British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wes lake

Scott Autrey

Guest wes lake

You always hear about Bruce Penhall but in my opinion one of the greatest American riders was Scott Autrey he came over completley cold and stuck it out for many years, when many went back to the states tail between their legs he stuck it out,was one of the most consistant riders I have seen, a complete gentlemen.Always had time for us supporters, he was the first of a new breed of profesionals. Around Exeter a legend, left England to soon was destined to be one of the greats. He was not razzamatz just an out and out racer. Loved the sport that we love. Scott you were the man! Wherever you are. RESPECT

there was a thread on him not too long ago as he celebrated his 50th birthday...

Mauger/Autrey partnership at Exeter...awesome

think this thread was started near hmmmmmmm 9th July don't know why this date sticks in my mind :lol::wink:

maybe it was a real bad day in 1967

Apparently the sun was shining, dad was combining and at 3:30pm babybird was born!!! and that my dear friend still makes me younger than you :lol:

Scott Autrey is probably the most important American rider to have competed in Europe. As Wes Lake stated, he was the first rider to enjoy success and to stick it out. He really opened the door for other Americans to go abroad. Although several riders had already gone across the Atlantic by then, I don't think that it is a coincidence that his 3rd Place at Wembley in 1978 really opened up the floodgates for Americans to go to Europe. I think the next several years probably marked the largest exodus from the States to Europe. His rostrum finish erased any doubt that Americans could succeed at the top level. It is a shame that Autrey has become all but a forgotten man here in the U.S. Probably because he rarely made rider returns and then never competed in Southern California after retiring from England. If Autrey doesn't succeed in England, perhaps you never see the likes of Penhall, Sigalos, Schwartz, the Morans, and in later years, Ermolenko, Hancock, and Hamill.

Scott Autrey is probably the most important American rider to have competed in Europe. As Wes Lake stated, he was the first rider to enjoy success and to stick it out.

Ever heard of Jack Milne............... Ryan?

World Champion '1937' :wink:

(1st Jack Milne USA and New Cross, 2nd Wilber Lamoreaux USA and Wimbledon 3rd Cordy Milne USA and Hackney Wick. In front of a Wembley crowd of 85,000)

I think Ryan was trying to point out that Scott Autrey's success had a huge influence on American speedway resulting in the likes of Penhall, Schwartz, Sigalos, Cook, Morans, Preston, Gresham, etc, etc, giving Britain a try, Jack Milne's success probably didn't have quite the same effect.

Without a doubt Jack Milne enjoyed greater individual success, but did his success prompt the invasion of talent the same way that Scott Autrey's did? Before my time, but i don't think so.

It was only after Scott's success that America could produce a seven or eight man team capable of holding their own against England in England, probably no coincidence there, although the Ivan Mauger/Barry Briggs inspired World teams that raced in California in the eiarly seventies probably got the momentum going also..

Scott also started his British career at one of the largest/fastest tracks around, not sure where Scott started his American career but you don't get much different than Exeter and Costa Mesa.

i think all valid points, but do think scott autrey had the advantage of settling at bailie house, adopting his english family, namely the middleditches, something the others didnt have. its not like he had to move into a dingy flat on his own to figure which way was up or down...so in some ways i think he had an advantage...i can sure think of worse scenarios..... :neutral:

i think all valid points, but do think scott autrey had the advantage of settling at bailie house, adopting his english family, namely the middleditches, something the others didnt have. its not like he had to move into a dingy flat on his own to figure which way was up or down...so in some ways i think he had an advantage...i can sure think of worse scenarios..... :neutral:

Reminds me of Erik Gundersen's arrival in Britain, living in a dingy flat above a butchers shop in a not so nice part of Wolverhampton, must of given him all the inspiration he needed. He prepared for the 1981 World Final whilst living there.

Imagine some rising star preparing for a World Championship in conditions like that these days?

they should, sort of like the movie Rocky.. :) off topic, but think Bernie Persson was a great... B)

Edited by sandman