British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PhilK

How Many Teams In Nl In 2012

Whats happening with the plans at BRISTOL..????

Just had to ensure nobody would be decapitated by wind turbines :rolleyes: now they nearly have the all clear to start building a track

Just had to ensure nobody would be decapitated by wind turbines :rolleyes: now they nearly have the all clear to start building a track

Did that actually come into consideration?????

Now thats not strictly true but lets not stop facts getting in the way of your point.

And Mr Godfrey has simply changed his tune as HT has stated. When Scunthorpe were a standard alone CL team he had one (strong) opinion and wasnt afraid to voice it at every opportunity.

Now he has exactly the opinion he used to argue against.

At the end of the day he has the right to do what he wants with his club and rightly so but dont try and change history.

It will be a great shame if they are not in the NL next season and personaly i hope they are.

Now thats not strictly true but lets not stop facts getting in the way of your point.

And Mr Godfrey has simply changed his tune as HT has stated. When Scunthorpe were a standard alone CL team he had one (strong) opinion and wasnt afraid to voice it at every opportunity.

Now he has exactly the opinion he used to argue against.

At the end of the day he has the right to do what he wants with his club and rightly so but dont try and change history.

It will be a great shame if they are not in the NL next season and personaly i hope they are.

What a lot of rubbish is being spouted by people who quite clearly are blinkered.For the record all my riders during the cl days were on basic money not one of them were on big money,if you dont believe as you quite clearly dont ask Tai woffinden or Josh Auty what they got while riding for scunthorpe,As for changing my opinion where has that happened ,our objective has always been to bring youngsters on by leaving them in our team when others would have dropped them .how do you think we got to where we are now The last three years have been development years and were hard on team managers Malcom Vasey and Stuart Parnaby who had to take constant defeats on the chin but this year we changed our approach to actually win the league so team orders did change but to challange for honours Any way thats as mutch as your going to get from me the rider will do the rest COME ON U SAINTS

Rob Godfrey

Attack the post not the poster Mr Godfrey.

I was respectful in my post shame the same cannot be said in yours and you linked to my post and yet raised points made by others.

For the record i know both Malcolm and Stuart and have the utmost respect for them both.

Edited by Nikko

For heavens sake can this not be left to a later date. These riders have a final to get through it is the last thing they need on there minds. ' am I rideing myself out of a job' totally inconsiderate in my my opinion.

Attack the post not the poster Mr Godfrey.

YOu were one of the chappies attacking RG[and others] on the save the fentigers facebook Nikko,maybe hes attacking back!!!! :nono:

For heavens sake can this not be left to a later date. These riders have a final to get through it is the last thing they need on there minds. ' am I rideing myself out of a job' totally inconsiderate in my my opinion.

I wouldn't worry yourself, someones loss is someones gain.

To be fair though,this team you could say now has 4 x NL number ones in it,so they were never gonna stay together due to averages,and these lads need to progress,maybe to clubs who pay a little more than a development team like Scunny do

So you think its wrong we kept together a group or riders who had been a great success,this whole team got us into the play offs,not one rider!!!!

Were you one of the baffoons on the Save the fentigers facebook page during the spring slagging R.G of for kicking you out of the league??when the whole time they were trying to push through a deal that involved the current promotion???

Montie read the whole post, instead of the sniping at other teams just acknowledge that you are in it to win it rather than the constant harping of how you are the saviour of Young Brits - when actions suggest otherwise.

But you can't help yourself. One rider got us into the play-offs - which one? Cameron has done superbly in the handful of meetings and is deservedly number 1 ( Stefan has been excellent and can still ride Number 7? ), Lewis started the season at reserve and is now a Heat Leader whilst the rest have dug in deep and worked as a team.

And no, no idea of the Facebook thing all though have seen it on here. As I said on an earlier post IF R.G. had a hand in anything underhand then quite rightly he should be pilloried - as should any other promoter - but I've not seen anything that supports that, and surely Mildenhall promotion would not have been too amenable to changing dates if bad blood did exist?.

Kev

Buxton looks dodgy it will be a sad day if they go but Jayne did not travel much this year with a young family to think of not a surprise. Any chanceof a I O W style cosortium taking over .

What a lot of rubbish is being spouted by people who quite clearly are blinkered.For the record all my riders during the cl days were on basic money not one of them were on big money,if you dont believe as you quite clearly dont ask Tai woffinden or Josh Auty what they got while riding for scunthorpe,As for changing my opinion where has that happened ,our objective has always been to bring youngsters on by leaving them in our team when others would have dropped them .how do you think we got to where we are now The last three years have been development years and were hard on team managers Malcom Vasey and Stuart Parnaby who had to take constant defeats on the chin but this year we changed our approach to actually win the league so team orders did change but to challange for honours Any way thats as mutch as your going to get from me the rider will do the rest COME ON U SAINTS

Rob Godfrey

I am certainly neither blinkered nor subjective and, knowing Nikko, neither is he.

I would say I have made no secret of my regard for Scunthorpe Speedway and, in particular, their model set up at third tier level. Indeed, I have agreed with Montie's comments in respect of the NL side this season.

The thing is though is according to that article you are against older riders being introduced into the National League and a 'win at all costs' attitude, presumably aiming that comment at the likes of Mildenhall, Dudley, Stoke and others.

What sticks in my craw is that is exactly what you did when Scunthorpe were a stand alone NL side, yet now you object to it (albeit not as violently as in the past). Whilst it would be true to suggest that some of the most talented young riders in British Speedway learnt their trade at EWR, you were never averse to signing experienced riders to take their place if, for some reason, they were not available or there was no youngster good enough to be highly competitive at NL level.

As such, there is a clear change in opinion and practice (in fact, it is a 180 degree one) almost certainly provoked by the changing status of Scunthorpe's NL side.

Personally, I'd say there was no change to approach this season; the current members of the Saints side have just improved significantly.

As I have said, I prefer the viewpoint of Dale Allitt. He recognises that there has to be scope in the NL for both stand alone and double up clubs and that both have to have regard of the others needs and cannot have it all their own way at the expense of the other.

Its a viewpoint that is unselfish, sensible and practical and, because of that, its highly persuasive as well.

On a final note, I certainly don't expect you to reveal the financial commitments to riders on a public forum. However, I believe it has been admitted on this forum in the past that Scorpions riders were indeed paid above the fixed NL rate during 2006/7.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

I am certainly neither blinkered nor subjective and, knowing Nikko, neither is he.

The thing is though is according to that article you are against older riders being introduced into the National League and a 'win at all costs' attitude, presumably aiming that comment at the likes of Mildenhall, Dudley, Stoke and others.

What sticks in my craw is that is exactly what you did when Scunthorpe were an NL side, yet now you object to it (albeit not as violently as in the past). Whilst it would be true to suggest that some of the most talented young riders in British Speedway learnt their trade at EWR, you were never averse to signing experienced riders to take their place if, for some reason, they were not available or there was no youngster good enough to be highly competitive at NL level.

Are you saying that Scunthorpe should not replace a rider with a guest of a similar average?

Young, successful riders have attained a high enough average to enable them to be replaced by a rider of the same/similar average. If that guest rider is an older or more mature rider that is not the fault of Scunthorpe - it is the fault of other teams who have not developed younger riders for Scunthorpe to use.

Are you expecting Scunthorpe to use a less-experienced rider - and therefore lower the standard of their competitiveness? Should Scunthorpe be the only team to be disadvantaged in this way just to prove that they do develop youngsters?

Older, more mature riders are available for Scunthorpe to use as guests because other teams use older, more mature riders. Neither the other teams or Scunthorpe are using those riders illegally. Scunthorpe prefer to use their own riders - but when they can't, like any other team, they will use guests at the same standard. Blame the system which encourages other teams to use these experienced riders in their team all the time - not Scunthorpe for using them as guests.

Are you saying that Scunthorpe should not replace a rider with a guest of a similar average?

Young, successful riders have attained a high enough average to enable them to be replaced by a rider of the same/similar average. If that guest rider is an older or more mature rider that is not the fault of Scunthorpe - it is the fault of other teams who have not developed younger riders for Scunthorpe to use.

Are you expecting Scunthorpe to use a less-experienced rider - and therefore lower the standard of their competitiveness? Should Scunthorpe be the only team to be disadvantaged in this way just to prove that they do develop youngsters?

Older, more mature riders are available for Scunthorpe to use as guests because other teams use older, more mature riders. Neither the other teams or Scunthorpe are using those riders illegally. Scunthorpe prefer to use their own riders - but when they can't, like any other team, they will use guests at the same standard. Blame the system which encourages other teams to use these experienced riders in their team all the time - not Scunthorpe for using them as guests.

No, I am not saying that at all.

Read the list of experienced and/or older riders I have listed because none of them were guests. If you want a few more I will name them as well.

This is what Rob Godfrey has said in the article, giving it as a reason for pulling out of the NL:

'There are too many teams out to win at all costs and bringing older riders in'.

He did precisely that when Scunny were a stand alone club, evidenced by those riders I have named. When his young riders were out, he didn't hesitate to bring in experienced riders (not as guests but members of the squad). What he didn't do was promote a young junior instead (unless that junior was highly competitive).

That means he was perfectly prepared to use older riders to win matches when Scunny were a stand alone club. Win at all costs ? I'd say so.

Make no mistake, I don't blame him for that. What I can't stomach is that now that Scunny's position has changed he is trying to stop others doing exactly the same thing.

Just to show I am not blinkered, this aside I have nothing but the greatest regard for Scunthorpe Speedway and have said so many times.