British Speedway Forum

I think aljack would explode if Chris Louis signed up.

Not at all that would be a great move by Chris Louis in fact the best he has ever done. He was a far better rider than he is promoter and could still do a brill job at no1 in place of his mate Lanham.

Thanks to my mate MrBeerhut who has let me know some info re rolling averages. Kev currently at No1 and due to drop only 22 points from next 4 meetings before August cut off.

Leigh scored 42 in the 4 he wiil drop so likely

to drop further.

Rohan could get there but probably would need 4 max or Kev to score nil!! I would be happy to see the first but not the second!!

IS it really going to make much difference? Maybe Leigh may score a couple more, but I don't see Kevin doing any better than Leigh was. It must be close between Morten dropping to reserve and Matt moving back up?

Current Ipswich Rolling Averages after Redcar away (5 July):

Lanham 7.11, Doolan 7.26, Risager 6.25, Tresarrieu 6.17, North 6.96, Tungate 6.75, Heeps 4.49

Edited by Dave Love

IS it really going to make much difference? Maybe Leigh may score a couple more, but I don't see Kevin doing any better than Leigh was. It must be close between Morten dropping to reserve and Matt moving back up?

No its not as quite simply the Witches do not have a no1 and if Kevin moves there I reckon his points will drop even further. He is riding at 3 which is the easiest of the 3 those being at 1,3 or 5 and still cannot better his poor average by much. If Morten does indeed drop to reserve that will weaken the Witches as I think he has lost his bottle and there is alot of wild reserves about in the inferior premier league. Lanham whether riding at 1 or not will not make much difference to his falling like a stone average, he simply is a poor Witches rider for some unknown reason which for whatever reason only he knows.

No its not as quite simply the Witches do not have a no1 and if Kevin moves there I reckon his points will drop even further. He is riding at 3 which is the easiest of the 3 those being at 1,3 or 5 and still cannot better his poor average by much. If Morten does indeed drop to reserve that will weaken the Witches as I think he has lost his bottle and there is alot of wild reserves about in the inferior premier league. Lanham whether riding at 1 or not will not make much difference to his falling like a stone average, he simply is a poor Witches rider for some unknown reason which for whatever reason only he knows.

Yawn, and this is my first post ever!!!

No number 1 didn't cost us at Berwick, Plymouth or redcar! But hey, let's not forget fact.

Leigh can't ride at number 1 at premier level, fact. He can't score for the witches at nsel level, fact. Can he ride at 3 or 5 at premier level for the witches, answer unknown, only time will tell. Could always bring Taylor back if he can't, but that blows your genuine number 1 theory out of the water still! in regards to Morten going to reserve, could well be a confidence boost for him, if he has a good meeting and get 6/7 rides, more track time. Look at Joe Jacobs last year, tough start, spell at reserve, come good, bounced back into the main body!

Good night, Tom Cosgrove

• Like 3

No number 1 didn't cost us at Berwick, Plymouth or redcar! But hey, let's not forget fact.

Leigh can't ride at number 1 at premier level, fact. He can't score for the witches at nsel level, fact. Can he ride at 3 or 5 at premier level for the witches, answer unknown, only time will tell. Could always bring Taylor back if he can't, but that blows your genuine number 1 theory out of the water still! in regards to Morten going to reserve, could well be a confidence boost for him, if he has a good meeting and get 6/7 rides, more track time. Look at Joe Jacobs last year, tough start, spell at reserve, come good, bounced back into the main body!

Good night, Tom Cosgrove

Welcome Tom - a well thought out and reasoned post :)

Personally, I'm not convinced the Sackers Witches are Championship material, but they are not a bad team - just a bit frustrating! If they can beat Scunthorpe, that would be a terrific result, but it will be tough ...

Good night, Tom Cosgrove

Welcome tom, always remember we are all welcome to our opinions and if yours differ from mine so be it, I wont be loosing any sleep over it. As Ive said all season its of no matter who rides at 1 because we simply do not have one. Morten at reserve ummmm? doubt it will make much difference with many wild reserves from other teams around to challenge him.

Welcome tom, always remember we are all welcome to our opinions and if yours differ from mine so be it, I wont be loosing any sleep over it. As Ive said all season its of no matter who rides at 1 because we simply do not have one. Morten at reserve ummmm? doubt it will make much difference with many wild reserves from other teams around to challenge him.

Factually incorrect as usual. Your number 1 rider is the one with the highest average. Get over it.

Welcome Tom - a well thought out and reasoned post :)

Personally, I'm not convinced the Sackers Witches are Championship material, but they are not a bad team - just a bit frustrating! If they can beat Scunthorpe, that would be a terrific result, but it will be tough ...

hello dave. championship material - potentially. sorry to be so inquisitive, but are you the re-run comentator, if so do you remember the powerslide day your son (Tom) did?

I'm glad we all have different opinions, it would be boring if we all shared the same ones. Correct, we don't have an out and out number 1, but the team wasn't built like that! it was built with potential number 1's. although chris' approach to mildenhall is with a genuine number 1, perhaps a tester year for both types of team building, but only he will know that. can you elaborate what you mean by the term 'wild reserves' please.

I'm glad we all have different opinions, it would be boring if we all shared the same ones. Correct, we don't have an out and out number 1, but the team wasn't built like that! it was built with potential number 1's. although chris' approach to mildenhall is with a genuine number 1, perhaps a tester year for both types of team building, but only he will know that. can you elaborate what you mean by the term 'wild reserves' please.

Have you been to foxhall this season? If you have, havent you noticed many young and inexperienced young riders at reserve that look out of control in their early heats? As Morten has had 2 nasty injuries recently I cant imagine he will want to mix it with them can you? This is hardly a "tester" year for Louis as you put it as we never had a genuine no1 last season either and won nothing other than a meaningless 4s title that nobody was interested in anyway.

Edited by aljack

Have you been to foxhall this season? If you have, havent you noticed many young and inexperienced young riders at reserve that look out of control in their early heats? As Morten has had 2 nasty injuries recently I cant imagine he will want to mix it with them can you? This is hardly a "tester" year for Louis as you put it as we never had a genuine no1 last season either and won nothing other than a meaningless 4s title that nobody was interested in anyway.

Have I been to foxhall this year, yes, only one meeting unfortunately, stupid work commitments having to work away from home. It isn't just reserves who look out of control in early heats, can be anyone, I seem to remember schrammy last season having a few 'wild' moments, and he ain't an inexperienced reserve. Morten will race against everyone in the opposing team at some point so why should it make a difference if its heat 2 or heat 12. I shall back up my tester theory here, last season Ipswich and Mildenhall, built with strength in depth. This season Ipswich with strength in depth, Mildenhall with a genuine number 1. The 4s trophy may be meaningless to you, but you can't argue with a trophy in the cabinet out of 3 available (KOC, 4s and league trophy), feel free to correct me.

Edited by tcoz88

We won two trophies last year (Anglian Cup) and already have one in the cabinet this year (Anglian Cup). I know they don't really matter but Pete Simmons took offence when a mate of mine suggested that we only won one trophy last year, so we don't want to upset him if he reads this forum!.

Well Lanham has to go, firstly his piece in the local paper probably isn't what most Witches fans want to hear - that he's not a number 1, he's not happy being at No.1 and once out of no.1 he won't be going back there. He also said that the Witches can drop him but it won't improve the situation.

So lets break that down:

He's not a No.1 - he would of known he would be riding at No.1 when he signed up for us so he should of taken a more posititve attitude knowing he would be riding there rather than keep moaning that "he wasn't signed as a No.1" and such, he's not a kid, he's a senior member of the team who has probably done more laps of Foxhall than the rest of the team combined - get a handle on being at No.1 rather than waiting to get out of there.

He's not happy being at No.1 - As above, he knew he would be there, don't like it? Don't sign for us! Don't sign for us knowing you're starting at No.1 and then moan about it in the press!

Once he's out of No.1 he won't be going back - Ok this I have a big issue with, Who rides at No.1 (and 6 & 7) is determined by averages - nothing else, so when he drops to 2, 3, 4 or 5 he should be happier to ride there, should improve his scores, what will this do? Increase his average and there is every chance he will end up back at No.1! So unless he's planning on plodding along in the 2 to 5 to keep his average down then I don't know what he's on about? If he is planning on doing that then he can leave right now quite frankly!

Dropping him won't improve the situation - so is he saying there are problems elsewhere? Is he saying that on his average there is nobody better? I find both hard to believe quite frankly!

After the shambles last night Pete Simmons told ALL riders to go out and practise as there was about 30 mins left before the curfew, who was there, lets have a look:

Lanham. Nowhere to be seen, lives on the doorstep of the stadium, underperformed on the night then went home against his managers wishes - who is running the show here? The management or the riders?

Tungate. Was present but didn't do any laps, imn his defense he was in heat 15 and rode reasonably well on the night

Doolan. Was one of the first out, was disappointing to see him sulking on the centre green on his own after being dropped for his last ride - not much of a captains role model there - dones 6 laps or so then disappeared.

Risager. Also one of the first out, done about the same amount of laps as Doolan but at least Morten rode quite well in the meeting.

North. Nowhere to be seen, was unlucky in his first couple of rides when taken right to the fence - and I do mean right to it! Had he of laid it down it would of been the other rider being discludedfied. In saying that though he did seem to be riding a bit of a bucking bronco in his races, disappointed not to see him out there.

Tress. Another no-show, top scorer for the Witches so maybe given a pardon for it?

Heeps. First out there with Doolan and Risager, probably done the most amount of laps afterwards, rode well during the meeting and scored what you'd expect from him but still went out - maybe the experienced Lanham should look at the approach young Cameron takes to the sport?

So Pete Simmons told ALL the riders to go out, how many did? 3 riding, 4 with Tungate also there. Tress may of been excused but I fail to see why North and Lanham weren't out there but at the end of the day "all" does mean all! All seven!

I hope the riders who didn't go get a dressing down, management need to remind them who is pulling the strings!

Taylor Poole was also out there and surely it's only a matter of time before he's back in the team? I know who I'd drop for him.....Lanham!

• Like 3