British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fozzie4388

Scunthorpe/sheffield Vs Dudley

I think people get to worked up about riders not shaking hands immediately after races, as long as everyone does so after the meeting its all good.

I think people get to worked up about riders not shaking hands immediately after races, as long as everyone does so after the meeting its all good.

I tend to agree,but when someone offers to shake hands and you ignore it i think its different

Maybe hes was pished of at getting smoked by his replacement for the saints :wink:

Onwards and upwards!!!

No, Greyhound, you were right first time. Yes Simon, we're happy to see Heathens back on track but its no good deluding oneself that recent performances don't warrant criticism ! A top scorer yesterday who only takes 2 pts from the opposition, (check it out); a top scorer at our previous away match with just 4pts, all gifted. And it does certainly seem that Roynon has come back too soon and will be doing his own long-term injury recovery no good, nor that of the Heathens score sheet.

Action is now needed from mgt, - in the pits on the night, and on the phone to strength the team, though I feel that its too late now for the play-offs, never mind the title.

My point was not about the critisism of the riders or team it was about making accusations that there are problems within the club. Please dont give me stats, I was there and saw what happened at the meetings. Regarding Royno, he may have come back to early, but he did win 3 of his rides for us to win the Fours, no one was complaining then!

Yes we want to win but sometimes we need a reality check, We have achieved so much in two years and now it is the time for the fans to stick with the club through the difficult times. Its easy for lots of fans to turn up when we are winning but the club and riders need them now more than ever to give them their support. I have no doubt that a majority of fans will do this and we will move on. If we were racing at a higher level I could understand the critisism but at this level its tough for the lads and they need support imho. I know most of the team and we have a bunch of decent lads who want to do well not just for themselves but for the club, they understand the desire to win and they were very disappointed last night. But I know that they will go out tonight and do their best, what more can we ask for.

You're getting overly defensive in my opinion mate. I may not agree with everything that's been said regarding problems within the club but I defend the right to say it in the way it's been said, politely and without resorting to slagging off individuals without any facts. Something has gone wrong lately and there's no point papering over it. Our recent performances in league and cup have been appalling and embarrassing to say the least. The paying public have every right to voice concerns and state opinion as long as, as I have already said, it's not just taking a swipe at individuals unfairly.

You can't just discount the BV meeting. The track was there to be ridden, however poor it might have been. We were beaten out of sight and the result is in the record books. The fact is that it must be one of the biggest defeats any Heathens team has suffered. We were embarrassed by Stoke up there in Staffordshire, almost beaten by them at home too. Last night's performance is simply not on and we were beaten with ease at home last time out. It's not defeatist but realistic to say we're up against it to even stay in the fight for a play off place, and from a strong position 6 weeks ago that's disappointing.

I'm a speedway supporter and proud to call myself a Heathens fan. I will continue to back the riders come race night but I will not shy away from criticising if/when I deem it is warranted. I will be there at Monmore Wood and I suspect the crowd will be just as big as we've seen before for our league meetings. Nobody has said they're turning their back because of a handful of recent performances. That doesn't mean I/they will "move on" without questioning current form though.

A couple of riders have shown a significant dip in form since mid-season, one has mostly been below form all season and one just needs to make sure he's more consistently near his best. Of the current line-up I would add there are a couple that have done all that could be expected too. If I were to talk to these riders I reckon each and everyone of them would agree with my assessment and if Heathens fans are honest with themselves they will probably work out which riders I've put in which category because we've all seen it with our own eyes. In fact if I were to log in to Facebook today the riders' biggest criticism would be coming from themselves - of that I'm sure.

To end I will reiterate that criticising recent performances doesn't mean people are stirring, looking for problems that aren't there or turning their back on the riders/club.

My point was not about the critisism of the riders or team it was about making accusations that there are problems within the club. Please dont give me stats, I was there and saw what happened at the meetings. Regarding Royno, he may have come back to early, but he did win 3 of his rides for us to win the Fours, no one was complaining then!

Yes we want to win but sometimes we need a reality check, We have achieved so much in two years and now it is the time for the fans to stick with the club through the difficult times. Its easy for lots of fans to turn up when we are winning but the club and riders need them now more than ever to give them their support. I have no doubt that a majority of fans will do this and we will move on. If we were racing at a higher level I could understand the critisism but at this level its tough for the lads and they need support imho. I know most of the team and we have a bunch of decent lads who want to do well not just for themselves but for the club, they understand the desire to win and they were very disappointed last night. But I know that they will go out tonight and do their best, what more can we ask for.

Some of us have been following Heathens thru 'difficult times' that lasted several seasons, long before the glory days, and longer than the present half-season, and dont need lecturing on that score.

Results of the last three league matches have been abysmal: praise has been given and welcomed when success has been achieved, and when the opposite results then the converse applies and has to be acknowledged, - acknowledged that the collective performance has been unacceptable. I'll remind you that the object of a speedway match, and the object of the league, - however pleasant, charming, well-intended and decent the bunch of lad are - , is to win, not just to have an enjoyable time, and the task of Mgt is to i) provide the means, and having done so, to ii) stimulate, motivate, kick a--- if needs be, so that the provided means deliver the stated objective. Action is now needed.

Whats the problem with the Dudley fans everyone keeps going on a about???they were there in numbers last night but very quiet!!!!

Well what did you expect after that performance?

Some of us have been following Heathens thru 'difficult times' that lasted several seasons, long before the glory days, and longer than the present half-season, and dont need lecturing on that score.

Results of the last three league matches have been abysmal: praise has been given and welcomed when success has been achieved, and when the opposite results then the converse applies and has to be acknowledged, - acknowledged that the collective performance has been unacceptable. I'll remind you that the object of a speedway match, and the object of the league, - however pleasant, charming, well-intended and decent the bunch of lad are - , is to win, not just to have an enjoyable time, and the task of Mgt is to i) provide the means, and having done so, to ii) stimulate, motivate, kick a--- if needs be, so that the provided means deliver the stated objective. Action is now needed.

Correct

There are no problems with the 'Club' but there clearly are with the 'Team'.

Whatever has caused this massive dip in form needs to be collectively addressed by the Riders with whatever support we, and by that I mean the Management and the Fans, can muster. Our Riders are collectively a very talented and committed group and I am at as big a loss as anyone to understand why our season is in danger of becoming totally derailed! We are arguably the biggest 'scalp' in the NL but we aren't performing anywhere near that level of expectation at present. Whether the opposition see a very well supported and apparently well backed side arrive in town and up their game accordingly shouldn't be an issue and I would doubt that it is, but undeniably we are becoming too easily beaten of late.

Whatever happens at Stoke tonight, and I am fearing another defeat, we then face four massive matches to complete our league programme. Let's just hope that we can re-group, confirm a play-off place and kick on from there.

EVERY 'Heathens' Fan is behind you boys!! Lets get the 'Wood' rocking on Tuesday and start'Ommering Um again.

Glass half full time!!!!

I tend to agree,but when someone offers to shake hands and you ignore it i think its different

Maybe hes was pished of at getting smoked by his replacement for the saints :wink:

Onwards and upwards!!!

By his replacement whats that got to do with it Ash would be at scunny now if he wanted to but didn t and before people say anything he only didn t sign because his local team offered him a contract if they hadn t then i m sure he would have sign scunny s as for not shaking hands maybe he was disappointed with his performance but will say i never was the incident but assure you ash and both worralls get on well thanks chatting after meeting. But suppose we should expect coments like this of you as we all know you have a problem with ash cause you wanted him at scunny. :wink:

Briefly replying to Cradleysadler, i will just say my attendance at Heathens meetings compares favourably with the attendance of our Chairman. :wink:

Maybe my iterpretation of what i said about a genuine No1 was seen as being aimed at Royno, they were never aimed at Royno who when fully fit is the best rider in the NL, however he is/was not on paper our No1.

Edited by greyhoundp

I think some Heathens fans may have been spoilt by success! There are ten teams in the NL this year and I bet almost every other one would love to have the Heathens combined record over this season and last.

We can't win em all, but we've won a damn good percentage, with some fantastic entertainment along the way. I understand some people will be disappointed, but some seem to take it a bit more personally and drastically than it needs to be. It doesn't mean there are 'problems' within the club, or that there needs to be sweeping changes, or anything anywhere near as dramatic!

It just means we need to stick by the young lads who we have done a tremendous job of nurturing already, and help them get themselves right again for the next match.

Away at Scunny and Stoke were always going to be very tough to get anything from. We have four home Tuesdays in a row now, so let's see if we can build up some momentum from them, and see if we can get anything at the Isle of Wight in the remaining away trip. If so, we'll be there or thereabouts near the top four.

Briefly replying to Cradleysadler, i will just say my attendance at Heathens meetings compares favourably with the attendance of our Chairman. :wink:

I doubt that.

Maybe my iterpretation of what i said about a genuine No1 was seen as being aimed at Royno, they were never aimed at Royno who when fully fit is the best rider in the NL, however he is/was not on paper our No1.

Nigel has been in touch with me tonight and said the following,"He is happy to have a chat with you on Tuesday before the Belle Vue match in the pits".

I think some Heathens fans may have been spoilt by success! There are ten teams in the NL this year and I bet almost every other one would love to have the Heathens combined record over this season and last.

We can't win em all, but we've won a damn good percentage, with some fantastic entertainment along the way. I understand some people will be disappointed, but some seem to take it a bit more personally and drastically than it needs to be. It doesn't mean there are 'problems' within the club, or that there needs to be sweeping changes, or anything anywhere near as dramatic!

It just means we need to stick by the young lads who we have done a tremendous job of nurturing already, and help them get themselves right again for the next match.

Away at Scunny and Stoke were always going to be very tough to get anything from. We have four home Tuesdays in a row now, so let's see if we can build up some momentum from them, and see if we can get anything at the Isle of Wight in the remaining away trip. If so, we'll be there or thereabouts near the top four.

Hang on a minute. Nobody is talking about last season or the first part of this season. With the exception of the excellent Fours win we're talking about recent form (circa the last 6 weeks). Even if you want to talk about the whole of this season most of the league wouldn't swap places with us. We're 6th or 10 and BV are only a point behind with 3 meetings in hand, in fact Newport could yet catch us. That's the measure of the recent collapse and the reason it's worthy of comment.

We've won less than half of our league meetings this season, though I acknowledge we have some home meetings coming up. The entertainment cannot be faulted, nobody has claimed otherwise. I don't think anybody has taken "personally" but "drastically"? Perhaps, given that it's been a drastic dip in form. Again you are putting words in peoples mouth with "sweeping changes". I don't think I read a single post calling for a rider's head. The only such posts have been the ones, quite rightly, suggesting that Portwood was simply out of his depth. Nobody had a go at him, just suggested it was doing him no good any more than the club.

I will certainly stick by the lads and be there tomorrow to cheer them on, and I quite sure others that are less than impressed with current form will be there too.

Scunfield and Stoke were always going to be tough, yes, but it was the manner of the defeats that has annoyed and upset. We didn't even put up a fight, and on the back of a couple of other recent defeats it's a concern because there are still some very tough looking fixtures to come.

ATB mate, we just disagree on a few points here that's all. :)

Cradleysadler, many thanks for Nigels offer, however i am unable to accept due to the fact i am working, and am 170 ish miles away,but i would love to have that chat at a future date, Oh if anyone out there has a 9 to 5 vacancy i am coming back up to the midlands at the end of the month. :wink:

Yes 79, i am passionate about My Team, maybe i dont choose the right words at times, but hopefully the gist of what i am trying to say comes across most of the time. Spoilt by success! i come from an era where if the Heathens finished bottom but one it was classed as a good season :lol: .

Well its always dis-spiriting to get a tonking, but I'm sure the lads are giving it all & will want to do their best for the most popular team in the NL.

For travelling supporters, you always want to see your team have a competitive chance of a good result otherwise you may not always travel away in the future.

Its inevitable that riders will lose form/confidence at some stage of the season due to bad luck, injury or machine problems, with the key being to find solutions to these issues. At this level it probably isn't easily practical for e.g. to improve gating as there probably isn't the time & money to get extra track practice.

What the management has done is to give riders a chance & then replaced them if necessary, which is as much as they can do and doesn't show a lack of ambition.

Lets hope its another good crowd tomorrow & we get back to winning ways... but if not, thats sport... its the taking part that counts & thank god we're taking part once again!

Ommer'um!