7 days, end of story.

What did you say Eddie is innocent.... oh sorry we hanged him yesterday...

The pack of Wolves have had their meat, The mechanic has been sacked, Eddie gets suspended for 7 days, end of story.

Not exactly, he hasn't been in front of the tribunal yet. They will deem the punishment, if there is to be one.

Does anyone know how the tribunal will work and who sits on the panel etc?

Edited by Jacques

Seems to me that when the Bees Management went for a **-for-tat protest, they just picked the three Hammers' top scorers on the night.

As to EK's statement, well - it appears it was someone who has served Eddie for a number of years going by the remarks re thanks for service and commitment etc. - many a servant has fallen on his sword to save his master. I am not saying it happened here but it certainly happens.

Edited by TonyE

What a load of hot air about something which has undoubtedly gone on since speedway began. That is to say..gaining the advantage and not always by legal means. Do we assume that riders know exactly what an engine tuner has tweaked about with to gain that extra bit of speed. Possibly not. Do we assume that Eddie knows every nut and bolt and personally supervises his bike? Possibly not. The difference in this case is that Eddie has been found out. He may not have known what had happened and may have used the bike innocently, but he will have to pay the price somehow.

As for a life ban, that is totally over the top. He hasnt been caught drunk or under the influence of drugs whilst riding and thus endangered someone else. That,for me would be worthy of a life ban, but a bit of "fine tuning" does not warrant the punishments advocated here.

I am a neutral observer on the forum and not a personal friend of Eddies.

Well I forone have 'cooled off'a bit following the furore created by this wholeunsavoury incident.

Now having heard from Ed Kennett and his side of the story - he would appear to be genuine as if not why would he have gone on using the bike or loaned it out to Nick Morris - who incidently has nothing to reproach himself for at all.

So the 'mechanic' gets the chop and takes the blame .... does he get named and shamed ?

Lesson to be learned by Eddie I believe and he needs to take on board whatever sanctions / internal discipline is forwarded his way without question. Hopefully he can comeback stronger and wiser ... he will still get my support if he can move on from this disappointing incident.

At the end of the day it's just another nail in the coffin for speedway as a professional run sport.These headlines will just turn people away from the sport far less attract new fans .

what hasnt been mentioned is that he had 2 bikes at the track on saturday, were they both with altered silencers ?.

lets face it some riders dont decide what bike or engine to use until they look at the track, slick or deep. So wouldnt it be suspicious if after track walk around the team decided to swop cans from bike to bike.

So do we assume that both bikes had altered cans, more so what about the bikes in Poland, if he got a phone call yesterday in Poland did he remove the cans and bring them back to England.

I though I read that father was spannering on saturday and he was spouting off when they took them away for examination, IF you got nothing to worry about why spout off to officials unless you know you are busted, sorry Eddie you knew, dad let the cat out the bag.

The rules are clear officials can have your bike, engine or parts for testing after competition, if you incur costs they will be met by the protesting party if nothing is found to be illegal.