British Speedway Forum

If the crowds really are as high as people are saying, then Bowden is basically throwing away a golden opportunity with terrible signings like Werner. Newport did the same in the early 2000's, probably one of the biggest fan bases in British Speedway as a whole at the end of 1999, but a series of crap teams saw the crowd quickly fall away.

There is only so long these fans will stick by Bowden, he still has time to build a really decent team with the riders out there. Barker and Ashworth are as strong a top 2 as any, Boxall has potential and Glanz could be a shrewd signing on 3. Holder won't improve, but probably won't get any worse this season either. As a reserve he makes sense, as a No.2 he is probably out of his depth. Cockle seems to have won his place on merit.

1. Ben Barker 9.87

2. Steve Boxall 5.69

3. James Holder 4.00

4. Ricky Ashworth 8.39

5. (Travis McGowan 7.49)

6. James Cockle 3.69

7. Nicki Glanz 3.00

They have 7.86 left for a genuine heatleader if you discount Werner; look at the riders suggested on the Berwick site for suggestions. Even at his peak I doubt Werner ever averaged 7.86 without bonus points, let alone now after missing an entire season and averaging around 2 in his last go at speedway.

I have nothing against Brent Werner who may be a nice bloke, but I think it's a huge shame for Plymouth fans and the decent riders left out there that Bowden hasn't taken advantage of having Barker for another season.

JT.

If the crowds really are as high as people are saying, then Bowden is basically throwing away a golden opportunity with terrible signings like Werner. Newport did the same in the early 2000's, probably one of the biggest fan bases in British Speedway as a whole at the end of 1999, but a series of crap teams saw the crowd quickly fall away.

There is only so long these fans will stick by Bowden, he still has time to build a really decent team with the riders out there. Barker and Ashworth are as strong a top 2 as any, Boxall has potential and Glanz could be a shrewd signing on 3. Holder won't improve, but probably won't get any worse this season either. As a reserve he makes sense, as a No.2 he is probably out of his depth. Cockle seems to have won his place on merit.

1. Ben Barker 9.87

2. Steve Boxall 5.69

3. James Holder 4.00

4. Ricky Ashworth 8.39

5. (Travis McGowan 7.49)

6. James Cockle 3.69

7. Nicki Glanz 3.00

They have 7.86 left for a genuine heatleader if you discount Werner; look at the riders suggested on the Berwick site for suggestions. Even at his peak I doubt Werner ever averaged 7.86 without bonus points, let alone now after missing an entire season and averaging around 2 in his last go at speedway.

I have nothing against Brent Werner who may be a nice bloke, but I think it's a huge shame for Plymouth fans and the decent riders left out there that Bowden hasn't taken advantage of having Barker for another season.

JT.

After the signing of James Holder was announced this was the sort of team that many on the Devils forum were hoping for. A McGowan / Cook style 3rd heat leader would at least make Plymouth competitive. However Mr Bowden doesn't seem interested in providing his fans with a winning team that costs more money than a poor one. He would rather have a team that makes him an extra few quid each week it's sad but true.

After the signing of James Holder was announced this was the sort of team that many on the Devils forum were hoping for. A McGowan / Cook style 3rd heat leader would at least make Plymouth competitive. However Mr Bowden doesn't seem interested in providing his fans with a winning team that costs more money than a poor one. He would rather have a team that makes him an extra few quid each week it's sad but true.

It looks as though Mr Bowden has had a few diodes attached to his wallet so that money can flow in but nothing can come out.

Building a team on a shoe string budget is fine until the shoe string breaks then watch the $*it hit the fan

Edited by CMO

NOTHING will be posted onto bspa site untill plymouth release a press releaseeven if bspa got the contracts they want a press release. look at berwicks line up they still got kozza smithlisted but he is injured

NOTHING will be posted onto bspa site untill plymouth release a press releaseeven if bspa got the contracts they want a press release. look at berwicks line up they still got kozza smithlisted but he is injured

The Badnits could start season with Smith in their 1-7, i.e. using R/R.

Edited by Lovey

Didn't take long for the PL boys to get wise to Bowden, news travels fast.

Known Mike Bowden for well over 30 years and still would not trust him any further than I could see him without my specs, and thats not more than a few inches

Find it odd that Werner is being considered. Has been in decline for a while even before he stopped racing.

Surely there are better options?

The Badnits could start season with Smith in their 1-7, i.e. using R/R.

Thought a rider had to complete at least 1 match in the current season before R/R could be used, I could be wrong.

Thought a rider had to complete at least 1 match in the current season before R/R could be used, I could be wrong.

That sounds like a sensible rule........ so r/r is is then!!! :lol:

That is the usual situation.

Interesting use of the word "threat" in the article on the www.thisisplymouth.co.uk website. I think there's a spare "h" in there.

If fans are annoying Bowden, maybe it's time to organise a roadside stall on Friday nights, selling effergies & burning crosses - should do a roaring trade.

Interesting use of the word "threat" in the article on the www.thisisplymouth.co.uk website. I think there's a spare "h" in there.

If fans are annoying Bowden, maybe it's time to organise a roadside stall on Friday nights, selling effergies & burning crosses - should do a roaring trade.

He won't go, it's all a smoke screen, it's his living and a bloody good one too, he wants sympathy hence why yet again for the millionth time we are reminded that Mr Bowden "single-handedly" started the club. When all is said and done if he ran the club in the right way and treated the people that put the money in his back pocket with an ounce of respect and not contempt I doubt many would moan!

Can I ask a question here...Does anyone know what a promoters licence is worth? I mean how much do they cost from the BSPA in the first place? Can it actually be sold by promoter to promoter or does any new promoter have to go to the BSPA first?