British Speedway Forum

If you disagree with Hammer that speed into the first bend is the area where kiwi riders are perhaps lacking, what do you think is the main area that they need to improve on to be more competitive with international riders?

hammer wasnt talking about first corners....welli hope he wasnt cos i feel the kiwis gated well,they need more ride time and xactly what kiwi said,better equipment.alot of the north islanders had really rough gear,wether they are paying for it themselves tho as they are quite young still.where the south boys had really good gear.and i agree with kiwi,listen more and have a better attitude,if you want it go chase it and remember it doesnt come easy as everyone would be doing it.overseas experience is a must! as thats where the pace is.

Snap! We have the same problem in the UK!

Yeah I've seen your drinking SCB so I'd agree :D

edit: and SilverBee doesn't listen....

Edited by thehammer

hammer wasnt talking about first corners....welli hope he wasnt cos i feel the kiwis gated well,they need more ride time and xactly what kiwi said,better equipment.alot of the north islanders had really rough gear,wether they are paying for it themselves tho as they are quite young still.where the south boys had really good gear.and i agree with kiwi,listen more and have a better attitude,if you want it go chase it and remember it doesnt come easy as everyone would be doing it.overseas experience is a must! as thats where the pace is.

Sorry hadn't seen this reply as when I last posted my computer didn't take it to this page! :blink:

From what I have seen the Kiwi riders certainly didn't have the issue out of the gate, sometimes the 1st corner looked like they may have backed out a little in certain situations, but on the whole from my perspective it was more a case of trying to overtake and force their way through into a higher position.

The big difference here, other than obvious experience and track time, is probably down to the fact that near enough all, if not all, of the Kiwi riders do this more as their hobby at the moment.... this means to pay the bills etc they are having to work a lot more outside of the sport. This could be something at the back of their minds at times too. I certainly know of a rider who has had to think about going to certain meetings because of affording the time off, and here-in is where the big difference lays.

Having said all that the commitment and riding shown yesterday in the NZ Final I thought was a big step up from some of the riders so well done to those that have used the experiences against the International Riders and started to implement it in their own racing :D

One big story that has come out of New Zealand yesterday though was that NZ will not be represented by 6 time National Champion in the NZ Grand Prix, Jason Bunyan any more........ they will be represented by 7 times National Champion, Jason Bunyan instead :wink:

You guys in NZ should aim to achieve what the Argentineans have achieved.

Are You aware of how good their International Speedway series has become?

By the way, has anybody in NZ thougth about who will do the track announcing/commentating at the Western Springs stadium for this SGP?

Will the FIM/BSI/IMG/SPG oragnisation bring someone over with inside knowlegde about Solo speedway or will the public have to cope with the track's regular race caller, who might know a hell lot about cars, but probably next to nothing about the solo bike scene.

This could be an important factor to make the meetng an enjoyable event for the crowd, or spoil it altogether.

Perhaps Phil Rising can give an answer or raise the question with the responsible people.

By the way, has anybody in NZ thougth about who will do the track announcing/commentating at the Western Springs stadium for this SGP?

Will the FIM/BSI/IMG/SPG oragnisation bring someone over with inside knowlegde about Solo speedway or will the public have to cope with the track's regular race caller, who might know a hell lot about cars, but probably next to nothing about the solo bike scene.

This could be an important factor to make the meetng an enjoyable event for the crowd, or spoil it altogether.

Perhaps Phil Rising can give an answer or raise the question with the responsible people.

I DON'T know the answer but will raise the question when I get back to the UK next week.

I DON'T know the answer but will raise the question when I get back to the UK next week.

i would of thought it would be the normal double act pearson and tatum :rofl:

Sorry hadn't seen this reply as when I last posted my computer didn't take it to this page! :blink:

From what I have seen the Kiwi riders certainly didn't have the issue out of the gate, sometimes the 1st corner looked like they may have backed out a little in certain situations, but on the whole from my perspective it was more a case of trying to overtake and force their way through into a higher position.

wouldnt matter if he was 15 time nz champ, still only an average prem league standard rider.

The big difference here, other than obvious experience and track time, is probably down to the fact that near enough all, if not all, of the Kiwi riders do this more as their hobby at the moment.... this means to pay the bills etc they are having to work a lot more outside of the sport. This could be something at the back of their minds at times too. I certainly know of a rider who has had to think about going to certain meetings because of affording the time off, and here-in is where the big difference lays.

Having said all that the commitment and riding shown yesterday in the NZ Final I thought was a big step up from some of the riders so well done to those that have used the experiences against the International Riders and started to implement it in their own racing :D

One big story that has come out of New Zealand yesterday though was that NZ will not be represented by 6 time National Champion in the NZ Grand Prix, Jason Bunyan any more........ they will be represented by 7 times National Champion, Jason Bunyan instead :wink:

wouldnt matter if he was 15 time nz champion he is only an average standard premier league rider, plus the oposition cant be that good if he keeps winning but as you say there part time riders and no one else seems bothered about riding in it. still a very poor choice for the wildcard but i expect that from the bsi now.

Edited by The Know
  • Like 1

With Auckland booked into the circuit for the next three years, IMG reps were in Oz last month looking again at the two main contenders for an Aussie GP for next season, Gillman and Kurri Kurri, with a view to running a GP in Oz next year either the week before or after NZ. Potential Government support is being lobbied for, but according to local Speedway Bible Speedway Racing News IMG are prepared to promote it themselves if no Federal or State funding is available.

Meanwhile up in Kurri Kurri Campo is getting ready to shut up shop in the week before NZGP as Jason Crump & a few of his GP mates are planning on using the track for an intensive training session behind closed doors, before heading to the Land of the Wrong White Crowd.

Any news on whether Nigel & Kelvin are flying out yet, Phillip? Less than three weeks now to the first Southern Hemisphere GP in a decade, and excitement is building among the Aussie Army of Supporters as we prepare to raise the National IQ level across the Tasman.

With Auckland booked into the circuit for the next three years, IMG reps were in Oz last month looking again at the two main contenders for an Aussie GP for next season, Gillman and Kurri Kurri, with a view to running a GP in Oz next year either the week before or after NZ. Potential Government support is being lobbied for, but according to local Speedway Bible Speedway Racing News IMG are prepared to promote it themselves if no Federal or State funding is available.

Meanwhile up in Kurri Kurri Campo is getting ready to shut up shop in the week before NZGP as Jason Crump & a few of his GP mates are planning on using the track for an intensive training session behind closed doors, before heading to the Land of the Wrong White Crowd.

Any news on whether Nigel & Kelvin are flying out yet, Phillip? Less than three weeks now to the first Southern Hemisphere GP in a decade, and excitement is building among the Aussie Army of Supporters as we prepare to raise the National IQ level across the Tasman.

THE Sky commentator team (Nigel Pearson and Chris Louis) will be working from London but the world feed, which I believe is what will be heard in Oz, includes Steve Johnston.

Potential Government support is being lobbied for, but according to local Speedway Bible Speedway Racing News IMG are prepared to promote it themselves if no Federal or State funding is available.

Why would they take the financial risk themselves? I can't see how an Aussie GP at a low key venue (with all due respect to Gillman and Kurri Kurri) could possibly hope to break even without external funding.

And of course the obvious question is if IMG/BSI willing to promote an Aussie GP, why have they waited until now? :blink:

Why would they take the financial risk themselves? I can't see how an Aussie GP at a low key venue (with all due respect to Gillman and Kurri Kurri) could possibly hope to break even without external funding.

And of course the obvious question is if IMG/BSI willing to promote an Aussie GP, why have they waited until now? :blink:

I cannot see it going ahead without outside backing and sponsors, but then again maybe BSI are now ready to take a risk. Wouldnt have thought it will make much money though. Perhaps it will be a three leg tour in 2013, NZ / AUS/ USA then back to EU for rest of season. Overall maybe be profitable to do that way and highten the sgp exposeure.

I cannot see it going ahead without outside backing and sponsors, but then again maybe BSI are now ready to take a risk. Wouldnt have thought it will make much money though. Perhaps it will be a three leg tour in 2013, NZ / AUS/ USA then back to EU for rest of season. Overall maybe be profitable to do that way and highten the sgp exposeure.

THIS is the second time we have agreed recently. I am getting seriously worried!

Better start saving!!! Thats a tour

THIS is the second time we have agreed recently. I am getting seriously worried!

:lol: yep is getting worring ;) maybe we should sit down and ave a chat at one gp over a beer, think we might agree on quite a few things really.

Better start saving!!! Thats a tour

abd book several weeks off work :t: