British Speedway Forum

just to let the organizers know I'm available for the Cardiff wildcard, my mom is welsh lol :lol:

• Like 3

I am just pleased that Andy gets the second track reserve jacket for the meeting. He will be fit to ride.

So if Greg Hancock manages to retain his World Championship, he can say that he beat Jason Bunyan!!! :shock:

I'll give Gary Allan a call!

Edited by Bomo1

. Bunyan is well known for speedway in NZ so not the worst pick for tickets sales to the locals!

If the organisers need Bunyan to boost ticket sales then Id be very worried.If 'a name' is needed then ask Ivan to come out to play for the day.That would sell more tickets and wouldnt devalue the competition any more.

Does anyone seriously think it was going to be a top Euorpean performer? To send out there equipment to NZ for one meeting which in the grand scheme of things wont mean too much to them. The logistics of it meant that i thought it would be an Aussie or someone who rides in NZ regulary ie Bunyan (6 times NZ champ) or Ricky Wells who was born there i think. Bunyan is well known for speedway in NZ so not the worst pick for tickets sales to the locals!

Goodonya Woz01! One serious comment is almost overwhelmed by imbecilic reactions from members who sadly know no better than to rubbish people. Would any of the moronic detractors like to put up the money that the NZ Government has given to ensure this GP goes ahead? At one time it was bruited that an Aussie rider would take the wild card, and indeed two to my knowledge were approached, however the Nz Gov't made it a stipulation of ensuring their financial backing that a Kiwi, or in this case a six-time NZ Champion, would represent them at THEIR home GP. If any of you don't like it, let's see the colour of your money, OK? As it is, you're only displaying your ignorance; you really have no idea how these things are arranged, have you?.

Edited by BigFatDave
  • Like 3

...absolutely hilarious!

Have they not learnt from the mistake of picking Carpenese every year??!!

If the organisers need Bunyan to boost ticket sales then Id be very worried.If 'a name' is needed then ask Ivan to come out to play for the day.That would sell more tickets and wouldnt devalue the competition any more.

So the locals dont have a right to support a well known rider in NZ who does a lot for NZ speedway just because some speedway snobs think he is rubbish, get over yourself. All gps should have a local rider at least as wildcard if it's possible, yes they might get 00000 but that's not really the issue. If speedway is serious about expanding than this sort of thing needs to happen.

• Like 3

So the locals dont have a right to support a well known rider in NZ who does a lot for NZ speedway just because some speedway snobs think he is rubbish, get over yourself. All gps should have a local rider at least as wildcard if it's possible, yes they might get 00000 but that's not really the issue. If speedway is serious about expanding than this sort of thing needs to happen.

I HAVE my doubts about the choice, too, but understand as does woz01 why it was made. Having a GP in NZ is very much about trying to encourage the growth of speedway there and having a local in such an event will hopefully illustrate to young ruiners what can be achieved. It is Bill Buckley who is taking a massive financial risk here and his view has to be respected.

Jason's participation may not excite people in the UK or Europe but, with respect, they are not the ones who will purchase tickets. And Bunyan has shown a great deal of loyalty to speedway in NZ at a time when it has been at a very low ebb and in that respect at least this reward is not misplaced.

• Like 1

I have the greatest respect for all riders, Jason Bunyan included. My initial reaction is that he will struggle in such company, and probably in his thoughts as well. I hope that he's given some support machinery wise, as it's a difficult ask for him, even with some back up. The decision for the promoters is extremely difficult. Remember, it's their money at stake. A comfortable decision would have been to ignore New Zealand, and stay within the proven confines of Europe. To me, this shows that the aim is to make the series, in time, truly global. The hope must be, and I suspect will happen, that Australia will be in the series at some point in the near future. They certainly should be with their presence in the competition over many years, as one of the World's leading nations.

I believe the NZ deal is for three years initially, so there is a huge commitment from Mr Buckley & Co, on what is unknown territory. As we all know, NZ has a huge past history of twelve World Individual World Championships to their name, but the most recent one being over thirty years ago. Almost all of the younger NZ generation, will know nothing of (Solo) speedway, with most venues running on a clay base for cars. So if the casual visitor thinks they may have a night at the GP, a NZ representative is a must. And Jason Bunyan's six times NZ Champion makes him the only candidate I initially thought someone like Rory Schlein, or Troy Batchelor, would liven up proceedings, but recognising the sporting needle between NZ & OZ, a wild card to the oppostion is not a sensible commercial choice.

So let's credit the organisers for having the courage to take this monumental step. They will, of course, have looked at many different options, to have finally come up with the end decision. Let's also congratulate Jason Bunyan on accepting such a daunting challenge. (please don't wear the camaflaged trousers!). Let us also hope this is the beginning of a revival of speedway in NZ, and is also the beginning of a truly global competition that will , rightfully, go from strength to strength.

I HAVE my doubts about the choice, too, but understand as does woz01 why it was made. Having a GP in NZ is very much about trying to encourage the growth of speedway there and having a local in such an event will hopefully illustrate to young ruiners what can be achieved. It is Bill Buckley who is taking a massive financial risk here and his view has to be respected.

Jason's participation may not excite people in the UK or Europe but, with respect, they are not the ones who will purchase tickets. And Bunyan has shown a great deal of loyalty to speedway in NZ at a time when it has been at a very low ebb and in that respect at least this reward is not misplaced.

That's all well and good, but how do you think this may make the people of NZ perceive their Speedway? - their multi-times national champion is likely to be 1/4 of a lap behind!

Franchitti in Italy and Kus in Prague have proved a wild card who is allegedly out of his depth can upset the establishment.

I bet there have been others over the years

Give it your best Jason and enjoy it.........

Edited by guestie8

Goodonya Woz01! One serious comment is almost overwhelmed by imbecilic reactions from members who sadly know no better than to rubbish people. Would any of the moronic detractors like to put up the money that the NZ Government has given to ensure this GP goes ahead? At one time it was bruited that an Aussie rider would take the wild card, and indeed two to my knowledge were approached, however the Nz Gov't made it a stipulation of ensuring their financial backing that a Kiwi, or in this case a six-time NZ Champion, would represent them at THEIR home GP. If any of you don't like it, let's see the colour of your money, OK? As it is, you're only displaying your ignorance; you really have no idea how these things are arranged, have you?.

Fair play if its a stipulation from the NZ govt.I wasnt aware of that.I suppose it is rather naive to expect the sporting side of matters to be more important than money and politics in this day and age. :sad: