British Speedway Forum

So why not have an Australian as the wildcard then?

Because the NZ authorities who are stumping up some of the cash to get the event off the ground have insisted on someone more associated with NZ speedway. No money-no event.

• Like 1

Cos the Kiwi's hate the Ozzies more than the Scots hate the English.

The feeling is reciprocated, I can assure you -

- but let's face it, when your only other neighbours are penguins who else are you gonna hate? In fact, since today's Strayaday, we're going one step further -
Edited by BigFatDave

Can't believe how much people are complaining.... People want to see Speedway go global, New Zealand have someone prepared to stump up the cash over 3 years to try and help it happen, then they complain when the 1 little thing in response is that they would like to see a rider who has a bit of a background in New Zealand Speedway taking part.

Why do people seem to think having a 'top class' wildcard is going to make a huge amount of difference..... the extra cost involved to get that rider here is a start, but also it is not as though that wildcard is going to win the World title... they are there for just 1 meeting, not the whole series.

Let Jason have his chance, let New Zealand have their opportunity to try and develop Speedway once again in the lesser nations, and more importantly lets try to help Speedway go even more global.....

Because the NZ authorities who are stumping up some of the cash to get the event off the ground have insisted on someone more associated with NZ speedway. No money-no event.

And the Welsh authorities stump up the cash for the British GP but I see no Welshman in the meeting.

But it's not relevant to this arguement, the suggestion was riders compete in a GP for themselves not a country, that being the case why does someones Nationality matter? Thing is, we all know thats rubbish, riders do compete for the Nation they're representing, wether they care or not (and in most cases I doubt they care at all)

I've known a lot of world finalists and none of them race speedway to race for their country, they race for themselves and will do almost anything to get there. Once they are there then their country might come into it

I've known a lot of world finalists and none of them race speedway to race for their country, they race for themselves and will do almost anything to get there. Once they are there then their country might come into it

What are you on about. We all know a rider rides for himself, it is the "World Individual Speedway Campionship" the clue is in the title. Thats not in doubt, what was being discussed was what nations colours a rider wears on his body colour and despite some of the nonsensical posts on here the answer is the flag of the nation that issues his racing license. Unless you are Egon Muller in 1977 and then you refuse to wear a body colour at all!!!

What are you on about. We all know a rider rides for himself, it is the "World Individual Speedway Campionship" the clue is in the title. Thats not in doubt, what was being discussed was what nations colours a rider wears on his body colour and despite some of the nonsensical posts on here the answer is the flag of the nation that issues his racing license. Unless you are Egon Muller in 1977 and then you refuse to wear a body colour at all!!!

So the fact that he has a NZ licence as well as a UK one seems to pass a few by

• Like 1

I have never posted on here before because the endless crying bores me tbh. However I have learnt that Jason Bunyan is the Wild Card for the NZ GP. Cue endless crying! Well for me I'm buzzing at the prospect of him taking part and can't wait, I actually stood on the terraces watching him a couple of years ago when with Stoke and the NZ GP was rumoured. I said then I'd bet money he'd get the Wild Card and should have put a few quid down! gutted ha! Anyway, for me it's reminded me a little of when Stoney was in the GP and lets face facts people love it when the underdog mixes it with the big I am's! I Just hope his injury problems are sorted and that he can maybe get hold of or borrow some decent equipment for the meeting, if so I believe he'll mix it with anyone Hancock to Harris and not even blink! Anyway enough from me. Love your sport, stop crying and enjoy the GP. I will :-)

FIM rules state that a Wild Card entry has to ride on a Licence issued by the Country staging the GP.

NOT sure about that. Zagar in Italy, Ward in Poland. All riders competing in a GP have to possess a FIM international licence which covers Grand Prix events.

nz dont hate aussie,we just hate loosing to them.if an aussie was chosen to ride as the wild card for the nz gp would of been stoked cos aussie have alot of talent.as for jason.good luck ,but not that i think he should of ben chosen.as for you....the hammer! maybe u should hop on a bike and see how you go ,as u seem to think you know all about riding a solo.give the nz riders some respect,as overseas guys have way more experience! nz riders do well considering the ride time they all get compared to international riders.

Anyway enough about the wildcard.

I really can't wait for the first GP of the season, the biggest decision has to be whether to stay up all night or to get up early and watch it!!

Schedule it for a reasonable time so it doesn't interrupt my sleep.

Will you be up at 10am on a Saturday Cookie ?

That way they can start at 11pm - do you think they will go with that??

There's something very nice about waking up to live speedway, like when the SWC was rained off and re-arranged. Tell you what push it back to 11am and i'll consider it.