British Speedway Forum
Dogstar

Greg Hancock World Champion

Out of interest, does anyone know what the previous longest gap between world titles was?

7 years; Peter Craven in 1955 & 1962.

Ivan had 11 years, 68 to 79. TRick had 11, 94 to 05.

I think thats it. No doubt someone will prove me wrong.

No you misunderstand. They won titles in between that. How many years BETWEEN titles?

Edit: thanks Sotonian, that's what I was looking for :)

Edited by ImpartialOne

Congratulations to Greg! I missed his first world championship as it was a few years later when I got into speedway as a kid. Fortunately I became a Coventry supporter at a time when I was lucky enough to see him ride week in, week out for the Bees, he instantly became my family's favourite rider and a childhood hero to me! I've spent the last 11 years watching the GPs cheering Greg on in particular and often thought he'd maybe just missed out on his chance to become champion again, but finally, he's proved me wrong and he's done it again at last!

Greg Hancock 2X World Champion! :cheers:

First and foremost well done Grin on your second title, the best rider this year by a distance :cheers:

However I do find it disturbing that the last 2 champions have been in there 40's ... maybe Sudden Sam retired too early :wink:

Congratulations Grin... what a truly magnificent year.

One of speedways true gentleman. Now for 2012... you

know you can do it.

Just a word for Tomasz Gollob, who has been another really

good example of a worthy Champion. He took losing his crown

with grace and despite a horrendous year, has maintained his

dignity. Well done Tomek.

It seems to be the OAP's time right now... well in speedway

terms anyhow... :wink: It just goes to show, you're never

too old.

Well Done again Grin, 2011 World Speedway Champion.

Yes---brilliant---not only has Greg become world champion again after FOURTEEN years but at the age of forty one as well!!! Many of us will remember Ivan saying that he expected his record of six wins to be beaten ( it's only been equalled) but he didn't expect anyone to win at the age of nearly forty as he did in 1979. Well what can you say but well done Greg and you thoroughly deserve the niche you have carved for yourself in the history of speedway.

Not bad for a gating Spoon :lol:

Let's hope the septics can use this to get raise the profile/standard back home.

Well done Greg :cheers:

Congratulations Greg. Never imagined last year that he would be in this position but he's been superb this year, so happy that he's sealed a 2nd title.

Funny that when Emil burst onto the scene there was talk of this "new guard" taking over and all it seems to have done it spur the old boys on :D

really pleased for Hancock. he deserved it and is such a nice guy.

Was great seeing out coventry boys in Greg and harris and Andreas doing so well last night. :)

Hancock has proved himself to be the most consistant and best rider this year and is a deserved World Champion.

Congrats Greg, a nicer guy you couldn't wish to meet.Just wish you would grace our shores again before you retire.