British Speedway Forum
Halifaxtiger

Nl Play Off Final

Only one word to describe last night - WOW

Congrats to both teams and best wishes to all clubs that come to the tapes in 2012

Nikko

I think clean cut sports do Mildenhalls dvd'

What an absolutlely breathtaking roller coaster ride of a meeting this was - absolutely compelling - I was perched above the pits watching the tale unfold.

With Steve's bikes going through 'open carb surgery' - Gary's gear being stripped down, Adam's tyres being stripped. Jonno and Ash kicking off and slapping helmets. Wow - what drama - Stefan's gear was strewn around - Lee Smethills sitting pensively - disbelief everywhere.

Gary Irving rallying round as chief cheerleader - I swear I saw a point where Stefan got a word of advice from Rob, then Eric Boocock, then Stuart Parnaby - bet he had three separate plans. It was unravelling before our eyes.

Then Heat 9 a chink of light appeared on the Saint's halo - 4-2 - Heroes started to appear - Scrapyard challenge fired into a puff of spent methanol - A titanic Heat 10 saw speedway soar back into the Fen air - Heeps lined up Richie and swept him away, leaving him in his methanol trail - Fen Tigers forged ahead again the lead ominously up to five for the Suffolk outfit

With the next four heats featuring the Aussie wonderkid twice as well as the almost unbeatable Lewis Blackbird and Dan Halsey - the mountain looked insurmountable.

The tacticals had been blown away, the sparring resolved, the interval huddle forgotten. Then the fighters climbed from the canvas - Richie Worrall, Ashley Birks, Richie Worrall - we were winning races - racing with head and hearts. Steve rode anything he could get his hands on - nicked a heat advantage with his twin.

Heat 14 down - but Saints still not quite out

15 came and down went the Saints - Blackbird touched Richie,the domino effect rippled - surely Lewis was the cause - the referee concurred.

I will never ever forget what happened next - My mate Chris and I banged the glass window hard in the fervour - Ash Birks looked up and a three way fist pumping second ensued - then adrenaline kicked in - next thing we were in the pits, standing shoulder to shoulder with the lads and families we have supported and cheered all season. Some that have become close friends and others that have also become people we have helped and sponsored to a frustratingly small degree.

The tapes were up and the Saints gated again - dare we believe - majestically they raced - the tension and emotion on the faces and hearts around us all. Then came the Aussie bullet - like a heat seeking missile he trailed hard - Birks led, Rich not far behind, but still came the pursuing Heeps. The flag dropped - Heeps surely didnt quite get the cm he missed by - did he - We were sure Rich had held him off - he had - the scenes that followed will be forever etched - riders, families, staff, friends, mechanics, promoters hugged and ran, and ran and hugged. Ashley was thrown - flags were collected and the walk went on.

Absolutely incredible - an unscriptable drama had emerged - the emotion spilled over.

Carlsberg dont do speedway, MGM or Disney Pixar dont do speedway

Fortunatley Mildenhall and Scunthorpe/Sheffield do - what an advert - what a day

The author of this story - makes no apology for the long list of superlatives - there arent enough to truly describe the emotion - that I swear everyone involved at the track, and online and via texts shared in -

My absolute total and utter respect to every member of the Mildenhall promotion, staff, team and supporters for their graciousness in defeat - they can be so very proud of themselves and the way they handled the day and the event. To see them shaking hands and applauding the effort shown was magnanamous. I doubt I will ever witness anything quite like this in sport - though, as Richard H said to me as we stood hugging, "you never ever know in speedway what can or may happen" - just before our eyes started to leak a little.

God bless the riders and all involved - long live speedway !

As the Danish often say - - - - - AWESOME - - - - - - :cheers::rofl:

IMG_0113.jpg

Edited by duffyscouse

Brilliant stuff Duffyscouse. A fantastic post which says it all about one hell of a meeting!

Duffyscouse - That was an absolutely brilliant bit of writing!!!

(have you been taking lessons from Mr Clements???)

Well was it ever in any doubt??? :o Lol

Outstanding meeting again as Friday was, the Fen Tigers were obviously up for it and rode really well and with a combination of falls from Ashley and bike problems for Steve it didn't look good for the Saints. Thankfully it all came good at the very last moment with Ashley and Richie in the last race and the Saints won in one of the most unbelievable meetings ever.

An brilliant advert for National League and good as anything if not better than EL/PL has provided this season. Hopefully Neil and Rob will reconsider their decision to not do NL next year and allow this combined Sheff/Scunny team to defend the title. I for one have enjoyed following this team and found the idea of a combined team quite refreshing. Sheffield and Scunthorpe have a friendly local rivalry in PL but hopefully the NL team will continue and benefit both sides in the future as the Prowlers did for us 10 years ago.

Anyone ever seen duffyscouse and Radio 5's Stuart Hall in the same room :D

IMG_0145.jpg

Hall or Duff ? :lol: - what a day

forgot add - Caneron Heeps was devastated - but those close picked him up and dusted him down - he's a little gem - I made a point of finding anyone in a Tiger suit to commiserate - they deserved it - men not boys left that stadium yesterday - both teams

Edited by duffyscouse

Duffyscouse, one of the best write ups i have ever read, niceone mate. :cheers:

Just seen that heat 15 finish on the local itv "about anglia" programme, my god it was so much closer than I realised at the time. Not sure who was responsible for getting tv coverage, but hats off to whoever it was,there was a short preview on friday and a longer report tonight.

Just seen that heat 15 finish on the local itv "about anglia" programme, my god it was so much closer than I realised at the time. Not sure who was responsible for getting tv coverage, but hats off to whoever it was,there was a short preview on friday and a longer report tonight.

is there a link or a player thingy for that????

Awesome post Duffy ;)

HUGE congratulations to everyone in the Saints camp - riders, mechanics, team managers, promoters, sponsors, etc. You all played your part.

Hugely impressed by everyone within the Saints setup. To come back from that was astonishing and showed immense character. Don't really want to single out anyone, but am personally delighted for Ashley. One of the genuinely nicest guys within the sport and I don't think there was a happier person in the stadium after heat 15!

Really hope the weekend has made messrs Godfrey & Machin think twice about next season. NL Speedway without Scunthorpe in some shape or form just doesn't sound right.

I think the meetings over the weekend has shown what a fantastic product the NL is - it's just a shame it doesn't always get the crowds it deserve.

Commiserations to Mildenhall. To lose out by a single point on your home shale must be heartbreaking, but you guys played a huge part in 2 of the very best meetings I have seen all season. Definitely the tensest! Oh, and congrats on your cup win!

Fantastic write up Duffyscouse :cheers:

Kicking myself for not going now. Talked myself out of it after seeing the score on Friday night. Just couldn't see Mildenhall getting anywhere close. How wrong was I.

I'm so pleased how the season has turned out for Mildenhall. If any bunch of fans deserve some good times, it has to be that mob. However, I'll make no secret that I wanted the Scunfield boys to win. Lots of admiration of the team they put together this season and of course especially pleased for young Crumpie Nielsen :party:

is there a link or a player thingy for that????

itv.com/anglia is the address. Click on full programme link, it's about 24 minutes in.

Just love that write up Duffyscouse, from the heart, where it should be coming from :D