British Speedway Forum

A young man and talented rider has his life in turmoil at the moment -- we should be aware of how a lot of the comments made may have an effect on him. I hope he isn't reading the forum right now. I believe Edward has a good family and support behind him which I hope he takes comfort from. Edward appears to have a lot of integrity and is prepared to accept his punishment.

I look forward to seeing Edward ride again for a British team soon.

Why do so many people appear to be rubbing their hands over his mistake? :cry:

If you are reading the forum Edward --- chin up ---- you are thought a lot of.

Well said Fliss44

It's way over the top. Riders have only received one year bans for taking drugs which in my view is far more serious.

Anything more than a ban for this season is out of proportion.

Agree, but maybe there has been a change in tolerating illegal machinery, with more draconian punishment now being introduced.

I remember when riders were found guilty of using oversized engines and only token sanctions were applied.

The only person who isnt and shouldnt be proud this morning is Ed himself.

It isnt like any of the forum users encouraged him or his team to cheat.

Lets keep it real who is the guilty party - certainly not forum users who are responding to the FACTS as we know them.

I take it you feel the same about KK then, and will imminently be addressing a letter to the Brummies Promotion asking for him to be sacked?

As my sister is engaged to one of eds friends and spanner man on occasions then I might know more then u think I do.

You might, but then again, you might simply be "bigging yourself up" as many, many others have here in the past. Judging by your next, slightly panicky response on this subject, I'd say that you have let your mouth get active before your brain caught up, and that in fact you know nothing more than any of us think you do. If you have something to say, please share with the rest of the class - if as is more likely though, you don't, please stop using the "I know more than you know, so there!" line - we've seen it all before! :rolleyes:

From what I can see the situation at the current time is that Ed was caught using an illegal silencer. He claims to have no knowledge of the silencer being tampered with. A protest was made part-way through the meeting alleging tampering, and Ed continued through the meeting and scored a max. It seems to me that the following is likely:

1) after the protest was made, surely had Ed known about the silencer common sense would have said that he would have backed off a bit, tried to avoid ending up as a top scorer?

2) Considering he wasted no time once the situation was made public acknowledging that he agreed that the silencer removed from his bike HAD been tampered with, had he known about it he would have thrown his hands up as soon as it was taken for testing? Had he been aware of the tampering he would after all have known there was no way it was going to pass out as OK, and in fact he may have been treated more leniently if he's put his hands up?

3) If you know your bike is dodgy, I find it hard to believe you would then go ahead and lend that bike to a team-mate.

Bearing the above in mind, it seems likely at this point, on the evidence we are aware of, that Ed genuinely didn't know this had been done to his machine. Presumably his second bike has also been checked and was OK? If this is the case then hopefully he will take forward that he has been naive in the extreme to trust those around him to the extent that he has, and that he needs to brush up substantially on his mechanical knowledge also.

One interesting thing that has come out of this is the sheer number of Bees fans who, before ANY of the facts were known, have happily had Kennett hung, drawn and quartered. With a few notable exceptions, you don't go much on waiting to hear the background before demonstrating your lack of loyalty to your riders up there, do you!

If Eddie is in the minority he does need to be punished, but I don't see how a ban helps anyone. What about some kind of speedway community service for a year, he has to work with the BSPA to promote the sport, go into schools etc weekly. Or if it is legally allowed, a percentage of his earnings from British Speedway is donated to charities voted on by the fans. I don't know what the punishment should be, but a lengthy ban serves no purpose to the sport or Eddie.

First and foremost, a ban acts as a deterrent to other riders. It also shows that the British authorities will come down hard on cheats.

Of course, this may be harsh on Kennett, as he is effectively being made a scapegoat, but unless he is dealt with severely it will simply open the floodgates for riders to flaunt the rules.

Kennett says he was unaware and holder says he was injured last night these are the facts, personally i can't differentiate between the two.

You obviously do not have Sky otherwise you would have seen that Chris had three crashes on Monday night.

I am neither a Holder or Poole fan but if he says he was injured I am satisfied that he was injured.

Edited by The Little Un

Your correct about bob. One person that can clear this up in how long ed's been using it for is himself or his spanner team. Can't see either them doing that. The way I see it ed leaving Coventry makes me feel that he can't prove he has not been using it. If he could why leave and surly if u new nothing about it which ed is claiming to then u would fight it all the way through the courts if need be.

You are presuming that he will not give the whole facts to the SCB next Tuesday: Which is the correct place to give his evidence and not in the court of public opinion.

You obviously do not have Sky otherwise you would have seen that Chris had three crashes on Monday night.

I am neither a Holder or Poole fan but if he says he was injured I am satisfied that he was injured.

I may be wrong but I believe you are missing the point a little. I think Hatcham's point is that Holder "tells us" he is injured, and Kennett "tells us" he knew nothing - none of us have any evidence to dispute either case. ;)

no ones saying he ahsnt cheated, however do really think he was the only one?

your living in a dream world neo if you think so

the sanction has to be hard but fair, knowing that other riders were doing the same

true it should be hard but fair.

I also believe for complete fairness Eddies scores for the season should be expunged from the league and results adjusted accordingly. Unfortunately this has brought disrepute on Coventry results and in the name of fair play, the Coventry management should be asking for this as a sign that they don't wish to benefit from illegal points scoring,

I would like to think the ban would be no more than the remainder of this season.

I see Belle Vue are trying to claim something back for their draw last week. Surely the only result of that will see them regard permission to use Harris & Schlein next season?

As my sister is engaged to one of eds friends and spanner man on occasions then I might know more then u think I do.

Oh no, not the famous "I might know more tha you think I do" line......... :blink:

Better get you on the SCB panel; next week, or better stil subpoena you to give your "Evidence" if it is evidence at all.

true it should be hard but fair.

I also believe for complete fairness Eddies scores for the season should be expunged from the league and results adjusted accordingly. Unfortunately this has brought disrepute on Coventry results and in the name of fair play, the Coventry management should be asking for this as a sign that they don't wish to benefit from illegal points scoring,

I would like to think the ban would be no more than the remainder of this season.

Haha, worried you'll have to go to "Rome" again?

I see Belle Vue are trying to claim something back for their draw last week. Surely the only result of that will see them regard permission to use Harris & Schlein next season?

Nelle vue should rightly gain from kennett. All to do with fair play.

Haha, worried you'll have to go to "Rome" again?

Probably worried that a team will qualify for the playoff because of points scored by a member of their team that cheated :wink:

Very well said.

Thank you. :t:

I take it you feel the same about KK then, and will imminently be addressing a letter to the Brummies Promotion asking for him to be sacked?

Couldnt care less what Brum do.

KK didnt use the illegal silencers so therefore isnt likely to face any ban.

Not saying that is right - it stinks to be honest.

Hopefully he and EVERY rider will face stringent checks and tests at meetings in future.

No matter how you dress the ed situation up he is ultimately responsible.

I see it as no different to a rider who is struggling and sacks a member of his back up crew to try and make a difference, the RIDER has that responsibility to his career.

If it is proved the person Ed sacked `deliberatly` went out of his way to ruin Ed`s career then Ed might just have a point.

It would be a bit like a premiership footballer blaiming the coach for saying he is fit and then goes and gets injured.

I like Ed, think he has had a decent year - but all that has been tainted by the use of an illegal piece of equipment.

Without evidence from that particular meeting, I cannot see how Kennett's scores can be removed from anything other than the Lakeside match.