British Speedway Forum

Can anybody who has been to Gorzow let us know what the town/city is like? Where the main airports would be and what nearby cities may be better to stay in?

Looking at this as a possibility for 2012.

Can anybody who has been to Gorzow let us know what the town/city is like? Where the main airports would be and what nearby cities may be better to stay in?

Looking at this as a possibility for 2012.

Normally.I would advise go to the meeting and stay somewhere else, as the town is ordinary to say the least. For June 2012 be very, very careful indeed if going to Gorzow, as you would be going bang in the middle of Euro Finals. Gorzow is home to the infamous Stilon Fighters, one of the most notorious hooligan gangs in Poland.

The football authorities know that the Stilon Fighters along with other Polish gangs have targeted English, Dutch and German fans as their main priority. Unfortunately these gangs are none too bright, and I would be concerned at their ability to differentiate between football or speedway fans.

My good friend James Easter has just returned from a highly successful tour based in Berlin. That would be my choice, stay in Berlin, travel to Gorzow on the day of the meeting, spend as little time there as possible and return immediately afterwards.

Sorry if I sound a little alarmist, but I do feel that there will be a hooligan problem whilst the football is on, and it may be worth giving the whole place a wide berth until the competition is over.

I was just about to ask about Gorzow, also looking at this. Wondering if people who have been to GP's before could tell me about how much it costs in total to go to a GP in Poland, and if they would recommend Gorzow or Torun?

I was just about to ask about Gorzow, also looking at this. Wondering if people who have been to GP's before could tell me about how much it costs in total to go to a GP in Poland, and if they would recommend Gorzow or Torun?

Jonesy,went to Leszno back in April for the GP and it cost about £18-£20 for a good seat.Last year went to Bydgoszcz for the GP and whole weekend cost me about £130(flights,accomodation,travel in Poland and a few beers thrown in too.All done independently also).Went to Torun 3 weeks ago for Ekstraliga play-off meet,and the stadium and town of Torun is wonderful.Haven't been Gorzow as yet(BFD is your fella to ask about Gorzow),but know that the stadium is superb,but the town is a bit of a downer.Hope this helps you to make up your mind. :wink:

Edited by bluejam

(BFD is your fella to ask about Gorzow),but know that the stadium is superb,but the town is a bit of a downer.

I don't know as to how I'm the expert, 5FURROW's your man for all the lurks & perks, but I had a ball at Gorzow - the warmth and friendliness of the young ladies "selling cherries" by the roadside was most welcome, and very cheap too, even late at night in the park opposite my hotel! I can recommend the Qubus Hotel and the Sphinx Restaurant nearby; the stadium was within walking distance and a joy to visit, and everyone I spoke to was happy to meet me - "Australie - Jason Crump!" seemed to be all the English most of them possessed, and coupled with my sign language - :drink::drink::drink: - we got on real well! :cheers:

I went to the Torun Gp in August. We flew into Poznan. Bydgodzc would have been better. We got the train from Poznan to Torun.

Torun is beautiful. The people were very friendly. We were made to feel most welcome. Its a shame they moved the date to the last gp next year as it will be a lot cooler!! But not much chance of a rain off!!

it cost me and the wife £170 for the flights and £8 on the train. The hotel was £35 per night.. Speedway tickets about £40 for the best seats!!

I am torn between going back in October or heading to Gorican, Croatia in July...

We're just back from Gorzow and the whole experience there was good, however (not for the reasons noted by Mr Snackette) our group have already pretty much decided to give Gorzow a miss next year.

Poznan is only hosting 3 matches (assuming Ukraine finish their stadia), which are being held on 10th, 14th and 18th June, so with the GP on the 23rd I'd have thought the Poznan frenzy would have calmed a little, though doubtless there will still be a deal of profiteering going on.

This year, our group met up in Berlin, spent some time there, before getting the train through to Gorzow on the Saturday (about £6.50 single). Post GP, we arranged a minibus to take us to Poznan as we were going to the U21s in Gniezno on the Sunday.

Probably the cheapest and one of the most enjoyable 4 day GP trip we've done in a while, flights to Berlin from LHR on BA at about £100 (one of our group got Ryanair flights from Stansted for around £50 return), accomodation for 4 nights coming in at around £80 pp and another £40 or so in transportation. A couple of quid for :drink: and tucker and a grand weekend was had by all.

I certainly wouldn't put anyone off going to Gorzow for the speedway, but I'm not sure I'd ever rush to stay the night in the City. It definitely needs a little TLC. Cirying shame that the sun-kissed tourist friendly Torun in August won't happen next year and has been tucked away to Octobe.

Rico :rolleyes: